Newby questions for clarification re: contact

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a Spec E30 but not licensed yet.Had been reading thread about incidents on track and the rules governing fault. I was hoping to get a little input about the scenarios listed in the CCR book.Specifically the on-track incidents scenarios depicted. In figure 9 the fault is assigned to car A for failing to see car B. But car B has a responsibility to complete pass safely (assuming he has at least 3/4 car width from car A) I understand the spirit of the rule (be safe and don’t purposely be a trouble maker) but it seems to be a little contradictory to other scenarios. Until car B completes the pass car A still has the line as long as they give racing room and car B has responsibility to complete pass safely.Figure 11 states that car B is at fault for failing to maintain control of the car when tail comes out on exit and contacts car A, but in scenario 12 the fault is assigned to car A for assuming that car B will turn in at normal point. It states that car B may have entered turn to fast or perhaps chose an abnormal turn-in point. And then states that car A must not make assumptions in case car B turns in later of even does not turn in at all and simply drives straight off the track. I understand the later turn in point, but doesn’t car B still have obligation to complete the pass safely? Furthermore, if car B drives straight off track, doesn’t that mean he/she failed to maintain control of their car?

I understand I have very little experience racing on track which is why I was looking for some input. I also understand the other thread(s) pertaining to this subject have been extensive. But that thread was closed. I must admit that the rules’ seeming contradictions have me wondering if racing is really for me as I cannot easily afford to build another car if I lose this one along with the fact I cannot be competitive if everyone knows they can bully me at will.

Thanks to everyone and apologies for beating a dead horse.

[quote=“Diggs” post=81263]Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a Spec E30 but not licensed yet.Had been reading thread about incidents on track and the rules governing fault. I was hoping to get a little input about the scenarios listed in the CCR book.Specifically the on-track incidents scenarios depicted. In figure 9 the fault is assigned to car A for failing to see car B. But car B has a responsibility to complete pass safely (assuming he has at least 3/4 car width from car A) I understand the spirit of the rule (be safe and don’t purposely be a trouble maker) but it seems to be a little contradictory to other scenarios. Until car B completes the pass car A still has the line as long as they give racing room and car B has responsibility to complete pass safely.Figure 11 states that car B is at fault for failing to maintain control of the car when tail comes out on exit and contacts car A, but in scenario 12 the fault is assigned to car A for assuming that car B will turn in at normal point. It states that car B may have entered turn to fast or perhaps chose an abnormal turn-in point. And then states that car A must not make assumptions in case car B turns in later of even does not turn in at all and simply drives straight off the track. I understand the later turn in point, but doesn’t car B still have obligation to complete the pass safely? Furthermore, if car B drives straight off track, doesn’t that mean he/she failed to maintain control of their car?

I understand I have very little experience racing on track which is why I was looking for some input. I also understand the other thread(s) pertaining to this subject have been extensive. But that thread was closed. I must admit that the rules’ seeming contradictions have me wondering if racing is really for me as I cannot easily afford to build another car if I lose this one along with the fact I cannot be competitive if everyone knows they can bully me at will.

Thanks to everyone and apologies for beating a dead horse.[/quote]
I’m likely the SpecE30 driver most obsessed with driver conduct rules. I’ve discussed them at length in long emails with the NASA CCR author and honcho Jerry Kunzman. He was very patient with me, I am in his debt for him giving me so much of his time, we had a terrible time trying to understand precisely what the other person was saying, and in the end he did not find any of my arguments all that compelling.

Note that you are discussing this in the wrong place. The right place for this discussion is the NASA forum, not here at SpecE30.

Example 9. The apparent contradictions in example 9 are worse than you know. The justification for Car A being at fault is the idea that the “right to be there” rule is a product of making sure that the passee knows the passer is there. Yet, as you mentioned, the passer only gains a right to 3/4 track width. Therefore the passee in this example is asking for more track then the passer is required to give him.

Significant points that came out of the discussions with Mr. Kunzman. 1) If passer has not yet earned the right to be there, and envision a slowly developing pass on a straight, the passer can be squeezed to 4 off the track. It’s a bad idea, but the rules allow for it. 2) Once passer’s nose is up to passee’s door, passer has earned the right to be there which means 3/4 track width. Therefore passee can only squeeze passer to 2 wheels off the track.

