Buttonwillow 6.23-24.2012

Forecast, cool temps in the mid 80’s nice for that part of the country in the end of June!

Not too familiar with the track, configure Race1 CCW for the weekend, is that the opposite of what we ran three years ago? Who’s testing Friday??? SurfDude???, Ferrario???, Shoe??? I need your track secrets ASAP, Friday morning will do!! G&T’s for all who help……………….

I know you SoCal guys know how to BBQ so let’s put together some din din one of the nights? Where do we park? Do we park together?

What’s the PLAN?

My computer is out of ?mark ink!

Bennett,

Yes CCW 1 is pretty much the same as CW 13 that we ran 3 years ago. See Shoe’s video!!!
https://vimeo.com/groups/SpecE30/videos/31706521
I will be going down Thursday and testing on Friday. I would be more than happy to give you all the go fast secrets that you will need :wink:

scott, mind sharing those secrets with my pops and i? we will be coming down thursday night or early friday morning for testing on friday and will need all the help we can get to get up to speed.

BBQ sounds good!

Does anyone know if BW has RV hookups like T-hill?

[quote=“jsclough” post=66571]Bennett,

Yes CCW 1 is pretty much the same as CW 13 that we ran 3 years ago. See Shoe’s video!!!
https://vimeo.com/groups/SpecE30/videos/31706521
I will be going down Thursday and testing on Friday. I would be more than happy to give you all the go fast secrets that you will need ;-)[/quote]

HUM!

Does anyone know if BW has RV hookups like T-hill?

They do!!!

http://buttonwillowraceway.com/facility/rv-park/

They do have water and electric hook ups. Spaces are limited. If you want a space, you should call the track now.(661) 764-5333 They may already be taken. We (se30 guys) park together near the timing and scoring building. A few camp, a few have rv’s and the rest stay in hotels. There are no rv hook ups in this area. For those who camp the track does have showers.

Allan

can i run a 100 foot extension cord from the SE30 camping area to a power box somewhere? If not I will just Tap into the Rileys RV power :slight_smile:

Hey guys! I will be there early friday afternoon. We usually try to do a course walk friday evening, right after the track closes. It should be light out until almost 8pm so we have lots of time to get out on track and see whats out there. Im happy to help anyone who wants it. (Im not racing, just doing Series Director work ect.)

The image is the east garages of the Buttonwillow paddock. The Red [color=#ff0000]XXX[/color] indicate where the Midnight Oil Semi usually parks for all the events there. They rent garages 5-6-7 so im sure if asked, they would be happy to allow for some electrical hookups.

The [color=#ff0000]red[/color] area is where id like for all SE30’s to pit together. first come first serve but we ill try to section these areas off so we can all pit together. The [color=#0000ff]blue[/color] area is secondary pitting. Just dont pit on the lower section of the [color=#0000ff]blue[/color] area as this is the impound area. These are the ideal areas for us to pit in if at all possible. We will have at least one drivers meeting (aka, “meet and greet”) after the NASA drivers meeting out near the Midnight Oil Semi so we can go over a few things about the event.

Thanks for the Diagram. Im planning on getting down there later on Thursday, is there a gate? if so what time does it close? Will there be a problem camping at the track on tursday night?

Thanks

Larry, if you see a nice spot for the rv next to you and power could you grab it for us? We will likely be down there late Thursday or early Friday morning as we plan on testing all day on Friday. Thank you in advance and we will be sure to share some AC with you and power for your trailer.

There is a gate and its open 24/7. You will just need to stop and sign in ect. No problem camping at all.

Will do! I should be there around 7 or so thursday night.

Race boys, here is a forward welcome to Buttonwillow.

It is HOT. It is DIRTY. The wind blows and the sun will bake you. When the wind is not blowing, the sun will bake you even more. The track will get slippery and your times will get longer as the day goes on. That is all valuable info if you use it.

Park near the area Shawn highlights. You can run cords from the garages.

Bring way more water than you think you will need. Bring towels to soak in ice and put on your head. Bring shade. and extra changes of underwear.

