Introduction (1987 325iS in this thread) WO0T!

I figure it’s probably time to introduce myself. I’m Ben Wigg from New Castle, PA. I go to school at Penn State Erie. I first became interested in racing when I was reading an issue of Grassroots Motorsports and they were talking about all the different NASA racing programs and how to get your racing license. At the time I really wanted to buy and build a car but really didn’t have the money at the time.

A few years later, and a whole lot smarter, I decided to suck it up and buy a car to start racing. I had been searching for an R-Package Miata for HPDE’s but then I came across this: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045115

Long story short- I ended up liking the car (it needs some work but it ran good at the time) and paid 5000.00 for it (with a few random parts and an extra set of wheels). I just drove it home Friday night and on the way the fuel pump starting cutting out so I’ll be replacing both fuel pumps and the fuel tank (I’m pretty sure there’s rust in it). If you have any advice or any walkthroughs for replacing a fuel tank it would be much appreciated.

Here are some pictures (you shouldn’t need a Facebook account to look at them but let me know if it’s asking you to login):

The car has a few rust spots that aren’t too bad but need patched up. Anyone have any recommendations on how to do it? I’m really not looking for anything pretty (it’s going to get beat up anyways) but I’d like to get the rust under control. Any advice for tackling the rust on the jack rails underneath the car? They’re kind of rusty but kind of hard to really sand.

I also have a few other questions that I’ll post here in a day or so. I have some experience tinkering with my Integra GSR but a lot of this stuff is pretty new to me although I love learning new things. I haven’t done a single HPDE yet but I know I’ll love it. I’ve been doing autocrosses for 2 years now in my Integra and I love it but I really want to get on track. I’ll be showing up around Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges (when it reopens), BeaveRun, and Pocono (maybe some other tracks) in the spring but until then I’ll be trying to get the car to run.

Look forward to someday racing with you guys.

Welcome to Spec E30!

Good looking car overall. If you can get some better pics of the rust we can probably help you out a bit more with it. Have you taken the carpet out yet?

Make sure to strip off as much of the undercoating as you can around the rust so you know what you are really working with. Its pretty easy with a drill and an abrasive wheel, that can also dress the rust too so you can get a good look at the metal thats left.

You’re also going to want to fix that air box, those holes aren’t factory and they really aren’t helping you any.

-Brian

welcome… nice to see another spec e30 candidate from the NE. car looks good… i saw your post on bf.c re the fuel tank issue. will post there on that. are you planning on being at any hpde’s this year?

You want better pictures of the jack rail things? I’ll see if I can get some more.

Another question with the rust. There are a few small spots on the front bumper of the car. I’d like to just used a dremel and grind down to the metal (I’ll probably grind a circle about the size of a quarter around the spot. But can I just square off the area around that circle and prime and paint over the existing paint? I can’t really figure out how I can mask the area off without spraying over some of the existing paint.

I most likely won’t be at any HPDE’s until next year. I’m still trying to figure out how difficult it’ll be to replace the fuel tank. I only have hand tools at this point (no air compressor) but if it’s possible to do in a weekend with standard tools then I’ll try and tackle it myself.

The carpet will be ripped out in the spring and I’ll eventually fix the air box (it’s not a huge priority right now).

For HPDE I think I’m going to put on a set of Falken Azenis (205/50/15) and just used the brake discs and red box brake pads that are on Ireland Engineering- is that a good choice?

Hand tools and jack stands are all that’s required to change the tank. You will have to remove the exhaust and the drive shaft, so you’ll want the car up on four jack stands and pretty well up in the air. It should be obvious, but drain the tank before you drop it.

MrDomino wrote:

[quote]You want better pictures of the jack rail things? I’ll see if I can get some more.

Another question with the rust. There are a few small spots on the front bumper of the car. I’d like to just used a dremel and grind down to the metal (I’ll probably grind a circle about the size of a quarter around the spot. But can I just square off the area around that circle and prime and paint over the existing paint? I can’t really figure out how I can mask the area off without spraying over some of the existing paint.

[/quote]

Yes, pics from underneath the car with the undercoating removed so we can see the frame rails. (jack rail things) Also, pull the carpet and look for rust from the top side so you/we can get an idea of what you’re dealing with.

What undercoating are you talking about? Is there molding or something that pulls off? Sorry to be a noob.

It might take me a while to pull up the carpet. I’ll be heading back to school in a week and won’t have time to rip out the interior.

You may not have much left but if you do, you’ll see what I’m talking about. Its a rubberized undercoating that you will need to scrape away to get the the metal especially in the rusty areas.

alright- im in the process of moving back to school but ill be tearing into the fuel tank on labor day weekend if I can figure out how to take it out. ill also tear off the rest of that rubber crap and see what’s under it.

what do you guys recommend doing with the fuel tank thing? im probably going to go with the ireland engineering external fuel pump and found this for the fuel tank:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1011676&parttype=6268&a=FRc1011676k17117

Is it worth getting a fuel cell? I know it’ll be more money but in the long run is a fuel cell better?

Take the gas tank out and look in it before you buy something to replace it. The gas tank may be a mess inside, or it might be ok.

I pulled the transfer pump out and stuck a stick down in there and the tip of the stick come out brown (rust colored) and I could feel that the tank wasn’t smooth on the bottom.

I also saw that fuel starvation seems to be an issue. Will replacing the tank and 2 pumps fix this issue?

The fuel starvation issue has had different causes for different people. But if you replace all that, and replace the fuel tank vent lines, you’ll probably be good.

Fuel tank vent lines- do those have something to do with a charcoal cannister?

I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-318i-325E-325i-325ic-325is-M3-FUEL-GAS-TANK-BM1A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem140259397503QQitemZ140259397503#ebayphotohosting

It’s the same one that GRM used on their car and they said it worked out pretty good so I’ll probably get it. Is there an easy way to add a drain plug to it?

Here’s a few more pictures I had my dad take. I can’t grind anything off yet- I’ll be home on Labor Day weekend to replace the gas tank and I can probably take a wire wheel to it and clean it up.

I’m really concerned about the first picture. It looks pretty bad. What do you guys think about it? I can see what you’re talking about the rubber crap on the frame rails. Is this easily fixable?

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1470/cimg0169iy2.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2442/cimg0170zq0.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6746/cimg0171lt8.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3520/cimg0172jx6.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4203/cimg0173ut8.jpg

Sorry for the links and not pictures. I’m still trying to figure out how to post images.

MrDomino wrote:

The vent line I’m talking about goes back by the fuel neck.

Hi, we’re down in Lancaster-ish area.
The photos you posted are the rocker panel pinch welds. They get buggered up by somewhat inept jacking of the car. That’s not really a big deal. Wire wheel it off a bit and paint it, maybe add some seam sealer to keep the water out.

Can they handle being hammered back into place? Will anyone care in Spec E30 if I cut some sections of it out? I’ll leave the jacking points there.

That’s pretty sturdy stuff there, so I’d just whack the beejeesus out of it and make it straight as possible. I wouldn’t probably cut
it out as you may actually ‘open’ the rocker that way. Once you lower the car you won’t really see any of it anyway!