Roebling thread

I know RR is a long haul from NC, but where else are you guys up there gonna race in Jan?

The weather is hard to predict. Jan here in Savannah has highs ranging from the 40’s to the 60’s. Once thing for sure tho, since RR is the most Southern track in the region, pretty much no matter where you live, it’s going to be nicer at the track then at your house. Certainly your buddies will be at the track and not at your house.

The charm of RR, for those that have not raced there, is that the relative absence of walls means you can take more risks then you would otherwise. You can really drive like your hair’s on fire. It’s also a relatively inexpensive event.

Late day sun and turn 8-9. Late/early in the year, during late day sessions the sun is right in your face as you head into turn 8-9. Folks have different solutions. Last weekend the BMWCCA CR guys were putting strategically located duct tape on their windshield. What I do is tape a strip of polarized mylar film to the top 3rd of my helmet visor. Then I can tip my head forward a bit and look thru the polarized mylar as I approach the turn. I have extra polarized mylar so if you want a strip, remind me a couple days before the event and I’ll bring some.

Compliance for the RR event.

Motor mounts. We’re going to check the height/thickness of motor mounts. The purpose of this is to help anyone fix their issue if they somehow ended up with mounts that were shaved in order to drop the engine a bit. If your motormounts are thin, you’ll have 2 months to fix the problem, which will give you plenty of time to fix it before East Coast Champs at WG.

Front camber. Recall the debate re. going to a coilover spring. What drove that idea was the perception that the camber playing field is unequal in that some cars can get more front camber then others. Also the rules create temptation to bend our struts. But it’s one thing to perceive that the camber playing field is unequal, and another to actually know it. So we’ll try to gather some information for the community re. what camber settings different cars are running.

[quote=“Ranger” post=82195]

Motor mounts. We’re going to check the height/thickness of motor mounts. The purpose of this is to help anyone fix their issue if they somehow ended up with mounts that were shaved in order to drop the engine a bit. If your motormounts are thin, you’ll have 2 months to fix the problem, which will give you plenty of time to fix it before East Coast Champs at WG.

Front camber. Recall the debate re. going to a coilover spring. What drove that idea was the perception that the camber playing field is unequal in that some cars can get more front camber then others. Also the rules create temptation to bend our struts. But it’s one thing to perceive that the camber playing field is unequal, and another to actually know it. So we’ll try to gather some information for the community re. what camber settings different cars are running.[/quote]

Wouldn’t the data be more accurate if you didn’t announce the checks ahead of time? I know that if I had bent my struts, I’d consider swapping back to straight struts for the event. Don’t take this as an insult. As someone who’s used to racing with other clubs, it just surprises me to see these things announced ahead of time, and I’m curious the logic behind it.

[quote=“JustinHoMi” post=82205][quote=“Ranger” post=82195]

Front camber. Recall the debate re. going to a coilover spring. What drove that idea was the perception that the camber playing field is unequal in that some cars can get more front camber then others. Also the rules create temptation to bend our struts. But it’s one thing to perceive that the camber playing field is unequal, and another to actually know it. So we’ll try to gather some information for the community re. what camber settings different cars are running.[/quote]

Wouldn’t the data be more accurate if you didn’t announce the checks ahead of time? I know that if I had bent my struts, I’d consider swapping back to straight struts for the event. Don’t take this as an insult. As someone who’s used to racing with other clubs, it just surprises me to see these things announced ahead of time, and I’m curious the logic behind it.[/quote]
Hard to answer. We have a pretty successful culture in SE SpecE30. Without being part of that culture, my attempt to explain isn’t going to make much sense.

There is no limit to how much camber a car is allowed to get. I’m pretty sure that my announcement that I’m going to check front camber will result in zero folks considering strut swaps. So there is a delta between how you view the issue and how they, a group that is primarily interested in having a blast with their racing buddies for the weekend, view the issue.

So, no offense, but I’m not sure how to explain that delta. Email Sandro, Ryan, Alex, or any of the SE guys that do lots of races. Get their take on it. I’m not only biased, but I’ve also a tendency to get all maudlin and teary-eyed when discussing the SE culture of hanging out with buddies during race weekends.

This isn’t other clubs. This is NASA-SE SpecE30. You bring a non 3.73 rear gear and you will be made fun of. You bring a car without headlights and you will be made fun of.

This isn’t other clubs. This is NASA-SE SpecE30. You bring a non 3.73 rear gear and you will be made fun of. You bring a car without headlights and you will be made fun of.[/quote]

Hah! OK :slight_smile: Makes sense now. Sounds waaaaay more enjoyable that what I’m used to.

The camber thing and bending is a cluster.
You can’t prove bending by a shop versus bending in a skirmish at turn 5 at RA. I can bring the RA strut for viewing…wait I’m going to put it on a car.

The camber rules say there is no limit and you’ll see no limit as the hot set-up this year. The way it is written the rules dudes can’t, nor should they, do a darned thing about it.

RP

However, either is illegal.

[quote=“Patton” post=82210]The camber thing and bending is a cluster.
You can’t prove bending by a shop versus bending in a skirmish at turn 5 at RA. I can bring the RA strut for viewing…wait I’m going to put it on a car.

