shift knob keeps coming off

Any body else have this problem? It has happened to me, to many times, during a race. Is there a way to keep this from happening or should I get a different one? Open to Ideas.

Greg

Lots of different kinds of shift knobs and lots of different kinds of shifters. I’d keep changing parts until you find something you like.

Momo shift knobs, among others, have set screws as part of their mounting.

Yes, I have been looking at the ones with set screws, not sure if that would really help.
Is anybody using those taller shift knobs? I see some have set screws, some without, they look interesting.

I use a shift lever from an X5 manual (yes they made them for awhile) that I straightened a little and a shift knob and DSSR and bushings from UUC. It’s perfect.

[quote=“Gman” post=81210]Yes, I have been looking at the ones with set screws, not sure if that would really help.
Is anybody using those taller shift knobs? I see some have set screws, some without, they look interesting.[/quote]

I had the same issue with OEM BMW shift knobs coming off especially in standing start shift from first to second so you get to do the whole race without a shift knob. I went to the Jaffster with set screw and it has not come off since.

I had the same problem until I got this http://www.condorspeedshop.com/products/condor-weighted-shift-knobs
Pricey, but it’s real nice

A thick wrapping of racer tape around the shaft where the OEM knob squeezes around it, to the point that you have to smack the crap out of it to get it on, could do the trick if you don’t want to fool with buying something. That worked for me a few iterations ago.

Thanks Guys, I am looking into the Jaffster with set the screws and the Condor Weighted Shift Knob. I like the idea of a taller shift knob.
I do have the UUC Short Shifter, but not the DSSR.