1 CCW is fun. It is a finesse track not a HP track. screw up one turn and you probably just screwed up the next three. There is not too much to hit. the front wall if you over shoot the turn on to the front straight. there are two dirt walls that can wreck your car as well so find them and don’t hit them.

Set up your car to deal with the heat. There is a tire shop with shaved RA1s. They have ice too.

As pointed to by Scuff I have a video that may help.

There are not a lot of passing zones, but there are enough. Put yourself upfront in Q.

The town has almost nothing. THe truck stop of Buttonwillow 10 minutes from the track, along the HWY 5, is not the town, but is where you will get a hotel. They are all rough. Just try to get a room away from the Freeway. They have a Starbucks for you NorCal wine drinkers. Willow Ranch is a great BBQ resturant. It has an outdoor area to eat, if you are eating late enough, and another indoor group area. Family run place I have always enjoyed it.

Midnight Oil makes great drinks so if you start,… you won’t make it to Willow Ranch.

My car set up is more like Infineon then THill at BW.

The biggest warning I have frankly for BW is the dust. Try to stay on track, if you go off, you will create a large dust cloud, especially if you get sideways, which will hang… if there is wind it will slowly blow away. I never drive through a cloud. I have had to drive out into the fields several times in my 7 years of running there, because I could see, there was nothing to hit, and if I drove into the cloud,… well you just don’t know. It is genuinely scary. Other BW regulars can speak up on their opinions. For me, it just isn’t worth it. I have seen a couple T-Bones there it wasn’t pretty.

I like BW. It is like that Uncle that is rough around the edges, you don’t ask your wife to hang out with him, but you really get a kick out of it!

Weather update:

Friday 102
Sat 85
Sun 84

Nice writeup Kevin.

I’m planning on camping there. Do we have a lot of people camping there?

Also, What about a BBQ party Saturday night? I’m bringing my BBQ.

I will be camping for sure, Kevin thanks for the advice I am really looking forward to running with you and all the other guys next weekend.

Brad we all know you throw the best BBQ’s so i will be happy to throw in for some fixins.

Dave-o & myself will be camping over…

[quote=“theShoe” post=66663]Race boys, here is a forward welcome to Buttonwillow.

It is HOT. It is DIRTY. The wind blows and the sun will bake you. When the wind is not blowing, the sun will bake you even more. The track will get slippery and your times will get longer as the day goes on. That is all valuable info if you use it.

Park near the area Shawn highlights. You can run cords from the garages.

Bring way more water than you think you will need. Bring towels to soak in ice and put on your head. Bring shade. and extra changes of underwear.

1 CCW is fun. It is a finesse track not a HP track. screw up one turn and you probably just screwed up the next three. There is not too much to hit. the front wall if you over shoot the turn on to the front straight. there are two dirt walls that can wreck your car as well so find them and don’t hit them.

Set up your car to deal with the heat. There is a tire shop with shaved RA1s. They have ice too.

As pointed to by Scuff I have a video that may help.

There are not a lot of passing zones, but there are enough. Put yourself upfront in Q.

The town has almost nothing. THe truck stop of Buttonwillow 10 minutes from the track, along the HWY 5, is not the town, but is where you will get a hotel. They are all rough. Just try to get a room away from the Freeway. They have a Starbucks for you NorCal wine drinkers. Willow Ranch is a great BBQ resturant. It has an outdoor area to eat, if you are eating late enough, and another indoor group area. Family run place I have always enjoyed it.

Midnight Oil makes great drinks so if you start,… you won’t make it to Willow Ranch.

My car set up is more like Infineon then THill at BW.

The biggest warning I have frankly for BW is the dust. Try to stay on track, if you go off, you will create a large dust cloud, especially if you get sideways, which will hang… if there is wind it will slowly blow away. I never drive through a cloud. I have had to drive out into the fields several times in my 7 years of running there, because I could see, there was nothing to hit, and if I drove into the cloud,… well you just don’t know. It is genuinely scary. Other BW regulars can speak up on their opinions. For me, it just isn’t worth it. I have seen a couple T-Bones there it wasn’t pretty.

