New Starke, FL Track Date Scheduled

From the most recent NASA FL email newsletter…

[i]NASA Florida
May 3, 2008

Hot News! NASA FL has booked a new event date…the weekend of November 15 & 16, 2008 at the BRAND NEW 2 mile paved road course at the European Rally School & Motorsport Park (ERS Motorsports) located NE of Gainesville just 8 miles south of Starke, FL. Info regarding the track layout and driver amenities will be on our web site soon! Circle Nov 15-16 on your calendar and be one of the FIRST to try out the some “NEW” pavement with NASA FL. We’ll offer all activities that weekend…HPDE, TT and sprint races. [/i]

Sounds like fun!
B)

natblack wrote:

[quote]From the most recent NASA FL email newsletter…

[i]NASA Florida
May 3, 2008

Hot News! NASA FL has booked a new event date…the weekend of November 15 & 16, 2008 at the BRAND NEW 2 mile paved road course at the European Rally School & Motorsport Park (ERS Motorsports) located NE of Gainesville just 8 miles south of Starke, FL. Info regarding the track layout and driver amenities will be on our web site soon! Circle Nov 15-16 on your calendar and be one of the FIRST to try out the some “NEW” pavement with NASA FL. We’ll offer all activities that weekend…HPDE, TT and sprint races. [/i]

Sounds like fun!
B)[/quote]

5 hour trip w/ car on trailer

Slick92GSR wrote:

[quote]natblack wrote:

[quote]From the most recent NASA FL email newsletter…

[i]NASA Florida
May 3, 2008

Sounds like fun!
B)[/quote]

5 hour trip w/ car on trailer[/quote]

That’s not too bad… it takes me longer than that to get down to Homestead B)

The track doesn’t seem large… rentals are under $3k… between 6 drivers $500 each, would be a good deal as testing day.

-M

bavarian3 wrote:

[quote]The track doesn’t seem large… rentals are under $3k… between 6 drivers $500 each, would be a good deal as testing day.

-M[/quote]

Definitely not the worst idea I’ve ever heard :slight_smile:

12 driver’s for $250 ea. and I’m in.

Ranger wrote:

I’m not sure we want any of those SE Troublemakers down here in FL! Although I’m sure we’ll need a flagger for Turn 4 at this track too! Doh!
:silly: Ha ha! Kidding!

The more the merrier… all us rookies should rent out the track and not let any of the podium finishers come play… we need all the help we can get!

If me and the Blacks organize a weekday trackday down at the Starke track, who is in? We’ll give SpecE30 first dibs before we mention it to the greater NASA community.

And no whining about how “it depends on the day”. Either you can commit to making it happen or you can’t.

Good idea, too far. Have fun.

Depends on the day…:stuck_out_tongue:

I just received their track rental brochure. A Sat/Sun is $1500/day and $1k for a weekday. Geez, that’s practically free. For crissakes come on lets do it.

Ranger wrote:

$1000 for a weekday? Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! :woohoo:

Does the brochure say anything about group insurance issues/requirements? Or is it sign the waver and your ass is your own responsibility?
(That’s just my time spent as BMW CCA chapter board member bubbling to the surface;) )
I have to assume that the fees don’t include corner workers/safety/wrecker? In my past experience, places like Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges charged additional for these required items.

Just something that popped into my head…

Still sounds good to me… if ended up being the 1000/day… all we would need is five cars @ $200 each or ten cars @ $100 each and we’re looking at some pretty inexpensive track time!

I’ve been taking to the track guys some more. Price keeps going up. It’s now
$1k track.
$950 tow truck and ambulance
$150/corner worker.

So that’s $2150 assuming that only one flagger is needed because <10 cars on the track. Or whatever the requirement is.

I talked to a local DE organizer and she said expect $600-800 for insurance. And apparently the number of corner workers is specified by the insurance company.

There are a couple local clubs that host DE’s at Roebling. I’m going to try to get one of them interested in hosting an event at Starke.

Two points to make …

1. Based on a 10 car field:
    if wheel to wheel practice is what is desired out of this track day, 10 cars on a 2 mile track may not provide a lot of traffic experience for “wheel to wheel.” Of course, 10 cars, provided everyone is out on the track all at once.

2. Most DE’s have as much as 15-25 cars per group. Will this be open to Solo drivers only? Date dependent, i’m sure we could fill 20 spots. This would lower everyone’s cost and still have lots of space on the track.

Thoughts?

This isn’t racing, it’s “open track”.

It will be open to solo driver’s only because none of us know the track.

Re. filling 20 spots. So far, not a single SOB has stepped forward and said “Scott, I’m in. Go find us a day”. So I’m not exactly experiencing a rush of interest by a bunch of he-man types ready to commit. So come on guys, reach down your shorts, make an adjustment and exclaim “I’m in goddamnit”.

Bradford Course

Ranger wrote:

[quote]This isn’t racing, it’s “open track”.

It will be open to solo driver’s only because none of us know the track.

Re. filling 20 spots. So far, not a single SOB has stepped forward and said “Scott, I’m in. Go find us a day”. So I’m not exactly experiencing a rush of interest by a bunch of he-man types ready to commit. So come on guys, reach down your shorts, make an adjustment and exclaim “I’m in goddamnit”.[/quote]

I have a family road trip june 24 to july 1, and another trip july 31st to aug 5 …
I’ve just adjusted a few times and I’m ready to exclaim that i’m in … !!

http://gorally.com/erssite/html/media.html

If there is a day step up. I should be in.

The problem with a track like that is what Hayden mentioned. In terms of racing, it will be tight… in terms of testing it might be good.

I do think that the price will go up, with insurance, ambulance, corner-workers…

It might be easier to have a bigger club organize an event though…

bavarian3 wrote:

[quote]If there is a day step up. I should be in.

The problem with a track like that is what Hayden mentioned. In terms of racing, it will be tight… in terms of testing it might be good.

I do think that the price will go up, with insurance, ambulance, corner-workers…

It might be easier to have a bigger club organize an event though…[/quote]

I sent an email to a recommended insurance outfit today asking them about supporting the first annual “Thank You Ranger Gress For Getting Us A Track Day” event. So that issue is getting worked.

The truth re. pricing at this point is that the remaining unknowns is how many workers are required for how many cars.

If the insurance issue seems to be reasonable, I’ll get us some prospective dates.

I’m being counseled to form an LLC in order to reduce my exposure to liability if I set this up. PITA.