Radiator...

Steve, what about the aero?

I can’t remember what I’m supposed to do.

RP

Here is another speed secret. Ask yourself when is the last time people gave me valuable advice on a free online forum?

As with most things you get what you pay for. Anyone that really really knows what they’re doing - isn’t lurking around on SE30.com. They’re making a living using that information either in Grand Am, WC, Indy Car, Nascar, etc etc etc.

Sorry if I’m snippy sitting in Atlanta airport will put people with the patience of a saint in a bad mood!

Steve…, I shut up on the spark plug thing after I talked with Autolite racing…I suggest you talk to them.

One more thing, Steve. I’ve been doing this for a while, and I think I understand the e30 chassis fairly well. For the last two years I have yet to finish lower that second in a SCCA ITA race other than the American Road Race of Champions, where I finished third. I believe you to be mid pack at best in the SCCA Spec Miata class? My point is, I have tried and failed at many things on my car. If you wish to learn from my mistakes, you are welcome to do so. If you do not, that is fine, too. My dad always said “you can’t teach experience”, but that is what I am putting out there, take it or leave it.

One thing about the splitter. I have tried with and without back to back at RA. Speed going into 10a was identical both ways. The difference is that the car turned better in 12,1,and 6, making my laptimes better.

I have friends on this forum…if you don’t want to read what I post, block me…that is your preoperative. Otherwise, from your comments you can kiss my ass.

Jim, I don’t race ITB, I race ITA, which is the largest most competitive class outside of Spec Miata in the Southeast.Chuck

IndyJim wrote:

I find valuable advice on this forum and many other forums all the time. I value everyones opinion who bothers to post on this site. I remember though that these are only opinions.

cwbaader wrote:

Hang on. I need to get my dick ruler out of my desk drawer since we are all measuring up here. Yup, I am roughly average. Extra medium. Decently fast for a chick car driver. Mid-pack at best? Since everyone after 1st place is mid-pack in my mind, sure, let’s go with that assessment.

Anybody got a breath mint?

For regional racing, yes. They don’t race ITA in nationals, do they?

PS - When you talked to Autolite did they say “A ‘colder’ spark plug makes your engine run cooler”?

wow… this thread took quite a turn :slight_smile:

back on topic, OEM radiator setup with SPAL pusher fan’s what I’m running and it’s worked fine. Just need it when gridding. I have it wired to a switch. mechanical water temp gauge? why? electric should be fine for the accuracy range we are looking for.

kishg wrote:

Because he said so.

Robert, back to the aero question.

If you remember I taped up the 191 front end prior to July Charlotte mainly to keep the spoiler and things from falling off. I also figured it might help with aero. As you recall however, you guys were catching up to Eric pretty quickly after Nascar 3-4 so not sure if that really helped.

This weekend was the debut of the 919 at RA which has the older style front end, full of holes/gaps/crevices and held on by 232+ tie wraps. Unfortunately the clutch started to go on the 191 during the enduro so we never got to run a true test and compare both over the weekend. The 919 ran well at RA so as of now I’m not sure if it really makes a difference. More testing next year…

I love you guys, but there is a tendency to interpret each other’s comments in a dark light. Then someone says something snippy, that gets a double snippy response and it escalates on. If, on the other hand, you just assume that the other is a helova nice guy and only means well, it’s easier to get along.

I’m probably the most common poster here, I suspect to the annoyance of everyone else. In 4 short years, I’ve done a lot of testing, reading, and calling up smart folks and talking to them. When I read something that I’m convinced is wrong, sometimes I just keep my mouth shut. No really.

Sometimes folks would appreciate being corrected, other times it just annoys them. The greatest good isn’t in being right. The greatest good is in helping folks. Ok, there’s beer, pizza, and chicks too. So sometimes you have to ask yourself, “are they really going to value what I have to say”, or “should I just get another beer and move on?”

Be nice.

ITA is not a national class…none of Improved Touring is. However, the ARRC is arguably the national championship for Improved Touring and I only had a third there. We also have Kevin Ruck running with us…won F Prod (I think) at the nationals this year, Won ITA last year and ITB this year. I have not seen that type of competition in a NASA race, ever.

I’m not saying my way is the only way…there are many ways to skin a cat. BUT…I talk about things I have tried and either failed with or had success. Like I said, you can learn from the experiences of others or not…your decision.

