Do you drive or tow?

Since Spec e30 is a budget class, I’m just wondering how many people trailer their cars to the track and how many drive 'em there. How did you decide to do what you did?

If I were running in HPDE I wouldn’t mind driving the car to and from the track. You have a high probability of driving it home after the weekend.

Racing is a different story.

As a group the Spec E30 guys run very clean races and frown upon any metal to metal contact. That said, in racing "stuff" happens and we aren’t the only cars on the track. I would not consider driving my "race car" to the track. There is a chance that your transportation back home will not be any shape to get you there. If your going to race, towing is the only way to go.

brain wrote:

[quote]If I were running in HPDE I wouldn’t mind driving the car to and from the track. You have a high probability of driving it home after the weekend.

Racing is a different story.

As a group the Spec E30 guys run very clean races and frown upon any metal to metal contact. That said, in racing "stuff" happens and we aren’t the only cars on the track. I would not consider driving my "race car" to the track. There is a chance that your transportation back home will not be any shape to get you there. If your going to race, towing is the only way to go.[/quote]

+1… we tow, even if it is an HPDE

As far as I know, Alex and I are the only racers who drive to the track.

But we are only an hour from Summit. VIR is a little painful at 5 hours.

Post edited by: han, at: 2006/02/27 15:55

Let’s just say my ears were ringing the day after I drove 4 hours back from an HPDE. A few weeks later, they started the GM employee discount for everyone. Picked up a Duramax. It makes the whole track weekend a bit longer, but oh man the drive to/from is so much more comfy. I try to tuck in behind a convoy of bigrigs, set the cruise control and not have to worry about the NASCAR race that’s going on in the left lane.

I’m not racing yet, but I’ll be joining Han and Alex driving to the track. What Brain said is obviously true, I just don’t have the funds to make a tow vehicle a reality. Plus, there’s all that racing to and from the track that Traqrat alludes to! :evil:

Sasha

Racing to and from the track is not a good idea if your in Virginia. 20mph over the limit or any speed at or above 80 mph will get you a wreckless driving ticket and a very good chance of spending the night in jail.

cheap towing altermative is to use a tow dolly vice a full trailer.

good article in GRM about this topic

http://grmotorsports.com/news/032005/getting-your-race-car-to-the-track-safely.php#more-82

Post edited by: brain, at: 2006/02/28 14:31

Here’s why Brain is the only one among us who can tow (to quote the GRM article):

"Actually, there is a fourth item required for safe towing: a brain behind the wheel."

Thanks for the link. I’ll be doing things ass-backwards and installing a hitch on my SpecE30 so I can tow an extra set of wheels and a tool box to the track.

I was kidding about racing to the track. But last May while running One Lap of America, I switched cars with the two other M3’s I was traveling with (another e36 sedan and an e46). During a late night transit on an empty VA interstate we traveled 129+ mph briefly. It never seemed like a good idea, even at the time, but upon hauling it back down we calculated that we would have spent something like 6 weeks in jail had we been busted!

Sasha

Ex36 wrote:

[quote] During a late night transit on an empty VA interstate we traveled 129+ mph briefly. It never seemed like a good idea, even at the time, but upon hauling it back down we calculated that we would have spent something like 6 weeks in jail had we been busted!

Sasha[/quote]
Once way back when I was much more stupid, I was coming back to the beach from Tampa very late in the night and was going 125 or so across the Bay on the bridge, once I hit land again, the highway is 6 lanes each way and deserted so I kept it on and after about 4-5 miles saw the lights coming…so I just stopped and waited. Sherriff said thanks for stopping, here is your tkt for 90… slow down and have a good night. On my way I went 200.00 poorer

While my Spec E30 won’t be completed until June/July timeframe, it is currently a HDPE car. Once the cage goes in, it is going to remain street legal and my plan is to drive to and from events. I too will probably attach a stubby trailer for spares/tools.

There is always a chance the car will not be drivable at the end of the weekend and that is a risk, but I know a large group of friends who end up at the same events and should the worst happen (knock on simulated wood grain it never does) I am confident that I and what is left of the car would be able to get home.

However, from my understanding it is an inevitable progression from driving to the track, followed by bringing a small tow-behind trailer to the track, then you buy an open trailer and try to use the wifes SUV, finally culminating with the purchase of a Diesel truck the size of an M1 Abrams and an enormous covered trailer with everything but the kitchen sink. Just accept it…

kchildre wrote:

[quote]While my Spec E30 won’t be completed until June/July timeframe, it is currently a HDPE car. Once the cage goes in, it is going to remain street legal and my plan is to drive to and from events. I too will probably attach a stubby trailer for spares/tools.

