Rain tire (RA1) lifespan

Looking to pick up a set of cheap rims for rain tires. Thing is, I’m not particularly looking forward to spending $7-800 on RA1s that’ll probably never get used – particularly if I have to replace them too often.

How long can I reasonably expect to keep a set of rain tires if I never really use them? Since they’re rain tires anyway, is it that big a deal of the rubber hardens over the years? Can 3 or 4 year old tires (or older??) get hard to the point that it’s unsafe/undrivable in wet conditions?

Probably stupid questions, I guess. Just not sure if these compounds harden differently than street tires would or if, at worst, they just become “street tire like” in performance as they age.

Som

My rains are still 14" RA-1s from probably 5 years ago. I used them in the dry once for a little one day track school a year ago and they performed fine.

Ah, okay, sweet. Thanks for the data point! I was actually considering picking up some kind of street tire for wets just to be able to compete and just take the DQ. Guess having a set of RA1s won’t be a big deal.

Thanks again!

Som

Som, aren’t you in Cali? Does it rain there? Just man up and drive on RRs in the rain.

Rich is right. How often is there standing water on a SoCal region track?

Only when the tears of the California guys flow after Sandro shows them how it’s done.

Woah woah woah. OUT. OF. BOUNDS. Moderators! Please close this thread! :slight_smile:

I actually race NorCal (which gets its fair share of rain), even though I live in San Diego. Each event is a 9 hour tow each way, which means having to plan ahead. I got lucky last season with no rainy weekends, but I don’t want to rely on luck going forward. Nor do I want to get stuck having to make an unexpected $7-800 investment in tires at the last minute… or the potential same-weekend back-and-forth possibility of sometimes wanting rains and sometimes not. :slight_smile:

As far as manning up in the rain with RRs – I’m totally down to slide around all over the place if everyone else is, too. :slight_smile: Of course, Sears Point is probably not the best place for that if we’re sticking with the 50/50 rule. :slight_smile:

Som

Understood, but keep in mind that it’s not about a wet track, it’s about standing water. A little shower doesn’t normally create standing water. The sipes in RR’s might get you thru, I dunno, maybe an 1/8" of standing water.

That said, hydroplaning is a no shitter issue. There’s been some bad crashes over the years. Once you’re hydroplaning, it doesn’t matter how good you are.

I’ve had my rain tires for, I think, 5yrs. I got them for free because 5yrs ago someone was throwing them away because they were hard as rocks. So, 5yrs later, they are really really old.

If you never use them, they’re good forever. LOL

My rain tires got stolen this year, and I had never used them. Even in wet sessions last year, we still went out on RR’s. I’m thinking of putting off replacing them. (Which means the heaven’s will open up, I’m sure.)

Not sure how useful this will be since old compound but my first set of RA1s were Carter Hunt’s old rains. I bought them in 2008, I think they were a 2004 build date and pretty much full tread. I ran them in DE events for three years rain and dry until they finally corded.

Sounds like instead of buying a set of RA1s brand new I should just wait for someone to sell an old set. Maybe see if someone selling their car would be willing to split off a wet set.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Side note of something that probably only interests me: Something about my original post must have shot this thread up high in some search algorithm, because it’s already at 6k views (compared to a few hundred for everything else that I’m sure has been more interesting to read).

Som

The Google robots must really like RA1s. Perhaps a stock purchase of Toyo Tires is in order.

I’d like to sell my rain set, but shipping to Cali may be too much. They are from 2012.

My very first race was pouring wet. I didn’t have rains. So I bought a set. That was 5 years ago, and I haven’t touched 'em since.

Wets are generally a waste of money.

[quote=“Som” post=82393]Woah woah woah. OUT. OF. BOUNDS. Moderators! Please close this thread! :slight_smile:

I actually race NorCal (which gets its fair share of rain), even though I live in San Diego. Each event is a 9 hour tow each way, which means having to plan ahead. :slight_smile:

Som[/quote]

You do know there is a SoCal region, right? :whistle:

Haha, yeah. :slight_smile: I used to live up north and my friends race in that region, soooo… :slight_smile:

I have a feeling I’ll start doing an event or two down here next season, though…

Som