Cheap rotors

AUTOPARTS123.com has front rotors for $16.11 and rears for $15.15. They offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more.

On top of that, there is a 10% discount code (SANTA) until 12/31/2008.

I just ordered 4 rotors delivered for less than $58. Nice…

When you use cheap rotors like this:

1. Is there any noticeable difference in performance?
  2. Do they need to be replaced more often than OEM- types?

This is like really exciting to me if cheap rotors work nearly as well as the pricier ones.

Gilles wrote:

[quote]When you use cheap rotors like this:

1. Is there any noticeable difference in performance?
  2. Do they need to be replaced more often than OEM- types?

This is like really exciting to me if cheap rotors work nearly as well as the pricier ones.[/quote]

I can only speak about my experience. I have tried 4 different brands including Brembo blanks. I could not tell any differences in performance or in longevity.

The front rotors all last about 10-14 track days for me depending on the track. The rear ones last forever unless I let the pads wear down to the backing plates and ruin them.

I usually keep one rear rotor as a back up and keep on ordering front rotors as wear items.

Rotors are wear items, so if you can get them cheaper do eet!! I have been buying mine at advanced for about $20 a piece, and can’t see any difference between them, and the brembo blanks I ran before.

Just placed order $56.27 awesome!!!

This is one of the only areas on the car that I will skimp. I’ve also tried a range of rotors, and the good ones crack just like the cheap ones. I “borrowed” a set of cryogenically treated rotors which did seem to last longer, but didn’t make financial sense, when the cheap ones are SO cheap.
No difference in performance IMHO.
-Vic

I know lots of drivers are switching to quality rotors after the fatality at summit last month (caused by exploded rotor). Even if it doesnt really make a difference, you get peace of mind.

victorhall wrote:

[quote]This is one of the only areas on the car that I will skimp. I’ve also tried a range of rotors, and the good ones crack just like the cheap ones. I “borrowed” a set of cryogenically treated rotors which did seem to last longer, but didn’t make financial sense, when the cheap ones are SO cheap.
No difference in performance IMHO.
-Vic[/quote]

If you have not already realized it, Vic is tricky man. So is his advise genuine, or is he looking for an “RA-1” advantage by saying this? Buyer beware. :woohoo:

allenr wrote:

Robert,

Can you conclude that a rotor sold at discount is what caused that horrible incident? I think maybe the better comment might be that it is crucial to always check your equipment between each session and be very aware of wear patterns not trying extend product life when it is a life-saving element like brakes.

Let’s not start a discussion or rumor about how name brand rotors are “safer.”

I’ve got no proof… but its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

They’re on to us, they updated the prices.

Now it’s ‘safer’.

I received the rotors today and amazingly, they are Brembo(made in Italy) rotors.

Normally when I buy from them, it has been made in China rotors.

$14.49 for Brembo rotors delivered. :slight_smile: I don’t see the cheap rotors listed any more but they do show up from time to time.

csrow wrote:

[quote]I received the rotors today and amazingly, they are Brembo(made in Italy) rotors.

Normally when I buy from them, it has been made in China rotors.

$14.49 for Brembo rotors delivered. :slight_smile: I don’t see the cheap rotors listed any more but they do show up from time to time.[/quote]

I got mine, they are not Brembo, but I am happy, and will have no problem putting them on the track car

I saw rear rotors, but no front rotors.

John

I received mine and the fronts were Brembo. Thanks for the tip!

Steven

Front rotors are back in stock but at a slightly price of $17.64.

There is a $10.00 off coupon code ‘2009’ good until the end of February. Free shipping with $50 or more.

I couldn’t order more than 2 fronts? Is it just me? I ordered some rears to get it over $50 as the shipping is $50 otherwise.

I just ordered a set of 2 fronts 2 rears. $58.46 shipped. That is a good deal.

considering the number of us ordering parts from this place, they need to make “Mr. Junky” CEO.

Well, they must have a limited inventory - I just tried to order, and they came up not available.
Ed