girling carrier

i’m getting a lot of taper on my front brakes (girling) due to slop between the caliper slide pin and the carrier. since the calipers are in good shape i don’t want to replace them, i just want to tighten up the carrier bushing. anyone know if that can be done easily, or where i can purchase remanned carriers only?

you can get new pin and bushing kits from BMW…I did it once then lost track of which struts they were on…

Al

Can you use the brass guide bushings to help eliminate some of the caliper squirm?

Brass bushings are only available for ATE.

My understanding is that Girling calipers are just inherently less rigid than ATE. I think that came from MassiveLee over at e30tech. He sells aftermarket E30 brake kits and is about as knowledgeable about E30 brakes as anyone I’ve come accross.

i delt with the same issue and my solution was a thorough cleaning of the pin and hole in the caliper and fill with some high temp grease, worked great for me. I’ve got good even wear on the pads now!

I was under the impression that the girling calipers were better.

ATE is preferred in general.

as long as the bracket bushing is tight i prefer girlings, they’re certainly easier for pad changes (remove one 13mm bolt and swing up). but if the bushing is sloppy it’s not end user serviceable which is a downer.

Jason - I like the girlings too. We have them on both of our cars with good pad wear. You can get the kit from Pelican

\http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=34-11-1-161-936-M9&catalog_description=Guide%20Bushing%20Repair%20Kit%20for%20Brake%20Caliper%20(Girling%20calipers%20only)%2C%20Front%20(2%20per%20car%2C%20sold%20individually)%2C%20E30%20318i%2Fis%2FiC%2C%20325e%2Fes%2C%20325i%2Fis%2FiC%2FiX

ED

[quote=“edavidson” post=60763]Jason - I like the girlings too. We have them on both of our cars with good pad wear. You can get the kit from Pelican

\http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=34-11-1-161-936-M9&catalog_description=Guide%20Bushing%20Repair%20Kit%20for%20Brake%20Caliper%20(Girling%20calipers%20only)%2C%20Front%20(2%20per%20car%2C%20sold%20individually)%2C%20E30%20318i%2Fis%2FiC%2C%20325e%2Fes%2C%20325i%2Fis%2FiC%2FiX

ED[/quote]

how does that kit help with a worn bracket bushing?

Girlings are easier to change pads. That way when you have uneven pad wear it is quicker to remove and throw away all that unused pad material!

Do the pads wear more on the leading or trailing with girlings.

Caliper and pad twist usually causes wear on the leading edge.

Are ATE calipers hard to find? Seems like I only see Girlings.

I think ATE are more common. My 87 had ATE my 89 Has Girling.

is it easy to switch a car over to ATE from girling?

Yes. It’s just like changing a rotor except that you have to undo the brake line too.

Related…Always torch brake line fasteners. It’s the only way to reliably get them off without chewing them up.

Guys, currently run Girlings on the front with PFC 01s. Over the last 1.5 years of running PFCs and cleaning the guides I have not experienced “as much” un-even pad wear, (used to get a very un-even wear before thoroughly cleaning and lubing guides), still can see a little, but managable as I replace pads when the pad material is equal in thickness to the backing plate. Also currently on an '87 chassis with working ABS my brake feel and f-r bias is excellent.

Yet, with that said, I have always liked ATEs on my M3s. I have not seen the ATE on the front of an E30. Question: is the front ATE Caliper and pad larger than the rears on our cars? Second: Does anyone know what the part number of the PFC 01 pad for the front ATE is? Third, who sells the whole conversion kit?

Thanks,
Shoe

The ATE and Girlings use the same pad. There is no conversion kit needed, just find someone selling the ATE calipers and they bolt up. I bought some from Al and some from eBay and then rebuilt them.

I looked at my iX brakes while my brother was mounting my Blizzaks. It has Girlings also but I think they may be larger diameter. No sign of uneven pad wear and I haven’t touched them since I bought the car 3.5 years ago.