Looking for opinions on car purchase options.

Alright, hopefully y’all can contribute some insight to may particualr situation and help me come to a decision. I just participated in my first HPDE, and I’m now clearly beyond hooked. I want to sell my current car and get into a BMW as I progress through the HPDE levels.

My question is this, does it make sense to buy an E30 with the thought of SLOWLY adding parts as I progress through HPDE with the thought of eventually turning it into a race car, or would it be better to simply get a street car, do nothing to it, and plan on selling it later to purchase a prepped or nearly prepped car. Basically should I plan on just reselling whatever car I’m doing HPDEs in, or should I plan on a long and slow build up during which time I’ll get the benefit of learning about the car?

I’ve read all about how buying a race car is cheaper than building one, but I need a car that I can do HPDEs in as well as drive daily to some degree. I guess the same question above could apply to an E36 as well since there’s the new class forming.

I figured I want to get in a BMW either way as there’s a good support network out there for them, plus I like them. So I’m not really looking to get a Honda or something for HPDE, though if you think that’s the way to go, please let me know. Thanks!

Any thoughts, opinions, rants, etc. are appreciated.

GT

It’s very hard to buy a street car, take it to the track routinely, yet do nothing to it. The temptation to throw money at it so you can win the DE’s is overwhelming.

If you don’t need the back seats in your daily driver, then your track car can do ok. But if you need to use the back seats for kids or something, then it’s hard. So you have to decide whether or not you are absolutely committed to using your track car as a daily driver.

Related issue. A big mistake that many of us make is that we get into DE’s in a nice daily driver and pretty soon we end up spending a fortune on that nice DD. That’s the mistake to avoid.

The idea of getting a decent E30 and slowly building it into a SpecE30 is fine if you like to do serious work yourself. Or you like to pay others to do serious work. I’m sure you will find the former very rewarding, although I’d be intimidated by it. As for the latter, well, the guys at your local shop have children to put thru college too.

There are certainly E30’s out there that have been somewhat prepped, but have no cage yet.

Bottom line last. My recommendation is that you lose this tone of moderation. Recognize early that you are hopelessly addicted and don’t waste time. Move all other worldly pursuits to the backburner. Buy a fully prepped SpecE30 now, do 6-8 track days per month all year, and have the greatest time of your life. Then next Feb go to comp school and start having even more fun.

If you have 10K-15K for a SPEC E30 plus cost for a trailer and a tow vehicle, then by all means, follow Rangers advice.

Otherwise, just find a nice 4 door E30, get a full check up, and then take it to the track. Spend the money on the DE event costs.

Just drive the heck out that poor car. There is much fun to be had in pushing a car with a stock suspension and with street tires.

The car and your skill will tell you what needs to be upgraded as you improve your driving skill. When you do, you will appreciate the change and know what has changed. It’s a good way to learn about setting up a car.

Oh, and don’t forget to have fun.

Here’s what I would do. Buy the SE30 shocks and springs and put them on the car and keep the stock stuff on a shelf. It is plenty streetable. When you’re ready, buy a dedicated set of track wheels/tires, a set of track pads, and maybe a seat with harnesses that lock into the rear seat belts or harness bar. In about 90 minutes you can swap on the pads and seat at home, drive it to the track with the track tires in the trunk/back seat (get a 4-door) and swap them on at the track. When you’re ready to move to a track car swap the stock bits back on to the car and sell it as a street car. You’ve been able to build up as your skills and cash allow, have some of the mandated parts and it’s easy swap without investing a bunch of money to watch it drive away and start over. In the meantime you’ve been getting accustomed to how an SE30 handles on the track and you can make a smoother transition to a track car.

9d3 wrote:

Any thoughts on doing this with an E36? The pluses would be giving me a wider range of cars to choose from. Negatives, maybe extra cost, less probability of resale?

I realize that this is an E30 forum, so most of you are probably biased towards that platform, but I was just throwing it out there.

E30 or E36, it really doesn’t matter. Keep the car stock for the first 6-8 weekends and concentrate on improving the driver. When the driver becomes equal to the car, then evaluate where you want to go. The important thing isn’t the car, it is seat time.

with an e36, you’ll more than likely end up spending more $$, so it depends on your preference. You will have a hoot in an e30.
bruce

I think it depends on how much cash you have to spend. $10K and up…buy a prepped car. Most of them can be licensed and you can drive it to the track if you have to.

$5000 and below, buy the lowest mileage E30 you can find. Like Chi (Mr Junky) says drive the crap out of it every chance you get. Any improvement you can afford to make, make sure it is Spec E30 legal. Eventually you’ll get to race ready status. Prepare to spend twice what you think it will cost.

Don

I think you should throw caution to the wind. Go with your gut, find a nice race prepped car and pay top dollar for it. Do you need my email address?

i agree with ranger to some extent although it may be hard for you to see the inevitability of your situation right now. i too purchased an e30 with the idea of dual purpose track/winter driver duties while my e39 540 would hibernate over the winter. I’d soon thrown enough suspension and stiff poly bushings at it that it became an uncomfortable daily driver. next was the rollbar, harnesses and race seats. that effectively ended it’s DD career. the next phase is full cage so it can run in spec e30. I now see my mistake, but alas it is too late :slight_smile: Btw, my e39 is dding this winter :frowning:

Gregory,good advice from those above. Where do you live?

