New Years Resolution!

Well Guys…I’ve finally taken the plunge and made the decision to prepare to go racing Spec E30 style. I’ve been a member here for a little over a year and have been observing and absorbing alot of the knowledge and information that you all have been posting.

I bought an 88 M3 about 15 months ago and that was the beginning of my demise, otherwise known as my love affair with BMW. :B) My wife calls it my other love.

Last year I began DE’s with the M3 and was immediately hooked. In 2008, I went to the Pocono Grand Slam (Where I met Secu) and Thunder at the Glen.(No SE30s :angry: ) The Glen was unbelievable! My instructor at the Glen kept saying “It’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on.” It very well may be the most fun you can have, with or without clothes!

During the past 6 months, I’ve been searching for information regarding an affordable racing series and was uncertain whether to go in the direction of spec miata or SE30…until I drove a miata. :unsure: The decision was infinitely easier after that experience!

I have a 2 Door, '90 325i that I bought in August that was purchased specifically for this project. I plan to trailer the car to the events, so I really don’t need the space a 4 door affords as stated on one of the threads. Best part is, It came with the LSD option. :woohoo: Wooo Hoo! It needs some work, but I just bought a freshly rebuilt motor with all new parts, i.e. bearings, pistons, rebuilt head, oil pump, water pump, etc, etc. I plan to install the new motor over the next 2 months and possibly rebuild the existing over time for use as a spare.

Once it is running again, I will install all the suspension parts and brakes, then do some DE’s with it to sort it out prior to intstalling the cage. I doubt if I will get to race this year, but it is possible. I still need to get my comp lisence. I’m looking forward to racing a full season in 2010 with a car that is totally rebuit…for the most part. I am open to suggestions of comments on tips and pitfalls that I might encounter during the build process. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

The only drawback that I can see with SE30 is that the NE appears to be low on participants. It does seem to be growing in popularity though. How many participants are in the NE? Hopefully more people can join the fun to consitently have a good showing for the races.

I look forward to meeting everyone at the events this year and hopefully be accepted into the ‘family’. I think my first event will be Pocono East in early May.

Joe

Welcome, I also started life with an E30 M3. Your spec E30 race car will be very similiar. I think the north east is going to experience a lot of growth soon. I think there are a number of people building cars and it is just a matter of time before there are decent fields in the North East. I know I’m looking forward to running Watkins Glean again in the future.

Welcome Joe,

I hope to see you at the track this year.

welcome joe. where in the NE are you? I too am aiming for 2010. Good to see more NE SpecE30 action.

Joe, Welcome. There are a half dozen build threads of cars in the Southeast. Come over and check them out, questions are welcomed. As for growth in the Northeast, I would expect it to explode within this next year.

Welcome Joe. The Northeast is growing and we should have some decent fields next year. My car is basically done. I’m currently doing HPDEs and hope to go for my comp license in October. If all goes well I’ll be racing in 2010 as well.
If you have any questions or want to stop by and see the car feel free to ask.
Regards,

Bob

Pennsylvania is not far from summit point (west va). The mid atlantic region runs there several times a year with a large number of SE30’s.

ps- despite popular opinion, mid atlantic drivers do not bite… hard :kiss:.

yup. spr is only 4hrs from me in north nj (about equidistant to watkins glen). also, with bmwcca allowing spec e30 to run, there should be more competition in the NE as well.

allenr wrote:

[quote]
ps- despite popular opinion, mid atlantic drivers do not bite… hard :kiss:.[/quote]

They’ll tell you they love you. And they’ll give you the ol’ bump and grind.

But they won’t call you the next day.

haha… speaking from experience are we? :slight_smile:

I must resist, I must resist. I will resist. :wink:

Glad to hear you’re gonna come out and race with us. True, the numbers are still a little low in the NE, but the average number of drivers per race should at least double by 2010. And when the MA guys get sick of driving the same 2 tracks, they might even venture up every once in awhile :wink: So things should be looking good. If you have any questions, just ask.

