Bumpers

erupert66 wrote:

[quote]
Aren’t these different topics (pardon the question from a newbie)? The question here is whether or not bumper substitution can happen. The "cow catcher" valence is the spoiler which I believe from reading the rules is "free" as long as it complies with the stated specs.

I plan on making mine from the plastic sheeting that they use on dirt-track cars. $30 buys a 4’ x 8’ sheet. I have lots left.[/quote]
The spoiler is related to the bumper in that the early "diving board" bumpers and the later integrated bumpers use very different spoilers. Spoilers for the later bumper are relatively inexpensive and readily available. Not so for the earlier bumpers.

The earlier cars are EASIER to build a spoiler.

Look at mike davidsons car. It is a 1987.

I used black HDPE about 3/8 inch thick. Bolted to tabs that already exist under the chin. Use big washers inside and out to spread the load.

Use a heat gun to bend it around the corners.

Trim it with a sabre saw and drill holes for the oil cooler /brake ducts.

I curbed it many times, took it off road. never broke. tough as nails.

Much easier than my 1991 since the 1991 has a crappy spoiler that falls off if you breathe on it.

Aluminum bumper cars are the way to go in this series…

Got a photo of that spoiler?
I’m facing the same problem with mine. I refuse to pay the silly money those "is" spoilers go for just to bugger it up.

Look under photos. #30 art car. that is my old car. Now Mike D’s car.

You can see the spoiler in that.

Plastic came from a the stuff they lined a go kart track course with. Any major plastic supplier in a half way decent sized town can get HDPE.

Ric is right. It has also endured several off-course excursions under Mike’s hand. It also makes a great platform for brake ducts.
Ed