HOMESTEAD - May 31 & June 1

Roll Call!

Anyone planning to make it to the May Homestead event?
:slight_smile:

I’ll definitely be there, not sure if I’ll be driving or not. Finally got the E30 running, just need to see what my financial situation will be like. If my brother decides to come out and share the 2day event with me I’ll probably be out there in HPDE2. If not I’ll be around helping a friend with his AI car. If you guys need any help with anything, be sure to ask.

Is bumper drafting allowed? I think it’s the only way I’ll get my car around the track…

FL CI Steve wrote:

:lol:
What would people say if the chief instructor started bump drafting in the HPDE sessions?! Scandal!

Maybe if you bring all the parts to your car we can put the box in the trunk and take it for a ride… it’ll almost be as good as driving it yourself. :woohoo: NOT!

Made any progress on the car yet? The folks here on the board are a great resource when you finally figure out all the pieces you’re missing and/or need to replace/update. And you can always bug John or myself… John has a spreadsheet that details every piece and part we’ve bought/replaced/upgraded as well as what and where it was purchased. Mr. Organized!

See you in a few weeks!
Natalie

The actual plan is to see if racing and working in the HPDE environment will fit.

I got an “i” engine last week from the same guy I got the project from. It appears to be in worse condition than I thought it was going to be in. Waa Waa Waa… I’ll have to rebuild the whole thing including the head.

I don’t think the car will be ready until the fall.

In the meantime I’m welding in the holes in the floor and adding welds to the cage attachment points.

John Poor’s Spec E30 will be ready for testing at Sebring.

FL CI Steve wrote:

I imagine that might be a bit tricky. I’m sure that all of your newly trained instructors will be model students (er, I mean instructors) and need no supervision :woohoo:

FL CI Steve wrote:

[quote]I got an “i” engine last week from the same guy I got the project from. It appears to be in worse condition than I thought it was going to be in. Waa Waa Waa… I’ll have to rebuild the whole thing including the head.

I don’t think the car will be ready until the fall.
[/quote]

It’ll get done… eventually… hopefully you’ll be lucky enough to only build your car once. :stuck_out_tongue: Trust me, building a car twice is overrated. Especially in a sweltering Florida garage in the middle of summer. However, you’ll be lucky enough to have a fresh engine. There are some folks running some HIGH mileage engines out there

FL CI Steve wrote:

I didn’t realize that he was that far along. Of course I got the impression that he has a pristine cream puff to start with.
I’m pretty sure we’ll be showing up to the next (not Homestead) event as racers, not instructors. Time to take the plunge!

Natalie

hey i’m willing… but i’m torn between this NASA event and the ChinMotorsports @ Sebring jun 14-15…
i guess i have to do both… huh?
sigh…

If you can do both. :slight_smile:

Sebring will be hottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

bavarian3 wrote:

[quote]If you can do both. :slight_smile:

Sebring will be hottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt[/quote]

And I don’t think he means the Paris Hilton type of “hot” :laugh:

Slick92GSR wrote:

[quote]hey i’m willing… but i’m torn between this NASA event and the ChinMotorsports @ Sebring jun 14-15…
sigh…[/quote]

Now if you want really hot… do Homestead, then Chin @ Sebring, then come back a week later and do Sebring again with NASA June 21-22.
At this point i think we’re planning our racing rookie debut for Sebring. :huh: :ohmy: :slight_smile: :laugh: :woohoo:

natblack wrote:

[quote]Slick92GSR wrote:

[quote]hey i’m willing… but i’m torn between this NASA event and the ChinMotorsports @ Sebring jun 14-15…
sigh…[/quote]

Now if you want really hot… do Homestead, then Chin @ Sebring, then come back a week later and do Sebring again with NASA June 21-22.
At this point i think we’re planning our racing rookie debut for Sebring. :huh: :ohmy: :slight_smile: :laugh: :woohoo: [/quote]

that would be really hot … i have a trip with the family to New England on the June 24th … so that would be be too much stress …

update: Registration completed.
I’ll be at Homestead HPDE2 on Sunday June 1

FL CI Steve wrote:

[quote]The actual plan is to see if racing and working in the HPDE environment will fit.

[/quote]

Do you mean racing and instructing at the same event? NASA FL does not allow this. They feel that racers are too busy and distracted to give the student the attention they deserve. There is something to be said for that.

I plan to instruct at Sebring (my car is up north for the summer). It will be nice to fianlly see a few Spec E30s on the grid in FL.

What about Scott Lear?

Don

donstevens wrote:

[quote]FL CI Steve wrote:

[quote]The actual plan is to see if racing and working in the HPDE environment will fit.

[/quote]

Do you mean racing and instructing at the same event? NASA FL does not allow this. They feel that racers are too busy and distracted to give the student the attention they deserve. There is something to be said for that.[/quote]

Steve is actually the Chief Instructor for NASA FL and the guy who sent me homework for a month prior to the Instructor Candidate School he ran at Homestead last month :slight_smile: (I don’t think I did that much homework while I was in college)! The phrase “it’s good to be the king” comes to mind here - I think that rule many only apply to the in-car instructors.

donstevens wrote:

Cool, we’ll see you there then. We haven’t signed up yet… I have an email into Barbara Nix asking how to go about signing up for the race utilizing our team name/status via the website. I’m planning to stay at the trackside hotel… $95 isn’t too bad a night. We paid more than that for a roach motel when we were there for Winterfest in January.

donstevens wrote:

[quote]It will be nice to fianlly see a few Spec E30s on the grid in FL.
[/quote]
Can I get an AMEN to that my brothers and sisters!:silly:

Slick92GSR wrote:

[quote]update: Registration completed.
I’ll be at Homestead HPDE2 on Sunday June 1[/quote]

Cool. Make sure you come and find us then… and don’t forget your Depends:laugh:

natblack wrote:

[quote]Slick92GSR wrote:

[quote]update: Registration completed.
I’ll be at Homestead HPDE2 on Sunday June 1[/quote]

Cool. Make sure you come and find us then… and don’t forget your Depends:laugh:[/quote]

I’ll bring the car over on Saturday afternoon and hopefully i can grab a garage close to you guys …

don’t worry, there will be a case of depends … we’ll work that damn string experiment and any other to the bone …

AHHH!! what a great event … tested out my new Strut bars f&r,car was on fresh Hankoook Z214’s…the car perfomed flawlessly … weather was great: not to hot and no rain --just some gnats later on in the day. Hung out with the John & Nat Black…top notch folks with a great attitude…

more tracks dates please !!!

Fun, fun, fun!
(Even though I swear that people were aiming at me this weekend)! :woohoo:

Hot, hot, hot!

And where the hell did all the bugs come from all of a sudden?

Looking forward to the next event…

You guys looked good out there on Saturday, didn’t get to see you too much as I was pretty busy getting a race car ready most of the day, and then the last hour or so I was helping the Factory Five car that wrecked on his traler, but got to see you guys running a few laps here and there. Everything went well with the car I take it?

Hayden, how did you do on Sunday? I’m hoping to have the 325 on track with Chin in July down at homestead, so hopefully I’ll see you there.