Join NASA in that area. Find an E30 mentor and follow their lead. Their experience and list of contact names will save you untold dollars and time.

Regards, Robert Patton

Patton wrote:

[quote]Gregory,good advice from those above. Where do you live?

Join NASA in that area. Find an E30 mentor and follow their lead. Their experience and list of contact names will save you untold dollars and time.

Regards, Robert Patton[/quote]

Robert,

I live in Charlotte. I actually was at the SE Event at CMP earlier this month. I have joined NASA, and was cleared by Mr. Aaron Rankin, my instructor, for HPDE 2, if only at CMP.

I saw the damage you suffered in the Panther, and I hope you can get that back on the track for RA here in a couple weeks. I’ll be down there working.

All,

Thanks for the advice. It looks liek I at least ahd the major issues identified, now I’ve just got to sack up and make a decision. Of course I’ve got to unload the current daily driver. Anyone out there looking for a MAZDASPEED 3? It’s a great grocery getter.

Anyway, I think I’m leaning towards just getting something to learn in, and then selling to purchase a full on race car. It will alow me to get out fomr under the stupid car payment on the Mazda and put some money away for both HPDEs and a future race car purchase.

Thanks to all, and please if there are other thoughts out there add them to the thread. A person can never have too much information before making a decision.

GT

Well, Mr. Junky is always for sale. Great track rat and I am hardcore enough to use it as DD.

Funnest car out there.

csrow wrote:

[quote]Well, Mr. Junky is always for sale. Great track rat and I am hardcore enough to use it as DD.

Funnest car out there.[/quote]
Chi, you could almost call it “two for the price of one”, right? :wink:
(Recalling the Timmy origins of it’s birth…)

Gregory, hitch-up to the Pantas bandwagon(Jim and Julie are the best folks out there), find a beater e30, install the spec suspension bits and pieces and track it like Mr. Junky does. My daughter, Laura, drove a HPDE/e30/spec suspension car on the street without too much fanfare for 1.5 years.

good luck, Robert Patton

Patton wrote:

[quote]Gregory, hitch-up to the Pantas bandwagon(Jim and Julie are the best folks out there), find a beater e30, install the spec suspension bits and pieces and track it like Mr. Junky does. My daughter, Laura, drove a HPDE/e30/spec suspension car on the street without too much fanfare for 1.5 years.

good luck, Robert Patton[/quote]

Will do. I’ve spoken to Julie a couple times, but haven’t yet had the opportunity to meet Jim face to face. I’m sure I’ll get the chance.

I also had the pleasure of meeting your daughter when she signed my solo sticker and put it on my windshield for the final two sessions on Sunday.

Now all I’ve got to do is be patient and wait for the rigth E30 to come along. I’d like to have one by the SE event at Barber at the end of May. Any quick thoughts on what price range is reasonable for car to be used for the above purposes?

Offer Jim $250 and tell him to find you one at the auction.
The price cn be as low as free for a non-running car up to $8000 for a sorted-out track car.

You will have to learn how to work on the car or you’ll need a big checkbook.

In Charlotte, Jim Pantas is the e30 guy. Also see the thread about Charlotte shops and the folks at BRE Motorsports.

Good luck in your search for a car.You need a support network.

Regards, Robert Patton

Thanks for the tip as to Jim. I’ll have to get up with him here in the next couple months.

I do have a modicum of mechanical skills after rebuilding an old Beetle engine, plus I’ve got a friend who’s a mechanic professionally.

Thanks for the luck, hopefully I’ll be able to build a support network from the folks in the SE and maybe even a little on here.

Thanks again to everyone for all their input.

Golin wrote:

Depending on mileage, I’d trade my Spec Miata for it. Doesn’t really help you get out from under the payments, though. Those 'speed3s are a hoot to drive!

Welcome to the insanity. Stop by the OPM trailer in March and I’ll tell you how I went from the “daily driver with a set of harnesses and sticky tires” to “too many race cars, trucks, trailers, rolling chassis, etc. to even mention around my RACING buddies” in a short 4 years.

Track time? Pffft. HERE is the practice you need: Walk into the back yard with a stack of 10 crisp $100 bills. Make lots of noise. Burn said $100 bills. Post a video of it on YouTube. Walk back in the house dead ass tired. Post links to said clip on four interwebs forums. Check the calendar (but not the bank account) and schedule the next ‘event’.

I’ve had drug habits that were cheaper than this $hit.

Welcome, brother.

Steve D.

Open ocean sailboat racing has been described as like standing in an ice cold shower and burning 100 dollar bills. Racing is like standing in a a hot saunna and burning 100 dollar bills…

As you’ve found, or are about to find out, this sport is as addictive as cocaine. But unfortunately it is slightly more expensive!

Oh yeah, everybody here is a “pusher”…