tampa

any one here based out of tampa fl? or any where around tampa>?

Not anymore…

6 years in Treasure Island
2 in St. Pete

southtampae30 wrote:

Yeah, there are a couple of us…I am in Clearwater and John and Natalie Black are in Palm Harbor. We both happen to be finishing builds of Spec E30s, both white (mine is a two door, theirs is 4 door), and both just got our NASA log books yesterday.

I have raced my car locally (PBOC at Sebring) and am registered to make my Spec E30 debut at Roebling in May. The Blacks are at Homestead right now.

Don

I’m in Miami/Homestead. I happened upon Nat Black and her gorgeous 4door. This was at a NASA event. She had a twinkle in her eye as she spoke of SpecE30’s possible schedule.How about we all get a Chin/Nasa event in the near future to trade build stories?

Slick92GSR wrote:

Hayden-

Good to meet you! Hopefully you’ll be able to get your spec e30 going soon :slight_smile:
John & I will be back at Homestead for the next NASA FL event at the end of May to instruct, maybe we’ll see you there.

Natalie

Nat - Didn’t get a chance to meet you but I did get the opportunity to push a Ferrari challenge car from one end of the paddock to the other with Jon. I think it was the most time either of us had spent touching a ferrari. I was just worried about where to push as I’m sure one of those panels cost more than my whole car. Anyways, I’ll have to meet you at the next event, but it was a pleasure to meet John and get to see your car which as Hayden accurately described is gorgeous. You guys have put a lot of time an effort into the car and it shows. I probably won’t be driving in May ($$) but I’ll probably be down there at least 1 day to hang out.

Hayden - Didn’t get a chance to see you down there, were you there both days? I had a busy day Sat. as I had a few “problems” (I’m the reason the track was shutdown for about 30 minutes in the afternoon) and ended up not going Sunday because of them. Hope all is well, and I’d be down to at least hangout at any chin/nasa event. I’ll probably not be driving in May as I said above, and doing a Chin or NASA event in Sebring for June/July.

How’s the Mini? Do you know why you had the failure after taking a look at things? If you can call having a wheel separate from the car “lucky” - you were!

Nice to meet you too (and to push a Ferrari)!

Nothing is known for sure still, I had trouble with that wheel over a year ago when a tire shop cracked the centering ring and didn’t get the wheel mounted properly. Which is why I knew what the sound was. But I’ve always been careful when putting the wheel back on to make sure it’s well centered and all that, and hadn’t had any trouble with it in 2 other events at Homestead. Torque should have been fine cause I torqued all the wheels with the same wrench and when I rechecked all the others after they were fine. My brakes were getting really hot (rotors changed color, and I ate through a new set of pads in 2 sessions) so I’m not sure if that melted the centering ring and somehow that started to cause problems. I’m just very thankful it happened on a cooldown lap instead of a hot lap where I would have been going 100-110 where I heard it, and that I recognized the sound right away. If I had heard it 2 second earlier I would have been able to get to the access road by T8, instead I had to try to make it to the one by T10, which obviously didn’t happen and I ended up just dumping it on the grass.

How was the rest of your weekend, did you enjoy the track?

Your failure looked like something I have seen when someone didn’t understand the concept of centerbore! You obviously do - that little bit of vibration from not having a centering ring or a wrong centerbore will stress the studs or lugs, and cause a failure that looks a lot like yours. I’ll bet if you just replace the wheel (and the associated damage), you are good to go. I just can’t imaging what was going through your head when that thing left the car! I think I would have gone “code brown”, if you get my drift!

I didn’t get much more track time. I did 2 laps in our M3 - one warm-up, one hot one, and my “Instructor Candidate Evaluator” got sick! Not my fault - his breakfast did not agree with him. He signed me off on that part of the ICS, and the rest of the time was in the passenger seat of the M3 with fake students. It was a great experience, and now we are certified, so it was worth it. We are signed up to instruct at Homestead on 5/31-6/1 - first time down here (we both instructed up in Northern Ohio (Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges), but that stuff doesn’t count south of the Mason Dixon line :slight_smile:

Great weekend - great track. Hope to see you there (with the Mini back in shape, or the 325) next time!

John

Posting this for the hell of it… from Homestead this weekend :slight_smile:

Natalie

[/quote]

that car is NOT Black

(probably loses something without the Borat accent …)

leggwork wrote:

[quote]

that car is NOT Black

(probably loses something without the Borat accent …)[/quote]

:laugh:
LOL
Yeah, we’ve been hearing that a lot…
“Why do you have the word black on your white car?”

“It’s my name.” :wink:

How was Homestead? Enjoy going into Turn 1 and going into the back section?

Bruce - one of my favorite movies - I can hear the “NOT” jokes -that is good!

Homestead was great - we are back there at the end of next month with NASA - One/Two is a fun turn - a real intestinal fortitude kind of deal!

Great picture.

Keep them coming.

Carter

I am here in Tampa I am not a driver but I build roll cages turbo systems etc…
Roll Cages start at $1700.00 I can also tweak your front camber and build a strut tower brace to match the new adjustment.
Can any one tell me how to become a authorized Spec E30 exhaust builder? [file name=002.jpg size=163038]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/002.jpg[/file]

Hi Avery,
Right now there is only one official spec e30 exhaust supplier.
Be careful what you do re tweaking front camber. We have a max camber rule but in general if the rules don’t say you can, you can’t.
thanks,
bruce

AvoE30 wrote:

I’ll put a slightly finer point on it than Bruce.

What you are advertising is illegal. Front camber may be adjusted within the limits of unmodified stock components. If you have to make a custom strut brace, you’ve crossed that line.

Turbo systems? Ummm. No forced induction. Engines other than 325i M20s are soon to be phased out.

I think you will find the SE30 community very welcoming to new vendors - provided they are familiar with the rules and selling legal parts/services. Welcome! Read the rules. If you have questions, post them here and you will get a variety of opinions.

Steve D.

Someone told me that the stock camber differs from chassis to chassis. I was under the impression that manipulating the chassis to the maximum factory camber spec was an option. But I guess the strut tower brace will determine the maximum allowance. Is there a difference from chassis to chassis?

What is the deal with rear strut tower braces, can they be welded in?

AvoE30 wrote:

[quote]
What is the deal with rear strut tower braces, can they be welded in?[/quote]

Yes. But only if you weld bolt heads to the mounting plates so it looks like it is bolted in.

Steve D.