girling carrier

So I bought a set of front ATE calipers and the guide bushings. However, when you buy the calipers, they do NOT come with the carrier. So, it appears you need to buy ATE specific caliper carriers as well as the calipers themselves. Wish I had known this before buying and letting everything sit until today. First chance I have had to do this and now I have no way to do this before next weekend.

Also, the bushing kit isn’t exactly…precise. The bushing is quite a bit longer than the hole they slide/press into.

If referring to the OE bushings, they are longer (~3/4") than where they mount. As you found out, the carriers are specific to the brand of caliper.

Not sure if you are saying what I think you are saying. I ripped the OE bushings out and replaced with the brass ones. The length of the brass ones are quite a bit longer than the hole you press them into.

Interested in finding out if this is normal. I just installed my brass guides and had he same issue.

That’s normal. Use anti-sieze on them and check them routinely.

And if anyone has any ATE carriers, I will buy them…and I need them quickly, like by Wednesday of this week. Can paypal or whatever.

I think I have an extra set of ATE carriers from my various caliper purchases. I will check when I get home.

I also need a set of ATE carriers if anyone has extras.

pm’d you.

I have a few questions about the difference in girling and ate.

Are they both the same diameter piston? My research says yes. Anyone confirm?

Are the master cylinders the same diameter? Again my research says yes.

Are the rebuild kits interchangeable? This I seem to have conflicting information on. Some places say yes. Some say no.

My research says yes.

Very interestingly enough, AutoZone lists two different masters. One for the girlings, one for ATE. The girling one is more expensive at almost double the price. I would be very curious to see the difference. Since now I know there is a difference I may buy it and inspect/install before Gingerman.

This could explain a lot of my spongy pedal and general feeling something was off with the brakes.

BMW says no. The part numbers for the ATE & Girling caliper rebuild kits are different.

The master cylinder and booster need to be from the same manufacturer (i.e., ATE booster & ATE master). That combination has nothing to do with whether the car has ATE or Giring front calipers.

[quote=“jlevie” post=72216]
The master cylinder and booster need to be from the same manufacturer (i.e., ATE booster & ATE master). That combination has nothing to do with whether the car has ATE or Giring front calipers.[/quote]
In the never-ending saga of “there’s never consensus”…I’ve mixed and matched boosters and MC’s several times. They work fine with each other.

[/quote]
…I’ve mixed and matched boosters and MC’s several times. They work fine with each other.[/quote]
+1

BMW says no. The part numbers for the ATE & Girling caliper rebuild kits are different.

The master cylinder and booster need to be from the same manufacturer (i.e., ATE booster & ATE master). That combination has nothing to do with whether the car has ATE or Giring front calipers.[/quote]

So the booster was a different configuration with same orifice sizes?

[quote=“FishMan” post=72221][/quote]
…I’ve mixed and matched boosters and MC’s several times. They work fine with each other.[/quote]
+1[/quote]
I’m just going on what BMW says. I presume that they had a reason for not mixing those parts.