Coming back soon (well kinda)

Been out of racing since 2006. Just bought myself a 1989 325i that I will use as my daily driver for the next two years, while I convert it gradually to spec E30.

There is no turning back now. Must…get…back…into…racecar.

Here is what I’m starting with:

Already has D-force wheels, urethane throughout, proper Bilstiens, sway bars, and tons of good maintenance.

I may attend a couple of track days here and there to test her out before I am running a full season.

Cheers.

Ryan

Hey Ryan, welcome. Where are you located? I think you mentioned you knew Jeremy Lucas so I’m guessing Ohio. I look forward to seeing you at the track in the future, let us know if you need any help. Also PM me your email address if you get a chance so I can add you to our list of drivers in the Great Lakes and Midwest regions.

I’m in Saline, MI.

Yes, I know Jeremy from my SCCA days. We used to race in the same class for a while (SSC).

Well, things have turned a bit for the better.

The Altima in that first picture in the background was what is keeping me from getting back into racing. Well, I finally found someone to take it on trader in. The RV dealer is taking it and I will be taking delivery of a Forest River Work and Play car hauler.

So, in about 5 weeks, the E30 will be heading to the garage pit and begin teardown. I don’t know if I will end up making it to races next season, but I sure will try.

I’m curious if I will have to go through the whole relicensing process, since I haven’t raced since 2006?

Getting excited here. Now I begin the search for a tow vehicle.

Nice ride! That’s going to make a great racing car!

I’m hoping to start tearing into it soon. Not sure how much I can get for all the stock bits. Found a cage builder locally who is well known. Price looks really good too.

I was super disappointed back in '06 when I had to drop out of everything.

Glad to hear it Ryan!

If there’s anything I can help with, let me know.

For right now I think I’m all set. I had to do some intake gaskets and injector o-rings on the car this past weekend. Went ahead and did the valve cover gasket as well and checked the valve clearances.

I was going to rebuild this engine, but it looks so unbelievably clean, I do not plan to do anything. I’ll have to check compression and leakdown when I get a chance, but with my limited budget, I’ll probably just run it till she blows. I may have to replace whatever is leaking near the oil pump though.

Biggest thing I need to do is take the tranny out and rebuild it. Never done one of the Getrag 260s before. Hoping it isn’t a bear to do.

I do have to find a dually truck before I start doing this though. So if anyone here knows of someone selling a tow vehicle (3500 dually 4-door 2wd), let me know. The faster I get a truck, the more time I can spend prepping this thing over the cold months.

Project has begun. I realized the other day that I probably won’t be able to fully convert the car to SE30 specs for another year or so.

Right now the car has:

Bilstein HD shocks
Eibach pro kit springs
25/22 sways

It needs a few things/bits like camber plates, and probably the rear bushings, mounts. I may or may not convert everything right now. I can run the car as is in PTE, and all I have to do is get the cage/saftey equipment.

Who knows, though the project has begun. Already contacted the cage guy and will hopefully have some build pics soon.

So, another year has come and gone. Christmas was decent this year.

I now have most of everything I need to get the car running in race spec.

Finished the front suspension yesterday.

Does anyone have a stock aux. fan I can buy or just the wiring lead for it? I’d like to use that to wire up my fan.

Transponder, rear mirror, fr. suspension, belts are now in!

I have to install the spec exhaust and start on the rear suspension now.

It will be ready to run for the 2012 season. I’ve basically planned out 2-3 race weekends.

If anyone, seriously, would like to help me finish building this beast, I would greatly appreciate it. I’m in Michigan and the garage is heated with plenty of tools. With my wife and kid around I’m always getting distracted or pulled away from the car.

Where in MI? What region do you plan to run?

I’m in Chelsea. I had planned on running Grattan, Gingerman, Mid-O, or something similar nearby.

Also, anyone know where I could get grey or white undercoating to use on the interior?

Look at brush on truck bed coatings.

I’ve got a place in coldwater. If I get over there and have some time, I’d be happy to shoot up and help out.

That’d be great. Let me know.

Thanks.

Easiest way to get ahold of me is email:

Foglght@gmail.com

Probably not getting over there before Feb. Will that be too late? First race at Autobahn is late april!!

I’m not in a rush by any means. I will be out on track this year in some capacity. Just lots of little things to get done.

I’m good at holding beer and ordering 'za.

Oh deer…can you weld?

I need to figure out where to cut the stock exhaust to install the spec one.