Seat Opinions

Ended up with a Racetech RT4000. Pretty narrow in the hips, but pretty comfy. I’ve mounted it to the factory brackets with 1/2" spacers underneath. In the few drives I’ve taken I feel like one of those 4’ nuthin’ little, old, blue haired ladies. I can barely peer over the steering wheel. I have oodles of room above my head even before removing the sunroof cartridge. I see lots of people lowering their steering wheels and now I understand why. But with the vast headroom available, it seems like even with a helmet and roll cage that there should be plenty of room to raise the seat mounts. But that seems to be done infrequently. Why is that?

[quote=“RRhodes” post=62028]…there should be plenty of room to raise the seat mounts. But that seems to be done infrequently. Why is that?[/quote]Center of gravity.

I have my seat rather high since it is on sliders, but I’m the exception. You ought to see Johan’s ‘gangsta lean’ seat position. He is loooooooow. Must be why he is so fast in the twisty bits.

Anybody know anything about Sabelt’s seats? I know they make very good harnesses.

Knowing that there are quite a few seat options and prices, is there any 1 or 2 brands/models that are considered the standard for SpecE30? Which one is the best value for the money? I’m trying to be smart but frugal about this purchase.

I’m building a race car for the series, and I’m shopping for a seat now.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Bob

I don’t think that there is a favorite seat nor a clearly best value seat. There’s some good threads here re. seats and there’s a current fb thread re. seats. Here’s some thoughts that might help…

1. Get a halo seat. Sure, they’re more expensive, but the additional protection is priceless.

2. Most carbon fiber (CF) seats are FIA certified for 5yrs. Once this certification expires, you have to put a back brace on them. Some people don’t like this idea, therefore you can get expired CF seats for cheap. Personally, I like the idea of a back brace so for me this idea works fine. Others don’t like back braces tho.

3. CF seats come in only a few generic sizes, so if you’re built like most everyone else, you can likely find one that fits ok. AL seats can be ordered in all sorts of sizes and many of them are adjustable. Therefore if you’re not built like everyone else, AL can be a good fit. Pun intended, of course.

4. Avoid cheap AL seats. They tend to be flimsy.

5. Sit in a lot of seats before choosing. Do this at events.