Yes, example 9 contradicts what I just wrote. As I stated, Mr. Kunzman and I had a hard time communicating. I would point out an example like this contradiction and he would respond by saying something along the lines of “it was important to illustrate the example of the requirement of the passee to be aware.” I would say that the example created a contradiction and he would see his point as primary. I’m not saying that was an exact exchange. It was an attempt to illustrate the general tone of the conversations.

Example 12. Imo this example is unsupportable. The passer attempts an aggressive pass and loses control of his car. Yet the passee is blamed.

Here’s what is really going on. Other sanctioning orgs like SCCA, IMSA, BMWCCA, etc. don’t go into a lot of detail re. passing rules. They say vague things that give general guidance that both passee and passer have the right to a full track width, passer is obligated to pass safely, and the passee is obligated to be aware. Only NASA tries to get into more detail, but in doing so our CCR creates contradictions.

What this means in practice. The folks adjudicating an incident will have their own opinions re. what’s important and what is less so. One adjudicator might focus on “passee demanded a full car width” and another adjudicator might focus on “passee needed to be more aware and not squeeze”. The decision re. fault will be made based on what the video shows, the personal biases, and some debate between interested parties.

Fortunately, discussion re. who was at fault rarely has to get into this much detail. Usually it’s pretty obvious so there isn’t too much use in agonizing over the contradictions.

I’m one of the nutjobs in the series and my perception of the contradictions re. driver conduct in the NASA CCR drives me crazy. I also turned into a crazed maniac every time I’m reminded that the NASA CCR totally allows the passee to ram the passer right off the track, with the sole proviso that if the passer has earned the “right to be there”, then he can only be squeezed to 2 off the track.

Over the years I’ve made a lot of good friends in SpecE30 and in NASA. A lot of those guys are pretty senior in both. I really love these guys. But, I’ve also been in some knock-down drag-out fights with them over these issues. They see me (accurately) as a problem child advocating things that are not in the CCR, and I see them as being blind to the contradictions and advocating ideas that lead to carnage. We’ve not been able to convince each other. But keep in mind that these are great guys and great friends. So at some point in these discussions I just had to/have to back away from the issue because we’re were/are just driving each other crazy.

SouthEast region SpecE30 has fixed this. We have explicitly prohibeted the passee from deliberately squeezing another SpecE30 off of the track in slowly developing pass situations. By slowly developing, I mean as opposed to the common dive to the inside in the braking zone, which is all part of the fun. I will try to generate some interest in the other regional directors to make this idea more widespread. Classes are allowed to create their own driver conduct rules, an idea that Mr. Kunzman emphasized, so we can fix the perceived problems for the NASA CCR for our class. I don’t know if the idea is going to catch on tho. Race car drivers are a very independent lot so have a hard time agreeing about anything. Also, the regions with small car counts have a lot fewer incidents then the big regions do. So the smaller regional directors don’t see it as such a big deal.

Thank you, Ranger, for the clarification of correct forum for this. I might bring up this topic this weekend at the VIR NASA event.
And thank you for the information/opinions. I suppose I will need to think long and hard about whether or not to join the ranks of Spec E30 racers. I have heard so many good things about the guys in the mid-atlantic and southeast regions. It was a real eye opener when I found out about the NASA rules allowing (one could argue even supporting) such potentially disastrous contact during a race. Granted this is most likely an exaggerated description.
A large group of essentially identical cars will inevitably see episodes of slow passing attempts on the straights, and I just didn’t connect the dots prior to reading some of the posts in your thread. Nevertheless, it is unsettling to know that if I can’t get past this car pretty quickly with the same or even less hp than mine, they have every right to squeeze me off the track. Kind of takes away the impetus to even try to pass. Especially since it’s an amateur racing club where the members are essentially racing for fun, camaraderie and maybe bragging rights.

Ranger is right.

Also in Comp school I was reminded that neither Penske nor Gnassi are at our races looking for their next driver. We are supposed to have fun and the economic value to have another plaque or NASA Winner sticker is pretty low. so give the other guy some room to race.

I tapped Ranger today at the end of an incident. Still feel bad about it. Neither of us was at fault. An incident created by an oil spill.

Keep it safe.

