Patching a seat

Got a big hole in the halo part of my Sparco seat.

I really like my seat. Rather than spend a G on a new chair, is there some kind of patch kit that will maintain compliance?

Re-read the NASA CCR on seats. You’re going to find that it’s pretty vague. The only “compliance” issue is that FIA compliant seats don’t need a backbrace for 5yrs. The rest of the discussion of seats is about seat construction and mounting.

I don’t know spit about carbon fiber repair. I figure that if your halo has been structurally damaged, it would be pretty challenging to find someone that could adequately repair it. IMO a halo is really important tho, so if it was me I wouldn’t let it go.

Another issue is tech inspection. If the seat is not structurally sound a tech inspector might not pass it. Gray areas like that can cause unpredictable outcomes. One tech inspector might not care and another might have strong feelings about it.

If, on the other hand, the problem is just cosmetic, then go with the duct tape.

Its just the fabric on the halo.

Well that kinda makes it a non-issue. Wife or GF knit? Maybe they could make you a nice wool argyle sock to slide over the halo piece.

The seat is supposed to be fire retardant. Most fabrics will burn like a mofo. That’s what I meant by “compliant”. I know you can get nomex thread but I haven’t seen patch material.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The halo on my AL seat is padded with rubber and uses duct tape to help keep it in place. They’d burn easily enough, but there outside of my helmet so no big deal.

But if you do want some fire resistant material, there’s lots that around. Old beat up suits, balaclavas, socks. Heck, you could just use a piece of leather. I certainly wouldn’t bother with nomex thread. In the passenger compartment you’re surrounded by things that are flammable. Some thread or a little piece of material isn’t going to make any difference.

you maybe able to buy a new cover from the manufacturer.

you can also buy nomex seat cover material . I know they sell it for custom fitted inserts. Try Pegasus … https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=3136
$20 a foot so not cheap

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/sparco/part-type/seat-covers

Seems like a factory cover is only $185 dollars away. not sure of your model number