what to remove?

Ok so building this car, get my motor back in 2 weeks and then that goes in. But i am now ready to gut the car. I am unsure of what to take out… I am wanting to follow spec e30 rules, but i am confused on how much the car has to weigh? It is a 325e but my motor is a I motor… What can i take out of the interior and what should i take out of the engine bay… Like a/c stuff or any extra wiring…ect ect… I dont want to get to the track for them to turn me down when the car is finished. I am really confused by all of the rules…LOL So any help would be great. Also is the a good write up on how to take out the sunroof?

Here are pics of the car

Basically, tape a copy of the Rules to the windshield and go down line-by-line. Take out exactly what is listed/allowed and leave everything else as it came from the factory.

Once you start, you will see that it’s fairly simple.

And the car looks like a good candidate.

Carter

well thanks, but what about the sunroof? Is there a good diy for it? All I come across are pics of a finished product…

did you try a search here for “sunroof”? That looks like it brings up a number of posts with how-to’s and tips.
cheers,
bruce

It’s more like what not to take out, than what to take out. Go through the rules and make a list of what to leave in.

Another good idea is to go look over a car that has already been prepped correctly, take lots of pictures, and go back to visit frequently. I had that to work with here and it helped alot.

You can take out all interior carpet, sound deadening, panels, trim, etc, ducts under the dash, AC blower assembly if you feel like it (and don’t want a defroster, I wish I left mine in), stereo, speakers, related wiring, amplifier in trunk (but leave in brake light controller box mounted to amp bracket), power antennaes, trunk lock mechanism, and countless other stuff. Save the 3rd brake light. And leave the trunk mat that is around the spare in place.

If you want to start removing wiring do so carefully with a wiring diagram. And as you take something loose, start the car, operate all the controls, and make sure you didn’t disconnect something by accident, then proceed on. I did this working on my car and managed to get rid of alot of unneeded circuits. Didn’t save any weight, but uncluttered things alot under the dash. The only thing I have not been able to get back working is the power mirrors, but since my seat is bolted in place that’s not a big deal.

Engine bay, the only thing I remember removing was the air conditioning system, the cooling fan and belts, and maybe some misc wiring. The windshield washer bottle will be reused as an overflow tank. The AC condensor fan will be reused as a cooling fan. I did remove all the cruise contol mechanism.

Keep your door panels. Keep the windows working (and switches) until you think you can do without the weight.

Keep every nut, bolt, screw, washer, etc that you take out. Some of those metric fasteners aren’t so easy to come across and you always need one for something when you start putting the dash back together.

Cool thanks man, I am just worried that i am gonna take out to much or not enough… I planned on keeping the door panels cause i dont plan on getting nascar bars for the doors. Also My car isnt running right now so i cant really unplug and check like you had said to do… So I probably wont be pulling any wires any time soon besides radio stuff.

Now with the scca correct me if I am wrong but this car is in ITS? Beacause i am going to run some SCCA events with the car when it is finished. I want to look at there rules at the same time as the spec e30 rules.

And last is there a for sale section on this forum? I want to look for some used suspension and well i cant find a for sale area.

You’ll find some used parts at www.bimmerforums.com and www.e30tech.com.

LOUMO wrote:

[quote]Ok so building this car
[/quote]

Oh noooooooo! It’s… BRONZIT!!!
(should we call the wrecker now?):stuck_out_tongue:

If you look on the left hand column of this site, you will see a Classifieds link.

If you’re also going to be running ITS, you need to be more careful.
I’d suggest copying the rules into a spreadsheet, and make notes line by line as to what you can/can’t do in both spec e30 and ITS. For example, in ITS, you’re not supposed to use an aftermarket shifter, and you’re supposed to disable the ABS. You can use any diff there as well.

There is no real substitute for reading and rereading the various rules and asking questions that arise.
cheers,
bruce

LOUMO wrote:

[quote]Cool thanks man, I am just worried that i am gonna take out to much or not enough… I planned on keeping the door panels cause i dont plan on getting nascar bars for the doors. Also My car isnt running right now so i cant really unplug and check like you had said to do… So I probably wont be pulling any wires any time soon besides radio stuff.