[quote=“Diggs” post=81265]Thank you, Ranger, for the clarification of correct forum for this. I might bring up this topic this weekend at the VIR NASA event.
And thank you for the information/opinions. I suppose I will need to think long and hard about whether or not to join the ranks of Spec E30 racers. I have heard so many good things about the guys in the mid-atlantic and southeast regions. It was a real eye opener when I found out about the NASA rules allowing (one could argue even supporting) such potentially disastrous contact during a race. Granted this is most likely an exaggerated description.
A large group of essentially identical cars will inevitably see episodes of slow passing attempts on the straights, and I just didn’t connect the dots prior to reading some of the posts in your thread. Nevertheless, it is unsettling to know that if I can’t get past this car pretty quickly with the same or even less hp than mine, they have every right to squeeze me off the track. Kind of takes away the impetus to even try to pass. Especially since it’s an amateur racing club where the members are essentially racing for fun, camaraderie and maybe bragging rights.[/quote]
Don’t obsess over this issue. Philosophically it’s a problem, sure, but in real life it almost always works out. The couple times in the last few years where a passee tried to protect his position by squeezing the passer off the track, the passee ended up punting himself and seriously damaging his car. The passer drove on with barely a scratch. Therefore squeezing as a defensive move is so risky for the pasee that it’s kinda self-correcting.

I’d go as far as to say that the above issue is trivial. I don’t worry about being squeezed off the track. It’s fluids on the track that I worry about. I’ve crashed 3x due to fluids on the track. Fortunately, 2 of them were minor. Unfortunately, 1 of them was yesterday. BTW, in none of the 3 cases was it a SpecE30 that dumped the fluid in the track.

I would talk to your regional SpecE30 director and the other racers in your region. They will provide the most accurate picture of the environment.

And the rest of the story…

It isn’t in the rule book:
So let’s say, in short order, you caught dude and now have dogged him for three laps. You finally get a run and he squeezes you over.

Dog him some more.

He squeezes you over.
You are losing space to the race in front of you.

Penske and the like are not watching.

Isn’t this fun?

What happens the next time you finally get along side of dude could be a prescription for ugliness.

This isn’t in the rule book: Know who you are racing.

RP

The guy yesterday that did the squeezing was at fault and got 3 points. He is new this year and realizes now he made a mistake.

I don’t know how the oil got there, it was there when I arrived at the corner. My video does not show how it got there.

The rules worked.

If it were up to me I would have a higher level of penalty points assessed for accidents that cause significant car(s) damage. Say 5 points. So if it was your fault and it caused a lot of damage (up to the stewards to decide the break point), you would have to be virtually clean for the following year to stay racing.

This is still a lot of fun and I am glad I joined this year. Overall I think Cobetto and team run a good event.

That is just my opinion and obviously the new penalty idea it is not up to me. I’m just sayin’ :slight_smile:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the race. Missed the incident that happened at beginning as was sitting up by turn 3.
Thanks all for the insight. I am acquiring the seat time and honing the skills. My main worry isn’t getting wrecked, it’s f’ing up and causing problems. So few more open passing weekends at least are in order. Then I will pursue the license. Give me time to build a reservoir of spare parts and such ($).

[quote=“pwbacon356” post=81283]

The rules worked.

If it were up to me I would have a higher level of penalty points assessed for accidents that cause significant car(s) damage. Say 5 points. So if it was your fault and it caused a lot of damage (up to the stewards to decide the break point), you would have to be virtually clean for the following year to stay racing.

This is still a lot of fun and I am glad I joined this year. Overall I think Cobetto and team run a good event.

That is just my opinion and obviously the new penalty idea it is not up to me. I’m just sayin’ :)[/quote]
Keep in mind the the regions are not identical. MidAtl sort of has an Incident Review Board (IRB) an idea that is in the NASA CCR. The IRB, near as I can tell, consists of Jeff Hall, altho the Race Director (I don’t remember who this is) would probably be pulled into the discussion if there was debate. Jeff is the point man in figuring out what happened and talking to the drivers. If it’s a SpecE30 incident, Andrew Zimmerman (MidAlt SpecE30 director) may or may not end up in the discussion. Jeff then makes a recommendation to Chris Cobetto. At least that’s how I understand it.

