Swaybar links

I would like to verify what swaybar links are legal for use?
Stock, Rodends, etc.?

Thanks

Well I am still wondering??? As I re-read the rules. 9.3.8.7 specifies the type of swaybars can be used. 9.3.8.8 specifies what bushing material replacement is permitted.

So if I read this correctly either stock, poly, or delrin swaybar links are allowed but rod ends would be illegal. Rod ends are generally considered bearings and not bushings.

My appologies if this was clarified at an earlier date. I do not recall what if any conclusion was made.

Thanks

Good question…

My kit came with rod-end links for the rear. That’s what everyone is using.

I’m using the stock links for the front.

It sounds like we need to clarify.

Carter

It specifies a certain diameter for some reason but not make. So you can use RD M3 bars, the New IE bars, Suspension technique etc. All of these use different end links and they come with the kits. So it’s not really a big deal. I certainly consider the End link part of the swaybar itself.

Right. Use the links that come with the kit and you’ll be ok.

We’ll clarify it in the Rules.

Thanks,

Carter

Karl and I were talking about this a bit the other nite. Seems stock front links should be ok (from a strength of part standpoint) but for the rear I would certainly consider allowing the use of aftermarket stuff, the stock bits are pretty feable at best. Course you are already saying that alternate links can be used (yet to be clarified) so I think this is good!

And a suggestion to anyone who has not reinforced the attachment points for the rear swaybar links - do it! I broke one over the summer & learned my lesson.

One of the common causes of broken rear tabs is the swaybar bottoming out on the chassis. I don’t know if this is the case for all the rear bars out there, but it is a known problem and the solution is to either sledgehammer your chassis (which probably isn’t SpecE30 legal) or cut off the excess length of the swaybar ends.

traqrat wrote:

What? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Well, I’ve heard of one instance of the sway bar bottoming out on the chassis (due to improper installation) but never there being "excess length" on the bar itself. Do you have a photo of such length? Every ST rear bar I’ve used has nothing extra.

Maybe not a problem with the ST bars, but I had that problem with the Ireland bar. The one that Turner sells also has this problem and the remedy is listed in the installation instructions. It also doesn’t help that I’ve got some serious drop with my coilovers.

Maybe not a problem with the ST bars, but I had that problem with the Ireland bar. The one that Turner sells also has this problem and the remedy is listed in the installation instructions. It also doesn’t help that I’ve got some serious drop with my coilovers.

traqrat wrote:

Ah, ok then, got it. Sorry, I was thinking of standard ST type applications with the more stock-like suspension. I tried one of the Ireland bars on my former E30 M3…way too big. A friend has them on his S52 E30 325 and the seem decent on their but it’s hard to say for sure, the rest of his suspension is not, uh, tweaked.

9.3.8.8.1. Anti-roll bar links provided with the bars from the manufacturer are permitted.

What if one doesn’t have the links provided by the manufacturer? Can we then use "similar" links? For example - I noticed on the VAC Motorsports picture of what’s included with the ST swaybars that the supplied front links appear to be Heim-type rod ends (though the picture is a bit blurry). When I had my suspension installed by my former mechanic either (1) the links were not included in what I received or (2) the mechanic decided to save a couple minutes and toss them aside (probably more likely). My stock front links are looking a bit ragged and I would like to replace them. I would prefer to use rod ends in lieu of the stock links in order to eliminate the rubber component of the stock links. While I would see this as a "performance advantage" over the stock links, it seemingly would not be a "performance advantage" over others having bars that came with the same type of link.

So, my question is do I have to try to find the endlinks that came with ST bars or stick with stock? Or can I simply walk over to the nearest shop that carries rod ends? Thanks!

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/db/images/e30_m3_swaybar.jpg

Good Question…

Good point indeed, Steve. My car (which I puchased with anti-sway bars installed) has the stock links up front with the ST bars. The picture looks like only one rod end is included for the front which seem incomplete. I would prefer as well to use spherical rod ends up front if possible, like those on the rear bar.
Ed

FWIW, I ordered the ST bars from Vac and they arrived this week. I was disappointed to find out that the bars had been taken out and repackaged in a different (rear only) box before selling to me for the "new" kit price. Not a huge deal, small dings on the bars wont affect functionality. I can’t get to the rear bar yet, but am optimistic the 51010 Cabriolet bar works for the iS - I think it’s right for all cars except IX. Can anyone confirm that?

The photo link above looks like the same kit although the rod ends Steve refered to are actually in the bag of rear hardware, which means the fronts have no links included. Not being able to find a performance upgrade I was planning on buying new stock links.

Are there recommendations on legal upgrade from stock? I’m not sure ST comes with polyU links, just bushings.

–AJ

Post edited by: goldfish, at: 2006/06/06 01:45

FYI: The Flying Brick sells this same ST set for $300 (instead of $370 through VAC). I ordered mine from Daniel at The Flying Brick and he was very pleasant. My set hadn’t been repackaged, either!

Incidentally, my rear bar instructions indicate that it’s for the cabriolet as well, whereas the instructions for the front list 318, 325, and M3. I think you have the correct bars.

Sasha

the cab’s had a heavier (1mm) front bar, the rear is the same as the sedans

I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be to to the question of what would be a legal upgrade from stock, since the rules specifically state that links provided by the manufacturer are allowed but does not specifically allow "other" links, which by definition disallows them.

According to AJ, though, the ST kit does not include any front links. This then would require those with ST bars (which I think is most of the spec racers) to either (1) accept the stock links or (2) buy NEW swaybars which DO come with rod end links. In other words, require a ~$300 investment to get a couple $30 links. :ermm: This would seem kind of silly to me.

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]FYI: The Flying Brick sells this same ST set for $300 (instead of $370 through VAC). I ordered mine from Daniel at The Flying Brick and he was very pleasant. My set hadn’t been repackaged, either!

Incidentally, my rear bar instructions indicate that it’s for the cabriolet as well, whereas the instructions for the front list 318, 325, and M3. I think you have the correct bars.

Sasha[/quote]

I am not positive that this is the right part number but Summit Racing has the ST #52020 for $229.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=STQ-52020&N=400279+302708+4294907563+115&autoview=sku

Pretty good buy if it the right kit.