My new SE30 prep progress

[quote=“natblack” post=58846]Mark and Scott in the same thread?
What is this - a meeting of Dick Suckers Anonymous?[/quote]I’ve never met you, but you just became one of my favorites. ROTFLMAO.

The only place you own me is in your wet dreams. :laugh:

Looking pretty much the same as your results. Neither one of our cars made it out of the January HMS event alive and we haven’t raced head to head since…

Wow. We all really need a race and soon. Everyone’s getting twitchy :wink: and we’ve totally hijacked Shawn’s thread.

We aim to please :wink:

You going to make it down to Sebring in October? You know you want to.

Yeah! You all should be ashamed of yourselves hijacking my thread! But if you buy me beer, I’ll forgive you :stuck_out_tongue:

Negative, not coming. Er, I mean I can’t attend. I would love to. It’s high time I met your sister and Angie keeps promising to hook me up with her friends. But unlike the government I can’t keep deficit spending. I already pulled out of Nationals. I’ll see you at Barber for Oktoberfest tho.

Negative, not coming.
I already pulled out…[/quote]

You almost make it too easy :stuck_out_tongue:

Good deal - it’s been too long!

Yes, unlike our government, I guess we can’t keep raising out debt ceiling at will…

Yeah! You all should be ashamed of yourselves hijacking my thread! But if you buy me beer, I’ll forgive you :P[/quote]

There’s never a lack of beer with this crew :silly:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program:

Some update pics on the progress. New engine is being torn down for the rebuild. The block looks great, so no changes there. Head was sent over for a freshening - new seals, valve job etc. The car is in the body shop (located at the same place) getting done in parallel to the engine getting rebuilt. Engine swap and new pant job should be done by the end of next week. Which gives me 1 week to get everything else ready for the labor day weekend event! :S Flush brake fluid, alignment, New seat (fabricate new mounts), harness, fix brake ducts, tune, etc, etc.

Engine shots:

Pictures of the car in the booth getting the body cleaned up:

The purple is almost gone!!! (Something far more obnoxious is coming though! :whistle: )

Given the time line, the cage mods and new graphics will have to wait until after the Labor Day event…

Looks good. Any chance you will be allowed to race at Sebring in October?

I will be there and it will be close /iffy on whether I get to race at Sebring or the next event. I will have to see how it goes at PBIR early Sept. Racing or DE, I’ll be at Sebring.

Still have a lot left on the car to do as well…

Daggum Shawn,

Trying to make the rest of us look bad? Or just trying to catch up to the rest of us relative to how much we have invested? :silly:

Looking forward to seeing you in two weeks.

Don

LOL, thanks Don. Trying to get the car where I’d like it so I can have a few events to get it sorted before the end of the year. I’d going to make as many NASA events as I can (maybe a few Chin / Hooked on Driving events too) this year to get the seat time in this car. Want to make sure I know how to drive a car with the engine in the front :lol:

I also do a lot of the work myself, building a car is half the fun for me. I’m not that familiar with the M20 engines so this first rebuild, I’m having the shop do. However, I’m there watching and seeing what makes these things tick. I’ve also got a great shop I’m working with - Redline Performance/BMW in Ft. Lauderdale. The guys there have been great and since it’s a full shop and body shop, the engine rebuild and body work are all getting done at the same time/place. I think Rennie (the owner) has been building racing BMW’s longer than I’ve been driving.

My overall plan is to have the car sorted and running good before Jan when next year’s season starts.

[quote=“natblack” post=58846]Mark and Scott in the same thread?
What is this - a meeting of Dick Suckers Anonymous?[/quote]
Hey Natalie, why hasn’t your wife chimed in on this thread yet?

Mark

A few more updates…it’s coming together nice, slow, but nice. Paint shop is close to having the car finished and engine almost ready to go back in the car. I’m really happy with how the paint is coming out so far. There will be no need for headlamps to see where this one is at! :woohoo:

(Yes, that’s a Mopar green on that BMW! :evil: )

Engine honed, new rings, pistons in:

Wow,

Are you going to make it for this weekend?

Don

I sure hope so! I’ll be there one way or another…hopefully with this car!

That car is awfully purty. I sure hope I don’t have to put a racing stripe down the side… Stop worrying about paint and start figuring out how you are going to drive that beast to the front.

That paintjob looks awesome. I really really like the wheel arches/rocker panel treatment. Where’d you get the idea? Good luck with the rest of the build.

Thanks Scott. The engine rebuild and swap is taking longer than the paint and longer than expected. With a fresh motor and tune, should be able to stay out of your way back there in the rear :lol:

Thanks! I’m super happy with how the car is coming out, just taking longer than expected/hoped. As far as the paint idea, that was shamelessly stolen from Walsh and Lako in the SE Region! I just improved upon the idea and added faster colors :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, after long last, I have an update! New engine is in and logging some miles close to the house to break it in. All new fluids in the brakes/clutch, tranny and diff. Will change the engine after a few more miles. New clutch and pressure plate as well. Body work is done and the car is back together. Car looks amazing after the new paint :woohoo: :

Now for some more fun before heading to Sebring this weekend: New seats, harnesses, fire suppression, install Traqmate and ChaseCam, new pedals, new steering wheel and get it over to the graphics shop to get the numbers and decals applied. :blink: