Looking for opinions on car purchase options.

Steve D wrote:

[quote] Those 'speed3s are a hoot to drive!

Steve D.[/quote]

Indeed they are. It was a blast at CMP, that’s for sure.

And Steve, I have you to thank for turning me towards Spec E30. I read your comparo between SM and SE30, which was very well written, and it turned me down this path.

I actually told Aaron Rankin last week after he took me out in his car that he was my pusher.

I told my wife before the last HPDE that I felt like I was 16 again going for my permit. It was awesome.

Man, this sounds all too familiar!!!

Let me tell you a story about a young kid that believed a co-worker and came out for a BMWCCA track weekend.

Nah, let me just cut to the end. I’ve yet to be at the track this year and yet spent more time on my car then I thought possible. I bought a truck, trailer, thousands of dollars of safety equipment, god only knows how much time at different shops. Oh, and almost forgot - a race car.

And yet, with a little bit of luck I should finally be participating in my first race this weekend and I couldn’t be more excited!!!

What everybody says here is right. Even if you buy a ready car still plan on bunch of extra money for your personal gear, safety equipment. Plus don’t forget spares, which add up and you don’t want to miss a whole weekend because of a belt or brake pads.

If I did it all over again I probably wouldn’t do HPDE events in a race car, at least you don’t shell out all the money for trailer and truck, you’d still keep some reasonable cost control. I started out with an E46 330, which was fun, but then actually traded it in for an E36 M3, which I think is a very potent car right out of the box. The other nice thing is the amount of used parts: wheel/tire combos, race pads, suspension, etc available for them, which will save you a ton of money. Plus they retain their value pretty well if you sell it later to get a dedicated race car.

But, if you’re mechanic and can do most of your own work then start with an E30 and build it over time.

Just my .07 cents.

Alex.