MUST NEED LIST: to stay running strong

i want to know what parts exactly should i replace on my e30 to keep it running cool, reliable, and fast.
Im a college student and running on a tight budget and i will be driving the car to the race track. i heard many different people tell me i need to switch out engine mounts/ install a race radiator and remove the mechanical fan from the engine/ and so much more. I would like to know what exactly are the things i should really look at replacing/upgrading on my car to keep it running reliable and safe enough for me to race all weekend and drive home at the end of the day.

my A/C doesnt work so i was planning on removing the compressor.
i did a compression check and the range was from 145-155(is this good for racing conditions?)

RSchwyn wrote:

[quote]my A/C doesnt work so i was planning on removing the compressor.
i did a compression check and the range was from 145-155(is this good for racing conditions?)[/quote]

Your compression sounds fine but if each cylinder only got tested once or twice, I’d do it a couple more times. Hook your battery to a charger and do the test enough times such that you get repeatable results 3X on each cylinder.

Try to make the test as consistant as you can. Run the starter the same amount each time, and gently torque the tester into the spark plug holes the same amount, each time.

Reliability is all about maintenance items. Belts, fluids, hoses, etc. The next tier up is bushings, bearings and suspension bits such as tie rods and control arms. It never really ends.

RSchwyn wrote:

If you are starting from scratch, I’d recommend the tune-up/spark & fuel delivery stuff (plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor, coil) and sensors before I would worry about radiators and motor mounts.

I have a race radiator, but I know a lot of southeast guys run the stock radiator with evidently no problems. Motor mounts will help eliminate missed shifts (e.g. finding 3rd can be tricky in a 2-3 shift coming out of turn 7 at Road Atlanta where the engine is leaned over) but they are not a priority IMO unless you are ready to do all the drivetrain bushings.

If you make friends, you won’t need a big spares package. Spend the money on a camera and Traqmate.

Steve D.

PS - Don’t drive a caged car on the street without a helmet. If you must, at least get one of those WWII-looking motorcycle helmets that the Harley riders in Florida are too cool to wear.

I will second what Steve just said about driving a caged car on the street. I usually drive mine to and from the track due to a current lack of a tow vehicle. I have a trailer and nothing to pull it with. Don’t ask. But I have tatooed my head many time on the cage bars on both my spec e30 and my spec miata. It hurts and it a pain in the a$$. Since I like you am on a serious budget and drive mine to and from I would follow the advice of making sure the vehicle is up to par on general miantenance items before I would worry about “upgrading” things. Also, look for used parts or spares from other people and ask a ton of questions. These guys have a TON on knowledge and are always willing to help out. Remember the best performance mod you can do to your car is to tighten the nut behind the wheel. Allen

Most SE guys have a robust spares package, and most of us will either just give it to you on promise of replacement, or charge whatever our cost is/was.

The only thing I’d disagree with Steve on is - look at the motor mounts. On an early E30 car if the motor is moving around the mechanical fan can chew into the lower radiator hose and that is a bad deal.

You can get uprated (I think 530? mounts) from BW for relatively cheap. Not as stiff as the delrin race jobs but a good medium step if you’re strapped for $$$.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]Motor mounts will help eliminate missed shifts (e.g. finding 3rd can be tricky in a 2-3 shift coming out of turn 7 at Road Atlanta where the engine is leaned over) but they are not a priority IMO unless you are ready to do all the drivetrain bushings.
[/quote]

2nd gear at RA turn 7? What?

IndyJim wrote:

Bimmerworld lists them as E30 325 Upgraded Engine Mounts. IIRC, they are 6 series mounts. There is a bolt and a tab on each side. I believe you have to hack off one of the alignment tabs and they go right in.

I didn’t think about the fan/hose interference. Sounds like a good $50.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]Steve D wrote:

[quote]Motor mounts will help eliminate missed shifts (e.g. finding 3rd can be tricky in a 2-3 shift coming out of turn 7 at Road Atlanta where the engine is leaned over) but they are not a priority IMO unless you are ready to do all the drivetrain bushings.
[/quote]

2nd gear at RA turn 7? What?[/quote]

+1

87isMan wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]Steve D wrote:

[/quote]

+1[/quote]

+2

Regarding cooling, I think you would be smart to replace the major parts (including radiator), but you don’t need the fancy race stuff. I’ve got OE radiator, water pump, and thermostat and have never had a problem (and I have NO fans). Again, replace them… but no need to spend the extra dough.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]Steve D wrote:

[/quote]

oh, you haven’t seen Steve’s custom gear ratio? He has a full set of gears for every track.

csrow wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]Steve D wrote:

[/quote]

oh, you haven’t seen Steve’s custom gear ratio? He has a full set of gears for every track.[/quote]
My thought precisely.

