Request for additional interior rules clarificatio

I bought an inexpensive Sheet Metal Brake from Northern Tool (maybe Harbor Freight) for around $30. It will bend metal up to 18" long. Plenty long enough for my purposes. I used it to make the guage cluster that fit in the radio opening and the switch panel which holds my window switches, video-camera controls and next - switch for the cool suit. I have some decal sheet from my R/C car hobby that looks like carbon fiber and I think I am going to try it on the lower console to see how it looks.

Another option is to re-install just the forward portion of the console…

erupert66 wrote:

Spec E30 RULES!
:wink:

Nice panel by the way. Seriously. I just bit the bullet and bought a radio blank (Bimmerworld) to mount a couple of switches. Not sure how good it’s going to turn out. Stay tuned.

panels look good.

time to move the fire ext. up closer to you - you’re supposed to be able to reach it while buckled in.

cheers,
bruce

leggwork wrote:

[quote]panels look good.

time to move the fire ext. up closer to you - you’re supposed to be able to reach it while buckled in.

cheers,
bruce[/quote]

That’s a fire suppression system, he probably has a handle within reach.

jlevie wrote:

That’s what I had done, but it looks like ass.
I like the fabricated panel, but in essence it’s still moving the switches from their stock location. So the question still begs answering: can you retain the switches and wiring and just relocate them within the cockpit?

my bad
thanks,
bruce

mskeen wrote:

[quote]leggwork wrote:

[quote]panels look good.

cheers,
bruce[/quote]

That’s a fire suppression system, he probably has a handle within reach.[/quote]

Move them. I did. You’re allowed to remove the console and the window glass and mechanism. Everything but the switches is mentioned and it obviously doesn’t enhance performance.

Sasha

We can remove the window glass and the mechanism…but not the switches?

rsott59 wrote:

:slight_smile: debatable ( I think). Rule says:

[quote]
9.3.13.22. The interior, including carpeting, seats, headliner (to include the leading plastic panel), console, radio/cd/cassette/navigation systems, OEM seat belts, speakers, glove box door, panels under the dash, grab handles, driver and passenger door (front and rear) window glass and mechanisms , heating and cooling system interior ducts, and sun visors, may be removed.[/quote]

I guess it’s how you define ‘mechanisms’ - is it just mechanical or electro-mechanical - i.e. on cars with power windows electrical motor, which is actuated by the elect. switch, moves the glass frame up and down, so does intended definition includes switches or not.
Flip side of this is well established mantra "if it isn’t specifically mentioned you can’t remove it" …

Carter, any thoughts?

Regards,
Igor

asked and answered …

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_mamboboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,12/id,7436/#7436

[quote]9.3.13.21. The interior, including carpeting, seats, headliner (to include the leading plastic panel), console, radio/cd/cassette/navigation systems, OEM seat belts, speakers, glove box door, grab handles, driver and passenger door (front and rear) window glass and mechanisms, heating and cooling system interior ducts, and sun visors, may be removed.

Regarding the radio items you list, yes, they can be considered part of the OEM radio.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, one definition of "mechanism" is "The arrangement of connected parts in a machine." The wiring and switches are connected to the "machine" (not the car/machine but to the window glass and the rest of the parts that perform a specific function - they move the windows up and down) so yes, they can be removed too.

Whew!

Carter
[/quote]

nice find Bruce (or good memory :slight_smile: ) !

Thanks for the clarification. I’m not smart enough to know how this might be implemented but it would be nice if the various forum posts on rules clarifications could somehow be linked to the specific rules or posted to a dedicated page by rule number (after approval by Carter, et. al. of course). May be a bad idea, not sure. Just thinking "out loud".

well, more ideally, the clarifications would make it into the next year’s rules.

BMWCCA CR does a good job of posting the clarification questions and answers
http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Racers/Racer_RuleClarificationAnswers.aspx

cheers,
bruce

I found the answer -