There is always a chance the car will not be drivable at the end of the weekend and that is a risk, but I know a large group of friends who end up at the same events and should the worst happen (knock on simulated wood grain it never does) I am confident that I and what is left of the car would be able to get home.

However, from my understanding it is an inevitable progression from driving to the track, followed by bringing a small tow-behind trailer to the track, then you buy an open trailer and try to use the wifes SUV, finally culminating with the purchase of a Diesel truck the size of an M1 Abrams and an enormous covered trailer with everything but the kitchen sink. Just accept it…[/quote]

Yes, friends to bring your wreckage home is a good thing (please don’t ask me how I know) but fortunately Deputy Fife also has a truck bed big enough to haul the "stubby trailer" home too…Doh, that is a complication!

Chuck "Stinky" Taylor and the soon-to-be-skunk-striped black 89 325is

Not that I would do this again, but I did 155 indicated (not a BMW) on 29 between Danville and Lynchburg. There is a really long stretch, then a slight bend before going down a hill. No top speed limiter, but hit rev limiter for about 3 seconds in 5th gear.

Since we’re talking about it…

I’ve seen 145 a couple of times in my LS1-powered '04 GTO. Both times I was on a deserted interstate with clear weather. It got there very quickly and was still pulling strongly when I eased out of it.

Some of the new GTO guys have canceled their speed limiter (164 mph) and have seen 172 in the Nevada desert. I don’t think I’ll be doing that…

Another interesting fact is how different track driving can be, compared to street driving. During a pace lap, I’ll scuff my tires by moving left and right. Last year, I noticed that I was doing this at 70 mph. Imagine what the public would think if someone did that at 70, on a public road. :ohmy:

Carter

Carter wrote:

[quote]Since we’re talking about it…

Some of the new GTO guys have canceled their speed limiter (164 mph) and have seen 172 in the Nevada desert. I don’t think I’ll be doing that…
[/quote]
Indicated or actual?

Incidentally, I know 5 guys who got yanked out of their cars (all E46s) at gunpoint on the way to VIR a couple weeks ago. They had been cruising (stupidly) at ludicrous speed for about 1 hour in Virginia. Anyone who knows anything about speed patrol in VA would never ever do that. But these clowns all got major reckless driving tickets (100+) and have now retained a lawyer as a group.
Lucky damn lawyer.

170mph indicated on the m&m bridge in a modified mazda rx7 twin turbo. It was very stupid, and it was about 4 years ago at about 2am with no traffic. I keep it on the track now, for one I can’t afford tickets and I enjoy having a liscense and a life. Reckless ticket = dad very mad which in turn = no more racing or life!

p.s. VA is a horrible place to speed, state troopers will rip you right out of you car and into the back of theirs no questions asked.

Post edited by: MikeD, at: 2006/03/03 12:18

mrussell wrote:

[quote]Carter wrote:

[quote]Since we’re talking about it…

[/quote]
Indicated or actual?

Incidentally, I know 5 guys who got yanked out of their cars (all E46s) at gunpoint on the way to VIR a couple weeks ago. They had been cruising (stupidly) at ludicrous speed for about 1 hour in Virginia. Anyone who knows anything about speed patrol in VA would never ever do that. But these clowns all got major reckless driving tickets (100+) and have now retained a lawyer as a group.
Lucky damn lawyer.[/quote]

They say that the GTO speedos read about 2 mph-high. According to the roadside "Your Speed" radar units, mine reads about 2 mph high.

Of course, driving 100+ on a public road for an hour is not smart, for many reasons.

MikeD wrote:

[quote] Reckless ticket = dad very mad which in turn = no more racing or life!
[/quote]

Let’s hope dad doesn’t follow the boards :ohmy:

I have seen about 145 also (from the passenger seat) in a students 996 twin turbo at Sebring. That is plenty fast when all you have a helmet and a lap belt.

I’d never do that kind of speed on a US highway. You just never know what is around the next bend.

Don

he does! Like i said it was 4 years ago, and I don’t participate in those types of activities anymore. When he saw the video he was not very happy!

Post edited by: miked, at: 2006/03/04 14:01

It may get worse for VA drivers…

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1611

[quote]Summary as introduced:
Assessment of fees by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on certain drivers; use of fees collected. Requires the DMV Commissioner to impose and collect fees on drivers who have accumulated more than four net driver demerit points or have been convicted of reckless driving, aggressive driving, driving on a suspended or revoked license, DUI, or any other misdemeanor involving operation of a motor vehicle. Annually, minus the cost of collection, the funds shall be deposited into the state treasury and credited to the county, city, or town where the assessed person resides according to his address on record with the Department and, in consultation with the Commonwealth Transportation Board and the General Assembly, shall be used to pay for residential and secondary road improvements. This bill has been incorporated into HB 527.
[/quote]