Request for additional interior rules clarificatio

Hi all,
Reading the rules, I am unsure if we ca remove:

-cover/trim panel that mounts to the steering wheel column and covers bunch of electronics and wires

-heater ducting for the back seat (see pic)

Regards,
Igor

Post edited by: igor, at: 2005/09/09 23:03

My cover/trim to steering wheel is gone, it got in the way of doing some work. It burns, get rid of it. The floor heat ducts, you wont need them unless your going to carry passengers in the back.

I will take my heat ducts soon! Unless I missed something in the rules and Carter clarifies that we have to keep it.

The heater ducting can be removed but we like to see the steering column cover still in the car.

As with the stock gauge cluster rules, we don’t want these cars to look exotic and expensive, thus some of the rules. These are simple and cheap cars and if everyone starts cutting-up the interior, potential drivers will see the cars as being more than they are.

In my first year of racing, I was more attracted to cars that looked more stock and easier to build.

Spend your time and money making sure the car is reliable and safe, instead of on expensive gauge units, etc. The guys who are winning races are driving very basic and simple cars.

Carter

Carter,
I was referring to this trim (see pic) – can we remove this? Is this what are you referring to ‘steering column cover’ or not?
This thing always pops loose on this car and sometimes I end up hitting it with tip of my foot – that is why I would like to remove it.

Regards,
Igor

Yep thats it, Like you said, it gets in the way, I trashed mine

Igor wrote:

Carter,
I was referring to this trim (see pic) – can we remove this? Is this what are you referring to ‘steering column cover’ or not?
This thing always pops loose on this car and sometimes I end up hitting it with tip of my foot – that is why I would like to remove it.

Regards,
Igor [/quote]

As the Rules official, my position is consistant. If it doesn’t say you can remove it, it must stay as it came from the factory. Mine is in my car and it isn’t a problem.

I can also say that there is no current plan to check for this panel…but if your competitiors see it is missing and want to protest you…

Well, you know the outcome. As a non-performance enhancing mod, it’ll be noted in the logbook and will have to be remedied prior to the next race.

If you "trash it" and no one protests you, you’ll probably be ok.

Carter

FYI - I just sold this underdash panel for $55 on ebay.

One free window net.

Not allot of money… but every bit helps.

I left mine in the car – once the door bars were in place, I felt it was just too easy to catch your foot on the under-dash wiring when trying to slide into the car.

Which years had the rear seat heater ducts? My '90 never had them.

Which years had the rear seat heater ducts? My '90 never had them.

My '86, my '90, and my friend’s '91 all seem to have them.

traqrat wrote:

mine is 87 325is

Igor

I’m building an '87 325is right now and it had those heater ducts. I threw them away.

Sasha

my dash under panel was (a) for an automatic and (b) damaged so that it hung in the way of the pedals.

I picked up my e30 for $250 because the interior was so badly damaged. If pieces "we like to see" are missing, can I just take the note in the log book and hit the pick and pull between races?

You won’t be disqualified for a missing minor interior part and you will not be prevented from racing because of it. The racing (and making weight) is what’s most important.

But making an effort to get it looking fairly good will always work in your favor.

Carter

:wink:

Is one to assume this same discussion will apply to the glove box? :dry:

I have so much left to do/pay for… I’d love to be able to sell some more parts on eBay.

BTW: just got $200 for my fog lights :silly:

pdf search tool in the rules is your friend …

scottmc wrote:

[quote]Is one to assume this same discussion will apply to the glove box? :dry:

I have so much left to do/pay for… I’d love to be able to sell some more parts on eBay.

BTW: just got $200 for my fog lights :silly:[/quote]

scottmc wrote:

[quote]

BTW: just got $200 for my fog lights :silly:[/quote]

I thought I did well getting $125 for mine on ebay. I had a grand total of about $1000 from selling off parts from my car after I finished my build.

Ok, a slightly different question…the window switches. If I pull the shifter console, they have nothing to hold them. Someone suggested moving them to otherwise unneeded spots in the dash where they will fit nicely. Is a simple relocation permitted in the spirit of the rules? This isn’t specified, so technically not legal, but I’d love to get them away from the shifter/tunnel.

Dwight - we had the same issue. Many folks in mid-atlantic have an aluminum panel/etc for mounting switches. We just mounted a typical electrical junction box - to the right of the shifter and up a few inches and mounted the two front window switches (we have a 4 door) in the cover plate.
Ed