Racing Watkins Glen would be a thrill. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I’m excited to become a part of a great group of people that like to have some fun, whether racing or posting.[quote]where in the NE are you? [/quote] I’m in Dallas PA, (Actually Franklin Twp.) which is in the Northeast part of the state. It’s about 45 minutes from Pocono and 2.5 hours from The Glen…towing a car. Hopefully I’ll get to do at least one DE either at VIR or Summit. Hopefully NJMP too, which is about 3 hrs away from me.

Just picked up the rebuilt motor yesterday. Gonna be alot of late nights once I get started.

Kishg and rsott59, where in NJ are you?

At some point this year, I would like to check out your cars. Best way would be to see you at one of the events, but I always up for a raod trip, If I have the time. I’m planning on being at Pocono alot this year. I have a travel trailer set up in a campground about 20 minutes from Pocono. Anyone is welcome to come visit if at the track when I’m there. Cheap accomodations and good food/beverages.:wink:

I will stop in the SE to check out the build threads. Good to hear everyone is expecting growth in NE region.

hey joe. i am in north west NJ (morris county), just under 1hr from Pocono, 3.5 hrs to WGI, 2hrs to NJMP. I plan to be at WGI and NJMP quite a lot this season. You will like NJMP, I havent driven Lightning yet but Thunderbolt is awesome. I mostly do DEs with BMWCCA but some with PDA (NASA NE) too. Summit Pt is always a great track too. I usually go down there twice a year or so. VIR is a long haul (8 hrs) for me but planning to go in March.

If any of you NE guys are at the Glen for a BMW club DE, look me up. Grey 325iS parked near a big red trailer and probably an Eagle Talon race car. I’d love to catch up with some other SpecE30 guys. I’m probably losing a season on getting my racing up and started with a kid on the way in May. But I’ll still be out there learning.

Good luck with your build!

bodeecat wrote:

[quote]Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I’m excited to become a part of a great group of people that like to have some fun, whether racing or posting.[quote]where in the NE are you? [/quote] I’m in Dallas PA, (Actually Franklin Twp.) which is in the Northeast part of the state. It’s about 45 minutes from Pocono and 2.5 hours from The Glen…towing a car. Hopefully I’ll get to do at least one DE either at VIR or Summit. Hopefully NJMP too, which is about 3 hrs away from me.

Just picked up the rebuilt motor yesterday. Gonna be alot of late nights once I get started.

Kishg and rsott59, where in NJ are you?

At some point this year, I would like to check out your cars. Best way would be to see you at one of the events, but I always up for a raod trip, If I have the time. I’m planning on being at Pocono alot this year. I have a travel trailer set up in a campground about 20 minutes from Pocono. Anyone is welcome to come visit if at the track when I’m there. Cheap accomodations and good food/beverages.:wink:

I will stop in the SE to check out the build threads. Good to hear everyone is expecting growth in NE region.[/quote]

Hi Joe,

I live in Columbia SC now but I have a lot of family at Harvey’s Lake and the surrounding area. Good to see you are joining the fun! The next time I’m up in your area Ill call you up. Let us know if you ever make it to the SE to do some racing or need anything help or advice.

Brian

bodeecat wrote:

I live in Bedminster, PA which according to Google Maps is approx. 2 hrs from Dallas, PA

Bob

i’ll be there for most of the gvc club events as well as with chin

Well, Hey!

As the other active NE guy (besides secu), glad to hear you’re coming out to run! I’m hopeful of seeing more guys out this year (though that means I’ll just be seeing more taillights fading in the distance…)

I’m up in Western CT, about 2.5 hours from Pocono, 5 from WGI. So I hope I 'll see you there.

And I’m headed to VIR in March, as well, assuming I have the engine back in and sorted out a bit.

See you at the track…

Christian