The camber rules say there is no limit and you’ll see no limit as the hot set-up this year. The way it is written the rules dudes can’t, nor should they, do a darned thing about it.

RP[/quote]
I pretty much agree. I dreamed up an idea that could level the camber playing field that I perceived would be largely cost neutral for most folks, and it didn’t get much support. I put a bunch of time into making sure my proffered solution was a “real solution” that we could debate, and not just one more abstract idea. I talked to lots of E30 racers familiar with taller E30 spring rates, spring & shock OEMs about rates and compatibility, got vendors to agree to mfr adapters and provide test hardware, and even got pricing.

To my surprise I learned that springs are a wear item and we should be replacing them once our car sags lower then our buddy’s car.

The primary result of the couple months of effort to create for us a real solution to be debated, was a bunch of “why are you trying to destroy the series” posts that went down hard. That pretty much burned me out on scheming ways we might level the camber playing field. The issue of camber could catch on fire and I wouldn’t piss on it.

That said, it would be good to know whether or not we really do have a broad range of achievable front camber #'s. Maybe it’s not really an issue. We won’t know for sure until we gather some data.

[quote=“JustinHoMi” post=82212][quote=“Patton” post=82210]
[/quote]

However, either is illegal.[/quote]
Justin, you have children yet?

Never tell them they can’t do something when you have no ability to detect that something, or if there is a legit means to accomplish the same thing. It just gets folks used to the idea of blowing you off.

This is one of the many lessons that have to be taught to young Lieutenants.

Sorry, the SCCA has ruined me :frowning:

[quote=“JustinHoMi” post=82215]Sorry, the SCCA has ruined me :([/quote]I hear that a lot!

I’m hoping to make Roebling as well, but right now the car is up in Charlotte getting a new back end, necessitated by my weekend at Daytona.

Keep going Danny, looking good so far!

http://sonof401.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-anatomy-of-assectomy.html?view=sidebar

The current truth is that the Roebling event will host the triumphant debut of the David Walsh mobile Dynojet.

Reminder re. 2016 tech and SA2005 helmets.

http://spece30.com/forum/31-southeast/82081-tech-inspection-and-sa2005-helmets

The 2016.1 CCR says the following about helmets:

15.17.3 Helmet
… Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2005 or newer* …

[color=#ff0000]Note: the new standard of SA2010 and FIA8899-2010 is expected to be implemented as of January 1, 2017.[/color]

(The red text is straight out of the CCR.)

[quote=“ctbimmer” post=82252]The 2016.1 CCR says the following about helmets:

15.17.3 Helmet
… Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2005 or newer* …

[color=#ff0000]Note: the new standard of SA2010 and FIA8899-2010 is expected to be implemented as of January 1, 2017.[/color]

(The red text is straight out of the CCR.)[/quote]
Good catch. I could have sworn that in years past the helmets expired at the end of the calendar year that the new standard came out. Odd. I’ll fix it in the source post too.

18 signed up as of 12Jan. Great turnout for a Roebling event! Only 1 short of deep Toyobucks.

Bill Zawrotny
Rob Eskew
Alex Barroso
Mark Issa
Walter Araya
Chuck Taylor
Ty Young
Sandro Espinosa
Ryan Whitinger
Aaron Whitinger
Jon Stroup
Steve Lako
Scott Gress
James Hartridge (from comp school)
Laura Parkhurst
Kris Gustafson (who?)
Eric Crawshaw
Robert Patton

John Clark?
Jeff Retey?
Brian and Oscar Edmonds?
Michael Young?
Harness’s?
VA, NC, and FL guys?

Awesome that Mark and Bill are signed up. We don’t see enough of them. Note that we’ve got a newby in comp school. James is Savannah based, bringing Savannah back from it’s loss of Rich Bratton to the SpecE30 per capita world headquarters. Anyone know Kris Gustafson?

Pls make sure that you have a plan for race tech. I mean a plan better than “try to find a way to do it Sat morning.” Either get tech done before the event, or talk to me prior to the event so we can plan to do it Fri evening. I will likely be too busy to tech cars Sat morning and there will be a big line for NASA Tech at $100 ea.

Anybody interested in splitting a hotel room? Looking to get my sleeping situation sorted out in the near future.

I am looking forward to first racing since September. I plan to arrive Thursday night and do tech Friday morning. Then a day of practice.

Eric, if you want to rough it, you can bunk in my trailer. Bring an electric blanket, or good sleeping bag, and pad.

Right now the forecast shows possible rain. I expect Gress can fix that.

See ya there.

I’m looking for two good front fenders. Mine are a little messed up, and with a new paint job coming up soon might as well go all out.

If anyone going to Roebling has one or two to sell, let me know please, with price. Thanks!

Rock Auto $60. I bought 2 pair of them a couple years ago. Shipping was kinda steep, which is why I bought so many. Also, I had to be home to accept the delivery. When the car last went to the paint shop, I took the spare fenders and had them painted too. They were black when they arrived, but it was some kind of glossy primer, not really automotive grade paint.