East Coast types going to Laguna Seca

If we don’t get more folks putting down their $1700, the car transport plan is going to fizzle. Need at least 6 more cars. So far there is only 2 of us (plus the 3 going on Espinosa’s trailer).

The plan for a big truck(s) full of SpecE30’s to head West is cancelled. Everyone backed out. Some of the East Coasties are still coming out for West Coast Champs, me included, but it won’t be on a 10 pax truck. I’m excited to announce that I’m renting a SpecE30 from Shawn Meze.

I lived in California '81-88. I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys have done to the place.

Ranger, consider renting a competitive car with maximum HP. :slight_smile:

Dude, I’m coming out to drink your beer. I might well come in dead last, I’m going to be so protective of Shawn’s car. My goal for the weekend is to be able to exclaim “Damn if Steve doesn’t bring fine beer.”

-Scott “Ranger” Gress
SpecE30 National Director of Morale and Beer.

Well that just sounds fantastic sprinkled with awesome sauce!

What are your plans for lodging? getting around, etc.? Let’s talk about your arrival and make sure you are all set up. We might be renting an RV and parking up on the hill, we may hotel it. Either way, if it is cheaper to fly into LAX (Los Angeles), you can do so and drive up with us. Lots of time to chat, catch you up to speed on stuff and just share bad jokes. We should have cars and trucks up there, too. So maybe we can save you some $ so you don’t have to rent a car while you are here.

The SoCal welcome mat is rolled out brother! Bring it in for the real thing…

My general scheme is to fly into LAX and hitch a ride to/from Laguna Seca. My old college roommate is the “spokesman” for LAPD. Andrew Smith, one of the most hilarious guys to ever draw breath. I’ll shack up with him in Long Beach upon arrival and then in the morning take a cab or something to some LA area SpecE30 type’s house for the trip N.

Then with my new SCal SpecE30 buddy, we drive to Laguna Seca while I regale him with misadventure stories. Or if I can’t get a laugh out of him, I’ll just put in earbuds and listen to books-on-tape.

Once we get back to LA a couple days later, I rent a car and spend a couple days in Ventura. My work has a couple sites out there that I should check on.

Google Andrew Smith LAPD. He’s on a bezillion videos. Greatest guy you ever met. And holy cow do we have stories. I’d hoped to drag him to Laguna Seca, but that’ll never happen. We’d have had the paddock rolling on the ground crying their eyes out with laughter all weekend.

Ahhhh, Commander Smith is well known here for his broadcast updates. I have a few close buddies that know him. They confirm he is a riot and a damn nice guy.

We will find you a ride up and get you squared away coming home…no worries.

I’ve not given any thought at to where to stay in Monterey. I’m used to a sleeping bag in my trailer. On the east coast, the paddock is where all the fun is. Those that leave for hotels at night miss the best times around the campfire.

So wherever the evening hilarity is, that’s where I want to stay. In the paddock, a designated hotel, a local sorority house, whatever.

Re. your buddies knowing Andrew. Dang, small world. That’s cool.

If cost is of concern, you can tent it up on the hill in the RV park there. I suspect there will be enough people there we know to find an area to use. We can find a tent for you and enough supplies for bedding etc. We’ll make whatever you want to do work.

Excellent. Sorority house pls.

Ive got a 5 man tent I always bring.
We plan to camp at the track, it just depends on getting an RV or not. We would rather stay at the track for all the reasons you mentioned. Last year I got to watch a certain tire representative tip over a golf cart in the paddock that was full of drunks. I dont plan on missing that again! :slight_smile:

[quote=“SurferShawn” post=80642]Ive got a 5 man tent I always bring.
We plan to camp at the track, it just depends on getting an RV or not. We would rather stay at the track for all the reasons you mentioned. Last year I got to watch a certain tire representative tip over a golf cart in the paddock that was full of drunks. I dont plan on missing that again! :)[/quote]

Oh my Lord…that was the funniest thing ever. You’re right, we can’t miss that.

Cart Fails

However, the paddock at laguna seca has no bathrooms or showers and is generally quiet. The campground up on the hill is where the action is. I already have a spot reserved.

I plan on staying in the paddock. Laguna does have bathrooms in the paddock. Some nice one sare attached to the garages. They might have showers. Lots of showers up by the sound station between T5-6.

Ranger be sure to bring a few billion gallons of water with you. We need it.

I’m staying at the Motel 6 Salinas, because I’m cheap and there’s a Denny’s next door. If anyone finds an RV rental place that delivers, please share the deets. Laguna is a campground when there aren’t race cars thundering around, so it’s pretty well stocked.

Don’t worry about power, that 00 car has a shit-ton of it.

Sean…check this guy out (http://monterey.craigslist.org/rvs/4980740893.html)

He is in Monterey and will deliver it to the track, set it up and said he would charge winter rates since it would not be driven. Not sure if it is still available, but it was for that weekend.

:huh:

Well, at least one of Shawn’s cars has been on the podium in every race so far this season. Based on the finishes, I would call that pretty competitive.

I’m not sure how many rental cars one could jump into, having not spent any length of time in it, and finish in the top 3…Well, not a rental car that is built to be within the rules, anyway. :whistle: