Oil pan baffling / windage scraper

I am not sure if the rules allow oil pan baffling and/or crank scraper, but since my car is not SpecE30 legal at this point, I thought I’d ask anyway. Does anyone have one or the other in their engine? Are they home-made, or available for purchase somewhere?

TIA,
Alex

A crank scraper is legal and a very good thing to do as it will help prevent oil starvation in left hand turns. Factory3 has both the Ishihara-Johnson steel crank scraper and also now has a teflon lined variant (see http://www.factory3performance.com).

In case it wasn’t clear, oil pan baffling is not legal in SpecE30.

i beg to differ.

Huh. Did that change? I could have sworn that pan baffles were not legal when I built my car…

Ireland Engineering sells a windage tray for $40 or so. I bought one to install in the engine I’m building. Unfortunately, as with most IE stuff, it came with no instructions.

Best I can figure, I should seal it to the block with sealant, then put on the oil pan gasket and the pan. Anybody know for sure?

Randy87is wrote:

[quote]Ireland Engineering sells a windage tray for $40 or so. I bought one to install in the engine I’m building. Unfortunately, as with most IE stuff, it came with no instructions.

Best I can figure, I should seal it to the block with sealant, then put on the oil pan gasket and the pan. Anybody know for sure?[/quote]
Craig, far as I can recall, it’s always been in the rules. Been there since at least beginning of 2007 for sure.

Randy, what you described is the way I have always installed the Ishihara-Johnson scraper, which I sell.

If you have the time, the best way I think is to bolt up the windage tray with sealant, then run 10 or so bolts down to hold it snug. Will probably need to washer-up the bolts because they may bottom out with only the windage tray.

Let it set up overnight if you’ve got the time, then carefully remove the bolts, trying not to disturb the windage tray, then put the gasket and pan on with light layer of sealant and go from there.

Edit: The above overnight process applies if the engine is in the car. If you have the motor inverted on a stand (I just realized you are building the motor) then it’s a one-shot process exactly as you described.

I ended up buying an Ishihara-Johnson scraper, which I think is better than the IE piece because of the double-action, for just a little more money. You can install it with a gasket, as you described. Or use sealant on both interfaces, as the scraper manufacturer recommends.

Alex

Thanks for the input. My engine is upside down on the stand so I should be able to do both at one time.

I wish these parts came with better instructions (or in the case of IE, any instructions.)

Randy87is wrote:

[quote]Thanks for the input. My engine is upside down on the stand so I should be able to do both at one time.

I wish these parts came with better instructions (or in the case of IE, any instructions.)[/quote]

Chuck includes instructions when it’s bought from Factory3.

I notice the ishihara-johnson scrapers sold on Factory3 don’t mention the 2.7L e motor. Is it still compatible. I will be having the car on stands the next week changing out the pan gasket and wanted to know if it fit i might as well toss it in while i’m under there.

I can special-order the 2.7L scrapers, although it’s not listed on the site. The 2.5 piece is not the same and they aren’t interchangeable.

ctbimmer wrote:

Can you elaborate on how they are different?

When I ordered my I/J scraper a couple of years ago their was no difference. I am the one who got them to add the holes for main studs as the very first implementation did not include these.

I have installed 2 I/J crank scrapers since them and both of them where using 2.7 cranks and again their was no special requests made, we just ordered a crank scraper for a M20 and they work.

Direct from www.crank-scrapers.com the original Ishira johnson website.

Oppsies, no special order needed. Always best to buy direct.

peerless wrote:[quote]
Oppsies, no special order needed. Always best to buy direct.[/quote]

I guess you’re not planning to need any help from the vendors who support the series and help the rest of us all the time… no need to be an ass about it.

leggwork wrote:

[quote]
no need to be an ass about it.[/quote]

That was maybe a little harsh. I’ve talked to peerless before and he’s always seemed like a good guy. The other day he and I were talking about him sponsoring a driver in his region.

If a person is having a bad day, everything said on the Internet is annoying. If you just got laid, nothing can touch you. Bad day?

actually, it was a bad day, (but harsh would be “asshole”)
but I still don’t see the need to suggest that it is better to buy direct vs. through a vendor. especially when I realized afterwards that peerless/Robert is an independent who probably resells some stuff also…

I-J tells me the 2.7L scrapers are different than the 2.5, due to the different crankshaft stroke. Will the 2.5 physically fit a 2.7 motor? Apparently so. Does it fit correctly? Maybe not.

I try to keep the 2.5 steel scrapers in stock.

I-J, because they make so many different models, doesn’t normally attempt to keep stock on hand, so for them, almost every retail order is a essentially a special order. Meaning, ordering a 2.5L scraper from me may get to you sooner.

I’d like to think I add some value and support to the customers and racers who patronize me, as do all the other vendors who support this series.

Make your choice and vote with your credit card, it’s up to you.

Peace brother.

I’ve installed the IE scraper in 2 motors. Each time had to file and grind some to make good clearance from the crank hitting it. After you install the scraper, turn the crank to test, both before & AFTER you put the oil pan back on. One of mine cleared until I put the pan on & then the crank hit it. Had to remove pan & grind a little more.
Tom

Agree this can be true if you’re shopping on price or to avoid certain types of obsoleted inventory.

However retail vendors like Factory3 and Valley Motorwerks (among others) can provide pricing based on their volume ordering, instructions, and package shipping if you order from more than one manufacturer.

Normally I wouldn’t comment, but I thought the way this was communicated wasn’t too cool since Chuck is pretty active here and supporting the racers. Most of us try to support our vendors that support the series.

My apologies gentleman. I am the new guy here and their is no need for me to spout my mouth off like I did in regards to the ‘buy direct’ comment.

I build quite a few M20’s, M42,s and even a old M30 so E30 engines are pretty familair to me and I have as mentioned used the I-J scrapers in a couple 2.7s.

Also, since I am new I did not understand or appreciate the vendors that support the Spec E30 series in regards to supplying parts directly to you through certain vendors.

I hope you folks can accept my apologies.

Thanks,
Robert