Swaybar links

that set is for 5 and 6 series cars

screwynewy wrote:

[quote]Ex36 wrote:

[quote]FYI: The Flying Brick sells this same ST set for $300 (instead of $370 through VAC). I ordered mine from Daniel at The Flying Brick and he was very pleasant. My set hadn’t been repackaged, either!

Incidentally, my rear bar instructions indicate that it’s for the cabriolet as well, whereas the instructions for the front list 318, 325, and M3. I think you have the correct bars.

Sasha[/quote]

I am not positive that this is the right part number but Summit Racing has the ST #52020 for $229.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=STQ-52020&N=400279+302708+4294907563+115&autoview=sku

Pretty good buy if it the right kit.[/quote]

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]FYI: The Flying Brick sells this same ST set for $300 (instead of $370 through VAC). I ordered mine from Daniel at The Flying Brick and he was very pleasant. My set hadn’t been repackaged, either!

Incidentally, my rear bar instructions indicate that it’s for the cabriolet as well, whereas the instructions for the front list 318, 325, and M3. I think you have the correct bars.

Sasha[/quote]

Thanks Sasha, I think Flying Brick’s the way to go for the ST bars and thanks for your confirmation.
-AJ

leggwork wrote:

[quote]that set is for 5 and 6 series cars

screwynewy wrote:

[quote]Ex36 wrote:

Sasha[/quote]

I am not positive that this is the right part number but Summit Racing has the ST #52020 for $229.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=STQ-52020&N=400279+302708+4294907563+115&autoview=sku

Pretty good buy if it the right kit.[/quote][/quote]

Your right. If anyone has the right part number its worth a try at Summit. Seems theirs are priced right.

sdais wrote:

[quote]I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be to to the question of what would be a legal upgrade from stock, since the rules specifically state that links provided by the manufacturer are allowed but does not specifically allow "other" links, which by definition disallows them.

According to AJ, though, the ST kit does not include any front links. This then would require those with ST bars (which I think is most of the spec racers) to either (1) accept the stock links or (2) buy NEW swaybars which DO come with rod end links. In other words, require a ~$300 investment to get a couple $30 links. :ermm: This would seem kind of silly to me.[/quote]

OK, so I’m quoting myself. I assume that by doing so I’m breaking at least a dozen internet eitquite rules. But I’m hoping we can get a comment on this from the spec E30 rules committee (ie Carter). As I stated previously, I think the rules pretty clearly state the answer. However, the spirit of the rules would seem to imply that rod ends should be allowed, and I’m hoping that we can go this route w/o buying new swaybars that actually come with them from the get-go. I’m just leary about losing my price money from the Mid-Ohio race over this, and I need to get my suspension done for a 7/8 race out here at Willow Springs!! :frowning:

Me and my new link-less ST bars would like to get in on that answer too!

-AJ

(I did not major in english…)

'Sorry guys…I’ve been moving furniture all weekend and we’re taking the children to summer camp tomorrow.

The ST bar set comes with rear rod-end links and they are legal. If you have to make up your own, they will be fine too.

Carter

Carter wrote:

[quote]'Sorry guys…I’ve been moving furniture all weekend and we’re taking the children to summer camp tomorrow.

The ST bar set comes with rear rod-end links and they are legal. If you have to make up your own, they will be fine too.

Carter[/quote]

Thanks, man. I assume you mean that to apply to the front links as well?

Steve

screwynewy wrote:

[quote]leggwork wrote:

[quote]that set is for 5 and 6 series cars

screwynewy wrote:

[quote]Ex36 wrote:

Sasha[/quote]

Pretty good buy if it the right kit.[/quote][/quote]

Your right. If anyone has the right part number its worth a try at Summit. Seems theirs are priced right.[/quote]

Part #52020 is specific to the 528e. The part number for the E30 is 52010. I’ve heard the rear bar is not an easy fit. Has anyone else had problems installing these?

Daniel Teague,
The Racing Vein
Flying Brick Performance
M3 Performance
http:\www.theracingvein.com

bump, Carter - opinion on front links since some kits come with them?
thanks,
bruce

sdais wrote:

[quote]Carter wrote:

[quote]'Sorry guys…I’ve been moving furniture all weekend and we’re taking the children to summer camp tomorrow.

Carter[/quote]

Thanks, man. I assume you mean that to apply to the front links as well?

Steve[/quote]

Post edited by: leggwork, at: 2006/06/24 10:35

leggwork wrote:

[quote]bump, Carter - opinion on front links since some kits come with them?
thanks,
bruce
[/quote]

I thought I’d give this one more little bump… :whistle:

BTW - for this last weekend at Willow I’d made two changes to my suspension: (1) added .75 degree negative camber on the front wheels by going with IE plates and (2) replaced the OEM front links with rod ends. Can’t say for sure whether it was just in my mind or not, but the car’s tendancy to oversteer seemed to be significantly reduced. I can’t help but think that getting rid of that rubber in the stock link contributed to this. I’ll switch back if directed to do so, but would rather not.

Steve,

A number of MA cars are running rod ends up front. We have stock links, but they look new (I didn’t install the bar - Ric did). I will probably replace with rod ends if the decision is that it’s a choice, just because the install is cleaner and the rod ends should have less play. By the way, Pegasus racing has a nice safety retaining washer, that according to them are required by most "sanctioning bodies" in case the race separates from the housing.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3068

Ed

Post edited by: edavidson, at: 2006/07/11 19:53

I recently purchased an “ IE 22mm/19mm Adjustable Sway Bar Kit (with SpecE30 Option) “

It came with only one hole in the end of the front sway bar as promised, but it also came with adjustable end links. Does this make it “adjustable” and in violation of the rule 9.3.8.8 or does 9.3.8.8.1 trump the “non-adjustable” clause?

[i]9.3.8.8. An unmodified non-adjustable front anti-roll bar…

9.3.8.8.1. Anti-roll bar links provided with the bars from the manufacturer are
permitted.[/i]

And while we’re here…if these are acceptable, should both ends of the link on the front bars line up in the same plane with each other (like the rears) or be at 90 degrees to each other like the fixed OE end link?

Please help clarify.
Thanks.

Bob

the end-links provided by the manufacturer are ok to use. "Adjustable" means the length of the lever arm is adjustable, and with one hole, yours aren’t.
bruce

Cool. Thanks for the clarification Bruce.

Anyone have an idea about how both ends of link should be oriented?

Bob

I think it was covered on here somewhere with photos, but the simple answer is in-line, both ends, with the car itself.

Uh, right? :huh:

Rear links were covered in a different post. The reason I’m asking about the fronts is that the OE link had them at 90 degrees to each other. I’ll take this over to the Car Prep forum now that it is no longer about a rule clarification.
Thanks.

Bob

Has anyone had a problem with the IE adjustable links failing on the front bar? My first set failed after a few weekends. Both sides failed at the lower ball race. IE replaced and gave me some install tips to make sure it doesn’t happen again. They instructed me to rotate the lower mounting point so there is no binding and use a jack to articulate the suspension travel to confirm. I installed accordingly and adjusted for zero preload at race weight. After one weekend of racing, my drivers side has already failed. During installation of the second set, I took great care to make sure there was no binding and it doesn’t appear to be binding now. I’m thinking I’ll upgrade the lower ball joint to something different frum summit or pegasus.

Any tips?