Selling my Spec E30 #315

I’ve posted the car in the classifieds here and a few other places on the 'net. I’ve gotten almost no interest, any advise on what I’m doing wrong? Is it priced poorly?

Ad looks fine to me. I would probably get a page up with way more pictures and list every part that is installed. I know you say it has a new motor, but a SpecE30 legal dyno plot and files wouldn’t hurt along with race results for the chassis. I didn’t realize there are that many for sale. I know Tony Fuentes just bought one. I know I have a couple people that are interested in mine, but that seems to be location based. Seems the market is flooded with SpecE30s to pick from currently. This is an example page I made when I first built mine. I haven’t updated it in a few years:

http://spece30.ridedomain.com

I was hoping not to drag the car out this winter just for a dyno run, but if that’s what will help it sell I have no choice. Recent finishes with the car aren’t going to do it any favors, I ran it for 2 race weekends with the old motor and 2 quarts of blow-by per race. Not exactly a fast motor (not to mention the slow driver).

A dyno sheet wouldn’t make any difference to me if I were shopping.

[quote=“King Tut” post=82374]Ad looks fine to me. I would probably get a page up with way more pictures and list every part that is installed. I know you say it has a new motor, but a SpecE30 legal dyno plot and files wouldn’t hurt along with race results for the chassis. I didn’t realize there are that many for sale. I know Tony Fuentes just bought one. I know I have a couple people that are interested in mine, but that seems to be location based. Seems the market is flooded with SpecE30s to pick from currently. This is an example page I made when I first built mine. I haven’t updated it in a few years:

http://spece30.ridedomain.com[/quote]

where are all these cars for sale? there is a couple on the classifieds page but many on the west coast. I see only 3 cars for east of the missisipi? I am looking for a car and I just missed a good one. the right cars don’t last long.

Is my price in line with the market? Is it the fact the car isn’t proven to be fast?

Andrew, I know of one on the west coast coming for sale. It was built 1-2 years ago. It was raced 2 twice and won once. Price is pretty good. Let me know if you have interest and I will hook you two up.

When I read “cheapo” rotors it is an immediate turnoff. I’ll tell you as soon as I read that I skipped to the next one.

Is the suspension stock? What bushings are in it? If it does have SE30 legal suspension, how old is it? What swaybar setup do you have? How about camber plates?

Who built the cage? What is the thickness and diameter?

Who built the engine? Crank scraper? Pan baffles? What plugs do you run? What did you set the lash at cold and/or hot? Do you have all the rebuild specs if anything was machined?

Do you still have the mechanical fan, or an electric one? Pics?

Has it been cornerweighted? Do you have to add ballast and where is it in the car?

What sort of fire suppression system do you have?

Yes, dyno charts would be good, but no buyer should guarantee themselves that is what they are getting when they buy it. Rebuilt is a vague term.

Have you replaced a lot of the old hoses? Original radiator? Have you bypassed the HVAC in the car?

Does it have fuel starvation issues? Have you upgraded to a dual pump setup? Fuel cell?

Does it come with a transponder? Wired? Wireless?

And typically, yes. The further up front in the pack the car runs, the more it is worth.

Add about 20-25 more high res pictures too. Guys contemplating buying a race car love to sit at the computer and stare at large pics of a potential purchase to show their wives/friends/dogs. The more people they can show it to, the more likely they are to become fixated on your car since it is easily accessible. I remember when I bought my spec E30 as a street car. I found it on R3V in Colorado (I’m from Michigan). I watched it for weeks. Looked at pictures every day, sometimes 4-5 times a day.

I went back and forth on how much to list in the ad, I figured people know what a SpecE30 is built out of. I think I went too far and failed to list important stuff that has actually happened to this car (i.e. engine rebuild).

I’ll re-list it with more pictures and a complete build sheet.

Thanks for the advice!

[quote=“andrew240z” post=82380][quote=“King Tut” post=82374]Ad looks fine to me. I would probably get a page up with way more pictures and list every part that is installed. I know you say it has a new motor, but a SpecE30 legal dyno plot and files wouldn’t hurt along with race results for the chassis. I didn’t realize there are that many for sale. I know Tony Fuentes just bought one. I know I have a couple people that are interested in mine, but that seems to be location based. Seems the market is flooded with SpecE30s to pick from currently. This is an example page I made when I first built mine. I haven’t updated it in a few years:

http://spece30.ridedomain.com[/quote]

where are all these cars for sale? there is a couple on the classifieds page but many on the west coast. I see only 3 cars for east of the missisipi? I am looking for a car and I just missed a good one. the right cars don’t last long.[/quote]

I keep hearing a good one. Maybe I don’t know what a “good one” is in SpecE30. It’s a spec class. If you have new tires and a good motor, you can win. All the other stuff is just icing on the cake and you can apply as much or as little as you want. I just checked out the classifieds here and saw quite a few, and I know Tony Fuentes looked at multiple cars before buying one last week.

[quote=“OriginalSterm” post=82399]I went back and forth on how much to list in the ad, I figured people know what a SpecE30 is built out of. I think I went too far and failed to list important stuff that has actually happened to this car (i.e. engine rebuild).

I’ll re-list it with more pictures and a complete build sheet.

Thanks for the advice![/quote]

I think Foglight’s list is all great advice. When I sell a car I try to make sure that any possible question someone could ask is already answered in the ad. A detailed list of maintenance items and dates replaced will always help.

I actually think that there are many other things that may make a car “a good one” other than tires and a motor.

Maybe it’s me, but a car with a good motor that doesn’t handle well and has been raced for 15+ years might be one to pass on as the chassis may be tired. Also, there are other items that may not make you “faster,” but will help your car last longer and that is money you don’t have to put into it later. While yes, it is a all relative to price, if you can get a car with the items already on the car, you don’t have to spend the extra time and money later.

Just my .02

Andrew, I know of one on the west coast coming for sale. It was built 1-2 years ago. It was raced 2 twice and won once. Price is pretty good. Let me know if you have interest and I will hook you two up.[/quote]

Who raced twice and won once?

Andrew, I know of one on the west coast coming for sale. It was built 1-2 years ago. It was raced 2 twice and won once. Price is pretty good. Let me know if you have interest and I will hook you two up.[/quote]

Who raced twice and won once?[/quote]

Ryan “Thunderbolt” Henderson.

Sorry to hear Ryan is selling. Hope it sells locally.