I prefer mechanical gauges since they are generally more accurate and certainly last longer. The sending units on electric gauges are problematic. Mechanical OP gauges , if you use a -3 or -4 line, are not dampened and fluctuations in oil pressure are immediately evident. Installation can be more difficult but since I replace my cluster with needed gauges, Tach, OP, OT, and WP, installation is not much more problematic that wires. I also use a WP pressure switch for added insurance. Chuck

I’ll hand it to you, Chuck. ITA is pretty competitive. There was an 8 car field at the 13 hour race at VIR (2nd biggest group after SM). Some mid-pack SM driver got fast race lap by 1.5+ seconds. He was probably cheating. :laugh:

Going on a website dedicated to a NASA-sanctioned class saying there are no fast guys in NASA? That’s rich.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]
Going on a website dedicated to a NASA-sanctioned class saying there are no fast guys in NASA? That’s rich.[/quote]
I don’t see that Chuck said that. You just looking for a fight? Everything, ah, ok at home?

Guys - pace yourselves. It’s a long off season and it’s only just started. As much as I enjoy the entertainment - I’m afraid your going to burn yourselves out before the first race in 2011.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]Steve D wrote:

Perhaps I paraphrased poorly. Here’s what Chuck wrote:

Kevin is a talented racer for sure. But F Prod had 28 cars enter. 25 started and 13 finished on the lead lap. On a 4 mile track. That’s a nail biter.:laugh:

Maybe I shouldn’t be offended on behalf of the Skeens and Johans of the world, but I think saying NASA competition doesn’t measure up to F Prod/ITA/ITB is silly.

[quote]Everything, ah, ok at home?[/quote]So damn good you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Thanks for asking.

I know both Chuck and Steve. Chuck is the one who helps me get things done on my car, driving coach, and lives across town. Both of you are good drivers and know the E30 well. But there is no need for mudslinging. I take advise and ideas from both of you as well as many other people ie Patton and Jim. This is a place to discuss/help other racers and people in the race community with like minded views. I ,as a new racer, have found this website very usefull and on a personal level I can’t say enough for the help the Chuck has given to my Father and I. We all get along great at the track and on the track so why should this website be any diffrent? Smack talk is one thing, however, this has taken a slight turn. Not the first time Chuck and Steve have butted “ideas” and I think I see a pattern forming here. Just my point of view. I would like to thank EVERYONE for some great times, momeries, and conversations this year. ALLEN

“Maybe I shouldn’t be offended on behalf of the Skeens and Johans of the world, but I think saying NASA competition doesn’t measure up to F Prod/ITA/ITB is silly.”

Simply put, it does not (in my experience). I have run with 4 different organizations over the past 8 years, and, as I have said before, SCCA is the most competitive/prepared/well driven of the bunch, whether it be Prod or IT. There are exceptions, Skeen and Johan are good examples as I am sure there are more. I don’t intend to insult anyone, but NASA is a great place to start racing and move up the ladder when the skills are ready. (When people ask me how to start racing I recommend NASA and SE30 because of the track time, ability to run the car with 4 organizations, and the low cost of beginning.) I’m sure I’ll take a ton of scheisse over this, but, as you, I express my opinion. Chuck

theironman9154 wrote:

I apologize to Chuck and the rest of you. I didn’t intend for this to be anything but a lively debate. I will tone down my smart-ass-ed-ness.

I, for one, greatly appreciate Chuck’s ability to put a motor in Ranger’s car that can go the distance. I don’t know what tricks he used, but the fact that we are NOT discussing engine #13 is something we can all be grateful for!!

Steve D wrote:

amen!

Steve D wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]Steve D wrote:

Perhaps I paraphrased poorly. Here’s what Chuck wrote:

Kevin is a talented racer for sure. But F Prod had 28 cars enter. 25 started and 13 finished on the lead lap. On a 4 mile track. That’s a nail biter.:laugh:

Maybe I shouldn’t be offended on behalf of the Skeens and Johans of the world, but I think saying NASA competition doesn’t measure up to F Prod/ITA/ITB is silly.

I’m not the class counselor, I just want folks to get along because you’re all my buddies.

The “not seen that type of competition” remark was kind of a poke in the chest. But we can allow that sort of thing to get our back up, or we can seize control by deflecting it with humor, like you did with my “everything ok at home” quip. Well played, BTW.

Bias note. I have to reflexively support Chuck because only he has proven able to beat the Ranger engine curse.

NASA has a lot of depth. At any given RA or VIR event there’s 20-25 SpecE30’s there from their respective region. And there will be 10 cars qualifying within a second of each other. That’s a lot of fierce competition drawing from only one part of the country.

I’m sure SCCA has it’s charms, but it’s an aging crowd that isn’t bringing in much new blood. By some measures SCCA is the more “competitive” outfit. But NASA has it’s strengths too and sweeping generalizations comparing one against the other aren’t ever going to be all that accurate.

NASA vs. SCCA is just a futile dick measuring contest. It’s more fun to derail it with a zinger like “Dick? I’m supposed to have a dick? OMG WTF???”

I love ya man. Beer’s on me.

Ok, Scott…you can have your flyby now:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: CB