Long shocks or short springs

I started putting everything together and it seems my springs are about 1" off the spring perches in the front (when the car is in the air).

I thought I ordered the part numbers listed in the rules. Anyone else seen this? The car is a 1989 (9/88) 325is, with struts off a 1987 (12/86) 325is. The strut inserts went in ok (getting the old ones out was a different matter).

Also, I went to put on the ground control camber plates and they were not marked left or right, but were obviously different. I made an educated guess as to which side each went on. Anyone know for sure?

Race springs are a fair amount shorter then OEM springs. Once your car is sitting on the ground, the car will sit on the springs. The fact that your springs seem too short will only be an issue if you spend time airborne.

Don’t spend time airborne

Ranger wrote:

[quote]Race springs are a fair amount shorter then OEM springs. Once your car is sitting on the ground, the car will sit on the springs. The fact that your springs seem too short will only be an issue if you spend time airborne.

Don’t spend time airborne[/quote]
Scott,

My springs, which have the correct part number required by our rules, required a spring compressor to install. Are there variances in the length of springs amongst the same part number? Mine are also black where Steven’s are red…

Steven,

Nice creaper; I like the flames!!! You should incorporate flames into your paint scheme!

FishMan wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]Race springs are a fair amount shorter then OEM springs. Once your car is sitting on the ground, the car will sit on the springs. The fact that your springs seem too short will only be an issue if you spend time airborne.

Scott,

My springs, which have the correct part number required by our rules, required a spring compressor to install. Are there variances in the length of springs amongst the same part number? Mine are also black where Steven’s are red…[/quote]

I’ve only installed rear springs. A spring compressor was required to install them, but when you lift the car the springs hang loose and look like they might fall out any second. An inch of play wouldn’t worry me. IIRC correctly, when I lift the front of my car I can get my fingers up on top of he spring in between it and the inside-top of the shock tower.

My springs are red. I’d be surprised if there were variences in length.

FishMan wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

Scott,

My springs, which have the correct part number required by our rules, required a spring compressor to install. Are there variances in the length of springs amongst the same part number? Mine are also black where Steven’s are red…[/quote]

As far as I know the H&R race springs are red. The H&R sport springs sold for the E30 are black. I don’t believe a spring compressor is necessary when installing race springs in the front, but I haven’t done it in a long time.

The black springs are sport springs, I doubt there is much difference at all, we have run the black one’s before…technically they are not legal…H&R’s part #'s have changed a few times, I actually have had 3 different front springs that were “spec e30” springs…

Al

H&R Sport springs have rates of 180 front and 380 rear. Race spring rates are 315 front and 570 rear. So there’s a good bit of difference. Race springs are shorter and will not require a spring compressor to install, front or rear, and the front springs will be off the upper perch when the front is off the ground.

FARTBREF wrote:

[quote]The black springs are sport springs, I doubt there is much difference at all, we have run the black one’s before…technically they are not legal…H&R’s part #'s have changed a few times, I actually have had 3 different front springs that were “spec e30” springs…

Al[/quote]

Alright, now I’m really confused. My springs, the black ones with part number 50404-88 labeled right on them, are not the same as the red springs with the same part number? How can this be? I really don’t want to buy another set and change them again…

As Al stated the parts numbers have changed over the years. I would recommend you call H&R to verify which springs you have before you purchase new springs.

87isMan wrote:

If they’ve been switching part numbers around, I go one better and tell them they need to exchange the springs for the correct one.

And… that’s one hell of an uber bronzit car you got there.

I bought new springs about 4 months ago. I got the red H&Rs and like everyone else said they sit loose when you install the upper strut mount and you have the car in the air. I definitely didn’t use a spring compressor for the front or the rear although the rear took some work to get them in there.

scottmc wrote:

Indeed. I picked this car up in Chattanooga last week for $1200 and all it needed were engine mounts and front wheel bearings (plus all the usual SpecE30 stuff). No rust on it either!

The only parts I had to take off my other car (the black one with the frame rust) were the Ate calipers, front wheel bearings, and seats.

I got a call from Turner Motor Sports today and they confirmed that the race springs will be slack when the car is off the ground. They mentioned that even if you put one tire in the air on the track, the sway bar will keep the tension on the spring. Now if both front tires come off the ground, that’s some serious Dukes of Hazard action going on…

Congrats on getting things moving Steven. I can’t see the photos from work, but it sounds like you’re headed in a much better direction than you were with that other car. Let me know if you need any local-ish help getting it together.

I agree with everyone else on the slack springs and no compressor required. I put a few thick zip ties through the drain holes in the bottom spring plate and around the lowest coil to keep them from moving around too much.

Don’t worry about taking it airborne. The NorCal guys regularly go 4 wheels in the air when running Thunderhill clockwise and I don’t think any of them have had any problems.

Matt

I just finished my build and my H&R springs are RED in color and they just slide right in.

Vegas Vogel

the zip ties are the way to go! and your right we don’t have any issues when we take flight at TH unless at liftoff your car is pointed a little bit too much to the right:woohoo: :side: :S

I am confused as how anyone would have black HR race springs? They have been red for many years. And along with the stiffer spring rate on the race springs vs sport, the ride height should be quite different. Sport springs should sit at least an inch higher than race springs, correct? Did HR make race springs in black at anytime?

fyi. i put my h&r RED race springs on a couple weeks ago… unbolt the rear bilsteins to lower the trailing arms. slips right in :slight_smile:

Did you keep your upper and lower spring pads? As I recall those were what made it more difficult to get the springs in the back.

Chuck the pads unless you’re trying to corner weight.