Radiator...

FYI. I called Ron Davis Racing and they quoted me $624 with no fan, no shroud, just the radiator.
Jason

[quote=“jls8177” post=63886]FYI. I called Ron Davis Racing and they quoted me $624 with no fan, no shroud, just the radiator.
Jason[/quote]
I contacted them a year ago about the same thing. That price was why I started looking at AFCO and Pro-tek.

See these threads
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1759358&highlight=radiator
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1757926&highlight=radiator

I know I can be a little slow, but why exactly are you guys proposing to spend north of $500 on a fancy radiator?

My experience is that the stock radiator is more than capable of maintaining normal operating temperature when at speed on track, so what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

First…the motors loose power if operated over 180 degrees, and with a stock radiator that is marginal.

Second, you don’t call up and ask for a custom radiator. You ask for a stock double pass 19" X 26", delete the radiator cap and add a 3/8" bung, and 1 1/2" inlet and outlet on passenger side. Should run the in the 450 range…and worth every penny. With the 176 degree thermostat, my motor runs that temp on 100+ days. Chuck

[quote=“ctbimmer” post=63896]I know I can be a little slow, but why exactly are you guys proposing to spend north of $500 on a fancy radiator?

My experience is that the stock radiator is more than capable of maintaining normal operating temperature when at speed on track, so what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?[/quote]
The solutions in my links were ~$200 and $250, but they needed a little bit of custom work. It can be done for <$300 pretty easily tho.

I agree with ChuckB on the idea of there’s power to be found keeping your engine cool. The coolant temp sensor is one of the few DME inputs during open loop (WOT) operation. I can’t say with any precision at what point the DME starts dialing back power, but it’s certainly below 210deg. I bet a tuner could give us good scoop on what’s happening.

Certainly if your intake manifold is 20deg cooler than mine, your getting a denser air charge. Therefore the DME providing more fuel is reasonable, even if it’s not listening to the O2 sensor because it’s in open loop. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t conjecture. We saw this behavior on the dyno.

Ranger,

Do you think your triple pass solution is better than you double? Just curios if you notice a difference and also if the time/money for mods is worth one over the other.

Was your triple the 19x24 on the Pro-Tek site? Also, is there a hose solution as opposed to fabing the radiator? I don’t know anyone that welds aluminum.

Jason

[quote=“jls8177” post=63903]Ranger,

Do you think your triple pass solution is better than you double? Just curios if you notice a difference and also if the time/money for mods is worth one over the other.

Was your triple the 19x24 on the Pro-Tek site? Also, is there a hose solution as opposed to fabing the radiator? I don’t know anyone that welds aluminum.
[/quote]Speaking as a mechanical engineer that took a lot of heat xfer course work, I’d have to say “I don’t know”. Given the same heat xfer surface area and water/air flow characteristics it is not clear to me that a triple pass would be obviously more efficient. I got the triple pass radiator primarily because it was cheaper than the Aftec, Aflac, or whatever the other one was.

I think mine’s a 26". To be certain, measure the distance between your frame rails…If it’s 26", than that’s what I have.

Re. not knowing a welder. Google machine shops in your area and start calling them. Each one that says “we don’t weld that much aluminum” ask them if they know someone who does. Every racer needs to know a pro welder, a machine shop, and a hydraulic repair shop.

re. Time/effort on mods. If projects strike you as interesting, do them. If you’re not into that sort of thing than don’t. I’d done all sorts of fabulous little improvements to my old car and I was rarely a podium threat. Dick around with things because it interests you, not because you think it’s a significant performance advantage. If you do well, it’ll be because of your skills.