Road Atlanta Results

Congratulations to Alex Barosso for TWO race wins at RA this past weekend.
With the Sunday win he is no longer just a first time winner and joins an pretty big group of names throughout these 10plus years.

More stuff later.

RP

Congrats to Alex and Eskew, capturing the top 2 spots both days. Great new talent.

Saturday: DQ’d following qualifying 4th for taking tire pressures in paddock before going to Tech. Oops! My bad. Started in back and enjoyed driving up to 7th by the finish. Good drive by David Martin both days. Sorry for the pucker moment at the checker Harkins, I failed to see you as I tracked out in 12 crossing finish. Nice job saving us both.

Sunday: Nice to have Group3racing qualifying in positions 3,4 and 5. Good clean racing between our cars, Martin and Ty Young who has also raised the bar in the Southeast. We had nothing for the front 2 youngsters, I was happy to bring home 4th.

Maybe some video later. See you all at Roebling.

Details on HDPE fatality?

Here’s the link to the start and finish of the Saturday race:

https://vimeo.com/135294267

I had literally no action. I couldn’t get to the front and couldn’t get any help from behind. Eskew and Barosso were gone.

I did not hear if the driver died or not. HPDE-2 incident.

Holy shit! That’s awful. What happened?

HPDE-2 guy in a 2003 Cobra Mustang coming down the back stretch, either got into oil of a blown up car, or may have broken a wheel, hooked left into the wall before 10a. I didn’t see it, but I’m told one of the wheels went up where people can sit, so it sounded like a hard hit. Fast HPDE cars without real safety gear can be dangerous. Thoughts going out to the guy and his family, I don’t know what the end outcome was, but nobody was saying much of anything, and thats never a good sign.

Here’s the Sunday race.

https://vimeo.com/135296811

Jesus! Did Chris survive that?

Yes and very well I might add, although that brown stuff coming out from behind the car is not dirt…

Friends helping friends.

A very close finish.

Who was the photographer?

RP

I notice there aren’t any pictures of anyone helping me along, ya’ll bastards.

Sunday fun.

There is a change to the results coming for both races. The change affects Alex and Chris. I feel badly that they are losing their positions, but I feel worse that no one went and helped them do something about their missing headlights. I feel like we let them down.

We can’t let a precedent be created that it’s ok to race w/o headlights in front of the airbox.

Later edit. Chris points out below that solid blanks recently got ruled as acceptable for national events. Note also that they will be included in the 2016 CCR as acceptable. If Alex or Chris had been using these at RA, that would have been fine. They have been in routine use for regional races in SE and MidAtl for a couple years now.

The larger point here is that we, SE SpecE30, fucked up. We should have gone and helped Alex and Chris. Maybe that might have meant stuffing a roll of toilet paper into their headlight bucket, or maybe it might have meant simply advising them to do something about it. These guys are your buddies. Always be on the lookout for what help they might need. This mindset is the core of what makes SE SpecE30 the best and largest class in NASA.

With regards to the headlights, here are some supplement regs for those of us going to nationals and changes coming for 2016 rules… http://spece30.com/forum/16-general-discussion/81258-2015-national-championship-suplimental-rules

Very unfortunate :frowning:

Let’s keep this class the biggest, the most fun, the most competitive on track not off it!

Off track, we are all best buddies that help each other.

Sorry we failed you guys this weekend. It’s definitely not in the SE30-SE spirit

Another thing, we do not want the Southeast to become like some other regions in NASA. Not sure of the chain of events that caused the DQ’s, but the RIGHT thing to do would have been to simply tell the person that they need to get it fixed for next race, not complain to the directors for extreme measures for such a simple violation. In fact, I made the same mistake when I started racing with my headlight. I purposely removed it thinking it was legal as I had seen it done on other cars. Instead of me being DQ’d, a simple phone call was made to me and I addressed the infraction within an hour of getting off the phone.

Scott, I am not saying that you were too harsh or that rules don’t need to be followed. You are doing what you are required to do. All I am saying that we are all friends before we are competitors and I feel the first discussion should have been from racer to fellow racer.