Now with the scca correct me if I am wrong but this car is in ITS? Beacause i am going to run some SCCA events with the car when it is finished. I want to look at there rules at the same time as the spec e30 rules.

And last is there a for sale section on this forum? I want to look for some used suspension and well i cant find a for sale area.[/quote]

yeah, i am not sure what to do as for a class… I am just kinda in a fork in the road.

Also what is bronzit??? and why should i be calling a tow truck?? LOL

I am gonna start with the basic’s tomorrow interior and what not and take out the a/c stuff from the fire wall up.

Ill post more pics of the progress tomorrow and let you guys know what i did and didnt do and if i have any other questions.

Thanks again!!!

oo and any advice is helpful

LOUMO wrote:

LOL… There’s a tale that Bronzit E30 race cars are bad luck on the track - they keep getting balled up. (Bronzit is BMW’s name for the color your car is painted). Not sure if there is any real truth to it or not.:huh: :dry: :woohoo:

hahaha, thats funny. I want to paint the car i am just not sure yet. I have a sponser and there colors would look stupid next to that bronze color. So the car might get painted white.

But my problem is i am 23 and I am kinda lacking money so this car is being built on a super budget. I am not sure if a paint job can be fit in that budget, and i dont think i can paint the car myself…LOL I dont think i would wanna look at it or drive it

there are massive discussion threads out there (google it) about painting your car with a roller in your garage. Ghetto, but it works.
bruce

I have seen those, I have a paint stuff at work so I am sure i can do it just need to be motivated.

I started to gut the car yesterday with the basics, seats, carpet, headliner, back panels, speakers. One thing that might suck is I found the car had a after market alarm so i need to trace those wires and take that out. I havent gotten into the trunk yet. I also noticed and i am gonna post a pic a big dent in the passenger floor board… the car is on a rebuild title, i want to make sure this is not gonna be a problem in any tech inspection. So i want to see what you guys think.

what is the best way to remove the sound tar on the floor, dry ice or heat gun?

I used heat and a scraper, then chemical adhesive remover (use lots of ventilation). I’ve heard of others having success with dry ice and whacking it.
bruce

LOUMO wrote:

[quote]yeah, i am not sure what to do as for a class… I am just kinda in a fork in the road.

any advice is helpful[/quote]

Identify who has the most races in your area and set up the car to run with them.

well that would be scca, I am pretty sure that is what i am gonna set the car up for.

But the other problem is I put some thought into this idea, i was thinking of just maybe building it as a track day car for now, due to the budget and me wanting to get back out on any track. I want to take my daily but i know that is a bad idea…

this is what i was thinking, tell me if i should wait or if this is a good idea. Get the motor in and running throw on my old race tires and start doing HPDE’s and slowly by the stuff needed to make it a spec racer?

LOUMO wrote:

[quote]

what is the best way to remove the sound tar on the floor, dry ice or heat gun?[/quote]

I just used a hair dryer and a paint scraper. The dryer provided enough heat to loosen the tar paper but not so much that it was uncomforatble. Once the bulk of the stuff was out, I used a little paint thinner to clean up the remaining adhesive.

Relative to starting slow and running this car on the track. By all means.

Finally, if You want to race with us at all, build the car to spec e30 rules. SCCA will let you run in ITS. (at least they do in our region). On the flip side, you cannot run an ITS car in SPec e30.

Don

ok, well that was the main plan… build it as a spec e30 and race in ITS from time to time.

But for now I am just gonna get a half cage welded in, something that i can add to as time goes by. I am gonna put the motor in and get the car running and just take it to track days stock until i can afford to buy stuff for it.

I have a few questions on the car but i am gonna post pics to go along with them. I want you guys to see the dent on the fllor and tell me if you think it is safe?

Well still up in the air on what to do, I got the motor back and i am gonna be workig on gutting the car some more this weekend.

I want to pull out the sunroof and the dash.