In the SE there is no IRB. If there is a SpecE30 incident the driver’s fill out the contact forms. If someone is pissed, they’ll ask me to look into it. If no one is pissed, I stay out of it. In the scenario where someone is angry, I look at the videos and make a recommendation for consequences on the SpecE30 guy to Jim Pantas, the SE NASA director. My point is that NASA-SE has no equivalent of MidAtl’s Jeff Hall…a guy who’s job it is to review all incidents and make recommendations to the regional director. One system isn’t necessarily better or worse, they are just different. Unsurprisingly, I like the SE’s system. I bet that Andrew likes the MidAtl’s system.

Another difference is that in SE SpecE30 we have some supplemental driver conduct rules. It’s in a sticky in the SE subforum. 1) No squeezing. 2) Lock up your brakes if you go out of control so people can predict the movement of your car. 3) Don’t re-enter the track until you are under control and there is room for you.

The reason for the supplemental driver conduct rules in the SE is that a couple years ago we were developing a bad reputation. Too many serious incidents that were avoidable. We had to do something about it because we were scaring off potential newbies.

Drivers need to know how the regions they visit work. Jeff Hall got mad at Sandro last weekend because Sandro didn’t come talk to him about an incident. Altho that requirement was briefed at the driver’s meeting, the idea that one is required to have a face-to-face with a NASA official, even if it’s a minor incident, is so foreign to a SE guy, that the idea didn’t really register with Sandro. Jeff was pretty mad that he had to go hunting for Sandro while also needing to be everywhere else for compliance and incident issues.

It was Sandro’s fault, yet it’s kinda understandable. After the incident at VIR on Sunday I went and filled out a contact form and sat on my butt in the tech shed waiting for Jeff Hall to come by so I could have the required conversation. I knew that I wasn’t in trouble, but I also knew, thanks only to Sandro, that I had to talk to Jeff or I would be in trouble. So if Sandro hadn’t gotten in trouble, I wouldn’t have understood it to be a big deal, so I’d have left the tech shed after filling out the incident form.

The lesson learned is to to communicate with the SpecE30 director when you’re visiting a region. Andrew knows precisely how MidAtl operates. So the person to check with for little issues that might get you in a pickle is him.

SE supplemental rule#4:

Don’t hit Patton’s car.

RP

Hello

I just want to add something to the conversation…there has been a lot of good info/comments. As Patton said, know who you are racing…

Some things for a newbie, on standing starts you will get squeezed, it will not be intentional but it will happen, you have to be so focused on what is in front of you and it is so crowded that it just happens. On Saturday I got squeezed off at the start, was not real happy about it but it is just the nature of the beast especially with 30 cars.

Also got squeezed off in turn 1 Saturday first lap…that was mostly a result of having the Spec 3 cars too close but again something to be aware of as a newbie and it is not really anyone’s “fault” luckily I did not bounce back across the track. Rangers video from Sunday, he did a really good job of hanging on to the outside line, but imagine if one car in the inside pack gets loose…

Entering the top of the roller coaster on lap one I was on the outside of 3 other cars, all of a sudden the car to my right (inside) is sidedways in front of me, I figured one of the 2 cars to the inside (passing) had slide wide and knocked him in front of me but video showed that I had contact with him…I was not in the act of passing, was on the outside of the corner…I “think” the driver saw two cars coming inside and was giving them room. Luckily there was zero damage, could not even see where the cars had touched…point being there are many many situations where it is impossible to sort out who is responsible, and you have to come to terms with that…

The last contact I had last weekend, was again at the top of roller coaster at the beginning of the “Melee” at turn 14. I saw the plume of smoke and waving yellow and slowed down as it looked like the track was totally blocked…the driver behind me did not slow as much and tagged me square which sent me straight across the track and headed downhill in the grass. That bump probably saved me from serious body damage as I never got to the oil and the pile up, unfortunately I think it cracked my exhaust which fell off a few laps later. I know myself and Ranger have had this situation before, when someone slows more than expected…it is tough because it can cause a domino effect just like on the street…

So as a newbie you need to understand that a lot of contact will be classified “racing incident” about the best you can do is make sure you are running video and be sure to know the regions policies before hand.

Al

Al
Sorry about the tap. I wish I had followed you left because it was slippery on the right. I went right and ended sliding into Ranger.

About 20 minutes later, after the Black flag delay, I have video of you trying to execute a pass in the esses in the grass. Your tailpipe flies off as you re-enter the track. The exhaust flew across the track then must have cut my rear tire. LOL

I retired early

BTW, I have some window lifts to trade

Paul