My new SE30 prep progress

For those not following along at home, I purchased Travis’ #800 SE30 and brought it back to FL about a week, with lots of help from my friend Mark McKay. Travis was great to work with and hope to keep in touch with him.

We loaded the car up with all sorts of spares and misc. parts. Brought 3 extra engines (two known ‘good’ and one from a Craigslist ad), a tranny and 2 heads back with us - oh, and boxes of stuff I haven’t even identified yet. :S 12 1/2 hrs later, I made it back to S FL.

Today I got the car emptied out and got all the decals off. This week it’s going over to a local BMW shop to have them work with me to swap in one of the other ‘good’ engines. Since this is my first swap in a E30, I figured I’d let the shop lead and learn from them. It gets dropped off Tuesday with the engine. They’re going to check the bottom end out and do a leak down test on it to test it. If everything’s good, it goes in with a new clutch and pressure plate.

Once we get the engine in and running, we’ll test it and throw it on the dyno to see where it’s at. We hope to have it done by Friday. Also want the dyno sheet for the TT classification.

After the engine’s in, it’s going over to a local cage builder to have the side bars modified. Travis had X braces on the sides, but I’m a big fan of NASCAR style bars for safety. I’m cutting out the side bars tomorrow before it goes to the engine shop so that once the engine is done, it can go straight over to the fab shop (only a couple of miles away) and get the new bars in. (Sorry Travis, the doors are getting gutted…). Cutting out the bars now and cleaning up the welds will make it a little cheaper/easier for the cage builder.

I ordered a new seat and fire suppression system which should arrive within the week, so once the bars are done, I can fit in the new seat and install the suppression system.

After that, it gets some paint and new decals. Still deciding on color options, but sticking with the base black car. If all goes according to plan, it’ll be ready for the track in 2-3 weeks! I can’t wait. Should be able to run it at the Sept event at PBIR.

Keep everyone posted as I get through the list above :woohoo:

Pics or it didn’t happen.

[quote=“TrackRat” post=58775]Still deciding on color options, but sticking with the base black car.[/quote]You made that decision – in Florida, in July? You’ll fit in just fine here. :woohoo:

I’ll grab some pics tonight while I’m performing surgery on the side bars.

Sure, sure, it’ll be hot, but that’s what icy cold adult beverages are for - cooling off afterwards :lol:

But in all honesty, the decision has more to do with performance. Lots of people think their color is fast, or that color is faster. Applying some simple science to this theory, black absorbs the sun’s energy the best, therefore has more energy overall, ergo, black is the fastest color. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“TrackRat” post=58781][Sure, sure, it’ll be hot, but that’s what icy cold adult beverages are for - cooling off afterwards :lol:

But in all honesty, the decision has more to do with performance. Lots of people think their color is fast, or that color is faster. Applying some simple science to this theory, black absorbs the sun’s energy the best, therefore has more energy overall, ergo, black is the fastest color. :P[/quote]

A solar E30. Maybe you can get some “Green Challenge” points!

Good luck and we’ll see you at PBIR.

Don

Oh, it’s happening!

One naked former #800 SE30:

New set of shaved RA1’s:

Cleaned out inside for some cage mods:

Spare engine loaded, ready to go:

Car and engine at the shop:

Doing everything I can to make sure she’s running at PBIR! B)

A few fast facts:

1. Mark McKay is not heterosexual. At an early age I caught him peeping peckers in the shower.
  2. Travis Wilson is just plain gay.
  3. Your close association with them makes you questionable.

Did you get a race license? If so, I might have to bring my beast out and get the blacks involved, too.

[quote=“BigKeyserSoze” post=58825]A few fast facts:

1. Mark McKay is not heterosexual. At an early age I caught him peeping peckers in the shower.
  2. Travis Wilson is just plain gay.
  3. Your close association with them makes you questionable.

Did you get a race license? If so, I might have to bring my beast out and get the blacks involved, too.[/quote]

Scott you owe me a bagel, coffee and a keyboard. I’ll take beer.
Damn you’re good! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[quote=“BigKeyserSoze” post=58825]A few fast facts:

2. I’m just plain gay.
  3. Your close association with this group makes you questionable.

Did you get a race license? If so, I might have to bring my beast out and get the blacks involved, too.[/quote]

Seems like a family trait there Scott…Looks like Darwin is kicking you guys out of the gene pool :lol:

Looks like I might just fit in around here!

No race license yet, should have it in 2 events or so. Going to be running DE/TT next two events just to get used to the car and make sure it’s right before I start winning, er, entering races here in FL. Natalie got the heads up on the new car and trying to get her to chime in here.

Also trying to talk 2 others into going SE30 - trying to get a bigger field of cars here!

…said the guy who pulls out his tiny little schween every time there’s a bunch of guys in the hotel room.

Mark

If Shawn, Scott, and Natalie are running at Sebring, then I will probably still go down for that event in October. Did Don get his car back in Florida from his “life” partner? We could get 5 racers.

Shawn:

Winning races? Really? Natalie used to win races before I got a SE30, too, but all that came to a close. We will prepare the 4th place trophy for you.

I won’t be at PBIR, I’ll be winning a championship in Ohio just after that, but will be in Sebring for sure.

I know your mechanic, told me some horror stories of you two, a hotel room, a toilet paper tube and some lotion …might want to put your name on that fourth place trophy :whistle:

Mark and Scott in the same thread?
What is this - a meeting of Dick Suckers Anonymous?

[quote=“BigKeyserSoze” post=58834]Shawn:

Winning races? Really? Natalie used to win races before I got a SE30, too, but all that came to a close. We will prepare the 4th place trophy for you.
[/quote]

Yeah, I did just fine even after you acquired your e30.

B)

Word is that Don will be getting the car back from his “partner” at BMW CCA Oktoberfest…

Too late for Sebring then.

[quote=“TrackRat” post=58829]

Also trying to talk 2 others into going SE30 - trying to get a bigger field of cars here![/quote]

Keep talking! There are three other builds-in-progress that I know of - let’s add some more :woohoo:

The closest guy (Richard) is missing only kill switch/fire system/race license.

Natalie, I own you. Just fess up. You get your cute little trophy after I put a car together midyear. Hows them results since then?

Wow. We’ve got Don, Mark and Scott in a thread. Then a married chick comes and starts talking about dick suckers anonymous. This thread is comedy gold.