Seat Opinions

I am looking for a new seat with head restraints. I have been looking at the sparco pro adv and the racetech 4009. Anyone have any experiences with either?

I am leaning toward the sparco, but I am afraid it will be to narrow.

I am 6’2" with a 36" waist for reference

The way to do this is to go sit in a bunch of seats. Shops in your area might have some to test-sit, but IMO the best way is to walk around the paddock at your next event and sit in cars.

I am about your size I think (6’2", 195). I started with a Sparco Circuit - way too tight. When the Circuit Pro came out I got it and love it. I also have a Racetech 4009 that we used for my husky co-driver in the Lemons car. It is a little too roomy for my tastes.

The Pro Adv is a good bit wider than the Circuit Pro. I don’t know that you need the room, but Ranger is right. There is no substitute for sitting in some seats. Where are you located?

the pro adv should be a perfect fit for you

I’m in Raleigh, NC.

I don’t really want to make a trip up to VIR to just cruise the paddock, but that might be my only option.

I am not aware of any shops in the area or I would certainly pay them a visit.

I really wish I could find someone with one I could sit in.

Bimmerworld did not stock any, and I don’t know of another big shop that might carry inventory like this.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1599273

I’m getting a MOMO Daytona, but I couldn’t arrange to pick it up from him. His price is below cost and he works at a race shop so talk to him.

Momo daytona has been great. 6’ 200lbs. LTB motorsports very reasonable. But agree with Ranger sit in as many as possible.

cerobbins wrote:

Getting a seat you really like might be a bit of a long term project. Consider making a short-list of seats that you want to try out, and then try to find people that have those seats. If you need a seat right now, get some used seat off of someone that will do the job temporarily.

evan (se30) and sean (gts2) are in raleigh and have pro adv

I’m a big fan of the Recaro Pro Racer HANS; I’m 6’2", 210lbs, 36-37" waist and JUST fit into the regular width version. Works really well with a matching German Schroth Profi II-6H harness for HANS device.

Just like BMW Motorsport supply on their factory race cars…

[quote=“cerobbins” post=54466]I am looking for a new seat with head restraints. I have been looking at the sparco pro adv and the racetech 4009. Anyone have any experiences with either?

I am leaning toward the sparco, but I am afraid it will be to narrow.

I am 6’2" with a 36" waist for reference[/quote]

look into the OMP HTE halo seats. i got one from safedrives.com and am pretty happy with it in terms of comfort and fit.

Both my father and I have the Recaro Profi SPG XL and love them. For reference, I’m 6’1" and 230 lb… You are welcome to check them out any time.

Anyone smaller out there? I’m 5’10" at 150, sort of a Gumby build. Right now I’ve got a pair of aftermarket generics that will probably get me through a few DEs but seem pretty inadequate for SE.

Mike (5’10" - 125) and I (5’7" - 145) both have the Sparco PROADV. Very pleased. A little wide for both of us, but a little extra padding makes it work.
Ed

5’8"/145 here, and I love the fit of my Cobra Imola S. Most Cobra seats are the GT width (2" wider I believe), but mine are the standard ones.

[quote=“Rob Rhodes” post=61538]Anyone smaller out there? I’m 5’10" at 150, sort of a Gumby build. Right now I’ve got a pair of aftermarket generics that will probably get me through a few DEs but seem pretty inadequate for SE.[/quote]In my experience, a Sparco Circuit (not Circuit Pro) would fit you well. I am 6’2" 195 lbs and the Circuit I had was very snug even with the padding at the hips cut out. When they came out with the wider Circuit Pro I switched to that and it’s snug for me.

Thank you gentlemen, I’ll check 'em out.

Give Craig at US Race Gear In Cincy a call. I am looking to get an OMP seat from him. You should get the seat before you get your cage built.

Anyone have any experience with the Kirkey 71 series?

The Racetech 4009 (wide version) came with my car. The regular width version probably would be better for me (6’0" 180lbs and 34" waist), but it works. Very comfortable, and does not pinch at shoulders (some Recaro and Cobra seats I’ve tried had a tendency to do that). Sounds like you might go either way on the wide vs standard Racetech, depending on preference.