Coil overs in the future?

While at the track last weekend i was talking to another racer about the handling characteristics of the e30 and some of the problems that came up were the sway bar issue with the rear being too much and also horrible tire wear. we then started talking about coil overs for the e30 and how its not fair that we dont get them and miatas do. the argument came up that this series is all about being cheap well H&R race spring are about 350 while GC coil overs are 400… i think most of us would be more than willing to pay the extra 50 to avoid all the frustrations of not being able to actually corner balance our cars and to rid the world of the softest race spring in history. so what i want to do here is bring up a discussion of the pros and cons of coil overs in the hopes that maybe we could get a rule change. now i understand this would be a huge change in the way we all set up our cars and race, but i personally dont think its a bad change especially when we could use stiffer springs to help the sway bar issue, just do the spec rate thing. maybe even get GC to cut a good deal on the spec spring rate for the racers. so have at it, id like to hear the rest of community on this one.

For everyone that currently has a built car, the price differenc isn’t $50. It’s $400.

I not really looking to drop another $400 at the moment.

Matt

I’m good with the H&Rs. I really have no desire to spend the time or money to corner balance my car on Ground Controls.

which GCs are $400? i ran them on an e30 previously and they were much more than $400 for the entire setup including the perches.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=121/CA=98

$400 bucks and maybe since some people dont want them we could write the option into the rules, as with the exhaust, you can run the stock exhaust but we all know that exhaust sucks in comparison to the spec exhaust so people who dont want to change can continue to drive on the H&R springs

I personally would love some higher rate springs to be spec’d, it would also make us more competitive when racing in other classes but it does go against the idea of keeping things spec if you keep changing the spec all the time.

i understand the purpose of the spec class but what about the weight change…? all im looking for is to see if there is enough interest in going to a spec coil over setup to consider changing the rules, i understand that there are alot of people that would be initially against it but i think it is an ultimately beneficial change to the future of this race class.

I don’t think this idea will ever fly simply because you are asking every racer to swap suspensions. For what? So your car handles better? I actually like the sloppy suspension, I think it promotes better racing. I also don’t want anything I can adjust. I race spec so that the cars are fairly equal and non adjustable, I don’t care so much how fast the car is or how it handles etc. As long as we are even, the cars race well and I don’t have to adjust anything I’m happy. If coilovers interest you then you should race GTS or some other open class, you are missing the point of a spec class if you start getting hung up on making the car faster. I do see some benefit in handling better compared to Spec Miatas but it no way compares to having the spec suspension changed. Also the weight change was free and didn’t require a lot of labor. My 2 cents.

Well said Simon. +1

have to agree with simon.

[quote=“Speedracer” post=57733]http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=121/CA=98

$400 bucks [/quote]

that kit doesn’t include the shocks as far as I can see.

+1 for keeping the H&R springs! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

Keep the H&R’s absolutely. no need to even consider.

Drive-gear.com

Simon wrote the reply I was considering writing. I love SpecE30 because it is a spec series and we are all driving on the same stuff.

I see no need in opening up that box…

These cars are an absolute hoot to drive…I’ve raced on $15K shock & spring packages in a pro series and I’ll take the soft H&R springs and spec package any day.

[quote=“Speedracer” post=57754]i understand the purpose of the spec class but what about the weight change…? [/quote]That rule change made me money. I sold 50# of ballast on the basketweave-and-old-tire black market. :laugh: Just kidding. Trunk tar ain’t worth much either. I guess it did cost about $5 for spray paint on the trunk floor.

You can already adjust corner weights under the rules. If you don’t know how, ask. The rear sway bar is plenty stiff in my opinion. I have it adjusted almost full soft at almost every track we run. Any bigger bar would cause wheelspin like you can’t imagine.

If I decide I want a faster more capable car I’ll build a 2002 :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Steve D” post=57830][quote=“Speedracer” post=57754]

You can already adjust corner weights under the rules. If you don’t know how, ask. The rear sway bar is plenty stiff in my opinion. I have it adjusted almost full soft at almost every track we run. Any bigger bar would cause wheelspin like you can’t imagine.[/quote]

i wassnt talking about a stiffer rear bar i was talking about stiffer springs rates which would allow us to run the rear bar disconnected with better results

I agree with Simon too.

ok i see everyones point on wanting to keep this a no-brainer racing series, however i just need to point out that not to far from here there is a huge discussion about allowing MS into the series, i dont see how that would be more accepted over coil overs, ive done MS before and it is no walk in the park. just sayin