Brake fading and brake cooling ducts

I’m running backing plates from Mason Engineering http://www.masonengineering.net/. As someone else previously mentioned, the idea is to direct high pressure air into the hat of the rotor and then allow the vents in the rotor disc to do their job. This provides a more uniform cooling of the rotor.
[br]

Nice kit, but it looks like installation requires removing hubs. Is that the case?

Yes, these particular ones did. I was already replacing my hub and bearing assemblies so it was not a big deal. However, I don’t see what would stop one from cutting the backing plates so you could slip them on behind the bearing without removing it. Also, they did not have holes drilled for the ABS sensors! I figured that out after I had put them on, DOH!

Has anyone actually done any measurements to tell with certainty that it is cooling at an acceptable rate? Anyone take measurements of temps with the cool color tape before and after to see the difference?

Granted our cars were designed with brake ducts from the factory, but some cars’ aerodynamics don’t actually force air through the tube. Not saying these solutions don’t work, I just haven’t seen any data or anything proving they do…at least any better than the stock ones.

I ran the whole season with the regular factory ducts without any brake fade issues.

I think the largest benefit to running cooling ducts is increasing the longevity of parts. I agree with you that you can eliminate brake fade without cooling ducts simply by using the correct combination of rotors, pads, and fluid.

Two questions:

1. Are there any performance benefits to cooling ducts?
  2. Does the investment in the cooling ducts out weight the operational costs over time of replacing fluid, pads, rotors, calipers, bearings, etc…?

I slacked this year and never even bled the brakes the whole season. I usually bleed them once a weekend.

Ran on the same set of rotors all season (China ones at $20/each).

I don’t think our calipers suffer from spreading, so the issue would be the rubber bits. Haven’t seen any initial wear, but I’d replace them after 2 seasons anyway just to be saf(er). I haven’t rebuilt the rear calipers. They are as they came as a street car (and rotors)with some cool Carbotech pads.

I suppose you could make an arguement for wheel bearings, but again if the rotor isn’t cooling down any more, what is the benefit?

Good questions though.

I don’t run brake ducts and don’t plan to install them. In fact, on some tracks like Road Atlanta and Charlotte with long straights, I tape over the factory brake ducts in the lower valance. Brake fade or increased wear doesn’t seem to be an issue. Why add weight, cost, and complexity to the front end that you don’t really need? Just my 2 cents…