I like BW. It is like that Uncle that is rough around the edges, you don’t ask your wife to hang out with him, but you really get a kick out of it![/quote]

Nicely done Shoe…having experienced the Moon Dust of Buttonwillow…do yourselves a favor and bring a leaf blower and a shop vac to the track. I had about a cubic yard of Moon Dust invade the interior of my car back in 2009 on a spin…I had to beg/borrow/steal a shop vac to get it some of it out.

See you guys there…the #44 is a KIA so I’ll be there as a spectator cheering on my “homies” B)

Looks like we have at least 31 entries so this should be a fun one!

Gentleman, I am really looking forward to meeting the NorCal crowd and sharing the track with the largest field SoCal has seen. I wish all of you good luck and safe travels.

Shoe gives good info on this one. I will add a few things that Shoe did not just to give you guys some info that I have not heard yet.

As for the track, CCW1 is the best configuration to run and is much more technical than you might think. You can get to speed quickly and to abou 85% within a a session. However, the last 15% is REALLY tough to get right.

From Start finish…Sunset (turn 1) has a dip at the apex and there is a good amount of grip in the middle. Just say away from the top 1/3rd of the turn on the start…that’s where the bad people live. If you are near there on any other laps, there may be a race going on but you’re probably not in it.

The Esses get tighter as you come into them. Stay off the burms and be smooth to the last one on the right…you can run that one over and set up for an early apex to a straight line brake effort in Star Mazda.

You gotta nail Star Mazda. Tun in is slighly later than you think and you want to open the wheel ASAP on exit. Track out all the way to the gators on the right and hammer down just before the apex to get the maximum run up the straight. Stay track left for best position for Phil Hill.

A left foot brake into Phil Hill is best to just slow he car down enough to get it lined up for the blind apex. Let the car get light and keep your eyes down track for where you want to be. The car will feel like it wants to slide off track right up to about 4 feet from the edge. If you keep your foot in it, you will hold and just clip the gators of the right. If you do, you got the corner right.

The small corner the right is not one to run over as you will have a head of steam and it really upsets the car.

Set up on the right for Riverside/Taladega. Turn in for the left edge and ride that edge until the car wants to track out. When it does, let it. Take it right to the track edge on the right and keep your eyes on the braking zone before the bus stop. If you do it right, you will never open the wheel and the car will naturally turn into the braking zone head.

Turn into the Bus Stop early and let the right side of your car ride over the dirt, but make sure to hold your line with controlled speed so you track out staying off the burm on the left. DO NOT GO OVER THE BURM ON THE LEFT WHEN YOU TRACK OUT! That thing has a rut on the left side that will take out your oil pan…or so I’ve heard.

Follow the curve to club corner and just breath the throttle to make the left. Brake once you come down off the dip out of the left hander and turn in mid corner for the set up for Cotton Corner. The approach is basically two left turns that, when taken right, are bascially one big sweeping turn. Apex late and keep the wheel turned at the top of the hill.

Power down the hill and late apex the right hander at the bottom. Don’t turn in early for the left hander leading onto the straight. You will feel like you want at first, but wait a half second before you turn in. Again, eyes up for this corner and you’ll be fine. The defensive line on the left side can get you in trouble as off ramp is slick. Feel the grip and judge your braking zone carefully. He with the best trail brake wins here as carrying speed is tough. If you can manage to do so well, put the power down for the short shoot to sunrise, which leads on to the front straight.

Sunrise is a longer turn than it looks like and most people make the mistake of apexing too early. BE CAREFUL with this turn. If you track out too far and end up on the gators on the left side, don’t try to save it if you are going to go off. You have an EXCELLENT chance of ending up in the wall on the right if you don’t go off straight. Go stright, regain control and follow the road ahead back to the main straight. Hammer down to the stripe.

There you have it.

Remember, the ruts here are deep, so you DON’T want to go off sideways. If you have to go off, do so straight and you will live to fight another day. Go off sideways and you have a more than 50% chance of doing major body work by the end of the weekend.

Oh, one more thing…this track loves orange cars and it tends gives them the optical illusion of being a foot wider than they really are. ;0)

Hope this helps…