I remeber meeting Steve for the first time when we were doing a DE at Little Talladega. I looked in his trailer and saw at least 5 trans. just sitting there. Guess that explains a few things. LOL

Ranger wrote:

I appreciate the votes of confidence, but yes. There are occasions where T7 is a 2nd gear corner. Like when Robinson takes the way defensive inside line coming out of 6 and slows us down to the high 40s. Hypothetically speaking. :wink:

In all seriousness, there are times - first laps, out-of-class cars, etc. - when traffic bogs things down to the point where it is a 2nd gear turn. It is precisely then when you are trying to get a good jump off the corner. Grab 2nd, shift to 3rd while tracking out and catch 5th by mistake. More of a problem in a Miata, but still applicable to a mushy-mount E30.

Steve D.

PS - I’ll let you in on another secret. Turn 6 is not a 3rd gear turn. :ohmy:

PPS - If any of these barbs are serious, you guys know about my open hood policy. Come on by and have a look at anything you want (car, data, video). Open book!

theironman9154 wrote:

If I recall, that was when Ryan transported his Integra and my E30 in the OPM trailer, which has the overhang loaded with Miata replacement trannies for their fleet of rental cars. But whatever, it makes for a good story.

Steve D.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

In all seriousness, there are times - first laps, out-of-class cars, etc. - when traffic bogs things down to the point where it is a 2nd gear turn. It is precisely then when you are trying to get a good jump off the corner. Grab 2nd, shift to 3rd while tracking out and catch 5th by mistake. More of a problem in a Miata, but still applicable to a mushy-mount E30.

PS - I’ll let you in on another secret. Turn 6 is not a 3rd gear turn. :ohmy:
[/quote]

In order to stay OT:
The turn I blow is RA turn 5. Instead of downshifting 4>3, I occasionally go 4>5. Is irksome.

Re. turn 6 & 7. I’ve not yet figured out where best to get the downshift in. Because of the flexibility that comes with mastery of the art, I find that I can get the downshift in at either turn with equally miserable results.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]In order to stay OT:
The turn I blow is RA turn 5. Instead of downshifting 4>3, I occasionally go 4>5. Is irksome.[/quote]

My method: Brake lighter and earlier. Nobody can dive bomb you there if you brake 5 yards sooner and getting thru cleaner keeps them from beting close enough in 6. Downshift before the gators on track right heading into 5. YMMV.

If you are going fast enough, downshifting to 3rd entering 6 unsettles the car too much IMO.

Steve D.

Easy Steve. I don’t know who he is or if there was an Integra. I just remeber you and a guy in a Spec Miata were there. Yes, it was the style of triler you descibed. Plus I really don’t think any of us think of you as a “cheater”. You seam to be to good of a guy for that.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]In order to stay OT:
The turn I blow is RA turn 5. Instead of downshifting 4>3, I occasionally go 4>5. Is irksome.[/quote]

My method: Brake lighter and earlier. Nobody can dive bomb you there if you brake 5 yards sooner and getting thru cleaner keeps them from beting close enough in 6. Downshift before the gators on track right heading into 5. YMMV.

If you are going fast enough, downshifting to 3rd entering 6 unsettles the car too much IMO.

Steve D.[/quote]

I disagree, by braking hard and straight while down shifting to third into Six will let you get on gas way before apex of the corner and all the way to the braking zone of 7 which is a third gear corner, and can be pretty busy so already being in gear doesn’t hurt.

P.S. Scott I also hate turn 5!! is it a 3rd or 4th gear corner? we might never know!!

87isMan wrote:

If you are full gas before the apex in 6 (or 1, 3, 5 or 10a) you overslowed the car, IMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve D.

PS - If you carry more speed through 6 than your competitor who downshifts to 3rd, they aren’t on your bumper at the braking zone and it doesn’t seem quite so busy. But I’m OK if you want to catch 3rd going into 6.