Radiator...

jtower wrote:

For those that may follow…if you are running temps as good as this, go play with something other than engine cooling. If, on the other hand, you would hit 225deg under these conditions, start thinking about what you might do to keep your engine cooler. The first thing to look at is shrouding.

Another charm of keeping the engine nice and cool is that you can delete your oil cooler.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]
Putting an aftermarket fan on is not infantry simple. Cheap fans often don’t work well because they don’t have enough standoff from the radiator, and they don’t have stationary blades that convert whirling air to lateral flow.

It took me an event or two to figure out why my cheap aftermarket fan didn’t work worth a shit.[/quote]

Does your fan make a measurable difference in temperature at race speed? Mine doesn’t which is why I leave it turned off… I see around 200 in the summer.

mahoneyj wrote:

[quote]rsott wrote:

[quote]I bought this one from Ireland Eng.:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=892391383&Count2=809531807

Nice unit. Dropped right in and kept things cool even during the heat wave at VIR last July with no cooling fan.

Bob[/quote]

Does that radiator have the return from the radiator top to the top of the reservoir bottle like the factory set up or is it eliminated with this configuration?[/quote]

There was a tapped hole for fitting so you could add the return.

FishMan wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]
Putting an aftermarket fan on is not infantry simple. Cheap fans often don’t work well because they don’t have enough standoff from the radiator, and they don’t have stationary blades that convert whirling air to lateral flow.

It took me an event or two to figure out why my cheap aftermarket fan didn’t work worth a shit.[/quote]

Does your fan make a measurable difference in temperature at race speed? Mine doesn’t which is why I leave it turned off… I see around 200 in the summer.[/quote]
The fan is just for the paddock, or when otherwise stationary. Once the car starts moving the fan is just an impediment to air flow.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]FishMan wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]

Does your fan make a measurable difference in temperature at race speed? Mine doesn’t which is why I leave it turned off… I see around 200 in the summer.[/quote]
The fan is just for the paddock, or when otherwise stationary. Once the car starts moving the fan is just an impediment to air flow.[/quote]

A fan with a temp switch also helps for those that forget to turn it on in a red flag situation when the car is very hot. I knew a person who melted an engine this way.

Next, debate the merits of small air openings for increased front downforce by using a monster radiator and a switch-only fan. Mine was all duct taped up at RA for the extra aero down the long straightaways.

Ho,ho,ho, Merry Christmas.

RP

I actually noticed that on your car when I watched the race. I said to myself look at that Taxi with an almost totaly smooth front air dam.

I think a manual or switched fan is good insurance. I had that setup on my e36 and never experienced overheating issues.

Is there a preference for pusher or puller?

discuss please…

Cost on the Ron Davis was about 250$ I run the lower temp thermostat and my temp, on the track, stays at 174 degrees without the fan.

No engineering required…use stock hoses everywhere, including the surge tank (that would be what the 3/8" bung would be used for) The radiator is a drop in. If you can’t figure how to do that, I suspect you have trouble putting gas in your car:laugh:

What Scott, Jim and I learned on the dyno is that the motor makes best power under 180 degrees.

If you are running a stock temp gauge, shame on you. You have no idea what temp you motor is running because they are grossly inaccurate…ask Scott (Ranger). A mechanical gauge is a must. Chuck

If you are worrying more about the engine temps and oil pressures than you are about your driving and going faster, then shame on you… ask Robinson (IndyJim). Driver improvement is a must.

I’m with DeVinney on this one (but not usually). Don’t confuse those just starting out with issues that don’t really need to be issues. My car ran fine and put out good power, stock radiator and all (on the dyno). On the track it did pretty well too… Maybe it was the driver :laugh:

Man, in hindsight, just imagine how fast I would have been with an aftermarket radiator and a mechanical temp gauge. That my friends will blow your mind… and your doors off.

TheRedBaron wrote:

[quote]If you are worrying more about the engine temps and oil pressures than you are about your driving and going faster, then shame on you… ask Robinson (IndyJim). Driver improvement is a must.

I’m with DeVinney on this one (but not usually). Don’t confuse those just starting out with issues that don’t really need to be issues. My car ran fine and put out good power, stock radiator and all (on the dyno). On the track it did pretty well too… Maybe it was the driver :laugh:
[/quote]
It’s not a zero sum game. That is to say it’s not a matter of choosing to work on driver skills OR looking into mechanical issues that catch your interest. Work on your driver skills. But when it’s 10PM, the kids are in bed, the wife’s asleep on the couch and you’re bored…go out into your garage and imagineer.

Craig, when you get more experience you will realize that is the little things, once you learn to compete, that make the car a winner. Engine temp, corner weighting, clutch weight, and weight placement are some of the “little things” that need to be addressed after the initial learning period. (Then some of us are much more anal about such than others:laugh: :laugh: )Chuck

All of the little things that I could possibly do do not make up for my lack of talent.

RP

Patton wrote:

[quote]All of the little things that I could possibly do do not make up for my lack of talent.

RP[/quote]

You’ve really got to stop with this “lack of talent” bit!!! It sucks to get beat by somebody like you with no talent and really lowers my self esteem!

Fish, you’ll be past this mid-pack guy soon. Keep working on the golf game, mine is maxxed-out.

Now back to the debate.I want to see the talk on aero stuff. I noted that the BMW Owner’s Manual gives a 325is a 1mph higher to speed than a 325i.
No kidding.

RP

Speaking of aero…anyone interested in a splitter for their car? Note, fabrication required…pop rivet to bottom of OEM spoiler and extends back to wheel opening (covers under radiator for better cooling and aero). Chuck

FishMan wrote:

[quote]Patton wrote:

[quote]All of the little things that I could possibly do do not make up for my lack of talent.

RP[/quote]

You’ve really got to stop with this “lack of talent” bit!!! It sucks to get beat by somebody like you with no talent and really lowers my self esteem![/quote]

Amen!!

cwbaader wrote:

Hey Chuck maybe when you race in a spec class that emphasizes driving the car versus coming up with stuff to tinker on your opinion will carry more weight.

With all due respect being the mega champ of ITB isn’t exactly on the resume of top F1 champs.

Also with all due respect to Ranger and Jim who I both enjoy and like a great deal, their cabinets aren’t bursting with hardware.

Everyone has a different interest in this sport, some guys like working on their cars more than others. I just think we need to be a little cautious when saying “YOU MUST” or “YOU HAVE TO”

The only person getting paid to race even remotely close to SE30 is Mike Skeen and I never saw him doing 1/10th of this BS to his car. So if you love to tinker and figure things out that is fine, but don’t kid yourself that anyone is going from 15th place to 1,2, or 3rd running a different radiator.

Jim, what about the aero???

Go ahead, bust my chops…

RP (keeping the pot sturred)

cwbaader wrote:

Wow! That’s ground breaking engineering. That was fully discussed, described and implemented at NASA Championships. In 2009. By me.

PS - Don’t pop rivet the splitter to the chin spoiler. Some tracks you need the downforce, others it is unnecessary drag.

PPS - Chuck, I wish you would either race with us head to head or zip it. Every post you ever offer has the tone of “This is the only way to do it” which beyond being boorishly offensive is just plain wrong. Remember that whole “colder spark plug” debate? When you get debunked like a moron like me, you really gotta reconsider this whole “M20 Expert” title.