East Coast Champs thread

Dyno. There is reason to believe that the dyno used at VIR 2 weeks ago is pretty darn close to the dyno used at West Coast Champs last weekend. Larry Frazer’s car got, as I understand it, very similar results at each.

Those that were at last years East Coast Champs know we had some struggles with our race director, the planning of the starts, and serial changes that came out of Timing and Scoring. National SpecE30 director Shawn Meze was the RD for SpecE30/Spec944 race group at West Coast Champs and the whole thing was not just smooth, but it was friendly. It was quite a contrast to last year at RA. Since Shawn will be the RD for us at East Coast Champs, I expect that it will run as smoothly.

that’s great news ranger. we will have two dynos at VIR. one that has been at most MA events and not sure who is running the second dyno. we don’t know which dyno will be ours yet. I am working on it.

Did we secure a spec e30 paddock area?

yes we have a paddock location. I will publish a paddock map and se30 weekend schedule soon.

Could one of you salty veterans of East Coast Nationals (i.e. anybody who ran last year) lay out a brief primer of “things to know and do/don’t do” for us National Noobs? I’ve been racing longer than I should admit, but have never done the National event before.

I’m asking about things like don’t touch the car, even to wipe off a tire booger, while in Impound, (need/no need) for fuel inspection ports, (covering up/no covering up) of foreign decals on cars and suits, requirement of using track fuel, etc. Some of this has been circulated in different forms, but would be great if it could all be pulled together into a checklist format.

I’m not sure that a checklist is going to be created, but I’ll list a few issues.

The NASA drivers meeting at Laguna Seca was more informative than at RA. The SpecE30 meeting at Laguna Seca, and it will be the same guy doing it at VIR, was vastly better than RA. Vastly. So if one pays attention there’s good scoop to be had.

For the love of god everyone needs to make sure that they have all their required decals.

There will be a “Driver’s Info” suite set up somewhere. It has lots of info there, to include contingency info. The front runners need to go study that contingency info and put on required decals for the various contingencies that they were likely not familiar with.

I’ve heard nothing about fuel. Not fuel taps, not designated fuel source, nothing.

Folks need to know the rules of impound. Don’t mess with your car. One can take temps and pressures, but that’s all.

Impound is going to suck if there isn’t some chilled water available.

Read up on the protest procedures. Get a form (which I have personally never done) and have it stashed in your trailer or something. I’m not talking about piddly-shit, I’m talking about things like jumping the start, gaining advantage by cutting the course, banging into you and gaining advantage, passing under yellow, etc. I’m kind of new to this idea myself, but a lot of those things that we are used to working out at our leisure after the race, aren’t necessarily going to get worked out at a national event unless the process is initiated by a protest form.

Tape up the decals and patches of other sanctioning orgs on your suit and car. Make it look neat enough that it’s not obvious.

To be one step more conservative, I would specifically ask at the driver meeting about checking tire pressure. CCR 17.1 says you can check temps, but says nothing about pressure.

Cliff

[quote=“cpp” post=81460]To be one step more conservative, I would specifically ask at the driver meeting about checking tire pressure. CCR 17.1 says you can check temps, but says nothing about pressure.

Cliff[/quote]

I think I can help here. This is what I think are some of the things you will need.

If you come to me with rumors, I will listen. Do not expect me to take action because you simple spread a rumor in my ear. If you want a specific inspection or action to happen, you will need to fill out a protest or request for action form.

my biggest 3 pet peeves:

1. not checking your results info after the first session for correct spelling, car info, class, car number ect. I will NOT babysit this stuff and if its wrong for the event, whos fault is it? Says so in the CCr even. :slight_smile:
  2. I dont care if you are not a front runner, put ALL the contingency stickers on your car and put them where the sponsor wants them. You just never know who might get DQ’d. They peel off easy enough after the event.
  3. Shut up and listen in the drivers meeting. I dont think I need to expand on this thought. Im more than happy to discuss anything with everyone, one on one, but when its the info I just put out and I noticed you are too bust on your phone or talking with friends… nuff said right.

Tire pressures at impound. Dont touch them. The race is over, there is really NO reason to collect data at this point after the champ race. I know there will probably be info given out at the main drivers meeting saying you can do it. Im here to tell you dont. I saw more people letting air out of tires than I care to mention. (Not in SE30 ) Its just a bad idea and can foster a protest. Id rather eliminate all the chances for people to protest that I can.
The only time you can check tire temps and pressures are anytime during or after the morning warm-up. Anytime during the qualifying session. Never after any race.

If at impound you are having a situation like what “Sandro Ponza” had, get myself or a tech officials attention so we can verify you are turning on a fan switch or opening the hood, whatever the case. This will also protect you from a protest, or DQ. be sure to HOLLAR!! Ill get right there and help out.

On track conduct is just as important as off track conduct. Hear me now and know it later, I HATE car contact forms. I expect everyone to race as hard ans possible and at the same time, race clean! I sent one driver home who had completely avoidable contact that destroyed another car. NEEDLESSLY!!! You must take car of one another on track or this class dies. Its as simple as that.

Any contact resulting in damage that nets the other car to not pass the 50/50 rule, will result in a 1 race suspension. It happens every year. Dont be that driver. PLEASE dont be that driver. This should be a fantastic time for everyone and I dont think any of you want to trailer home a waded up car.

Ill have more info for you at the track, otherwise I wont have a reason to have a meeting… unless Sandro Ponza is bring us all Jello shots? :woohoo:

As I said, if you have any questions at the event about anything, feel free to ask me anytime, im happy to help.

In the event rules it states…

1. Spec E30, 944 Spec, and Spec Miata will be required to use the track pump
    93 octane in all timed sessions.

That sucks.

It’s great for anyone close on power.

But then again, I bet it’s not going to be $6+ a gallon like it was at the WCS. (For 91 octane)

Let me see if I can change that rule.

Ya, that gas at Laguna Seca was expensive. Heck, at $4/gal all the gas in CA is expensive. Only diesel is reasonably priced. I think I bought all the gas that Steve and I used and that was >$300. Christ, I almost never spend >$50 on gas.

I ran the whole weekend on 87 octane from the 7-11 in town :silly: Track gas is expensive.

Good news!
We are not required to run under the track fuel rule.
Verified today by Will Faules.

Excellent news Shawn. Initial event schedule posted today, linked from http://nasachampionships.com/east-event/

West Coast based Steve Agoston is thinking about coming to VIR. Who knows of a rental that might be available?

What is the process to name “crew” for the available passes? I haven’t seen anything published on the mechanism to let NASA registration people know who the designated crew will be at check-in.