Another \"Can I remove this?\"

I’m working on an '88 coupe. Can I ditch the trim panels below the rear window? I don’t see 'em mentioned specifically in 9.3.13.22, and once you pull out all the other rear seat stuff, they’re kind of left loose and flopping around.

On another subject, if anyone in the Denver metro area sees a decent "i" motor for sale, please drop me a line.

Good find!

Yes, remove them. And we’ll add it to the Rules.

Thanks.

Carter

Thanks! They are gone.

IIRC, I asked about them, way back when, and was told they were considered part of the "interior trim" group and didn’t need to be specifically mentioned to be removed. The post is somewhere on the boards.

Mike and I are adding it to the '07 Rules.

Carter

They’re around. I just bought a 325i complete 4 door for $200. Also a pulled complete motor for $275.

Are you looking for anything specific?

I’m in Castle Rock. Rich.

RichV wrote:

[quote]They’re around. I just bought a 325i complete 4 door for $200. Also a pulled complete motor for $275.

Are you looking for anything specific?

I’m in Castle Rock. Rich.[/quote]

The car has a super-eta motor with an "i" intake and ECU. I also have an "i" cam lying around, but it’d obviously be totally illegal. My plan is to get the suspension and cage sorted out, and built to SE30 specs. Then I can at least run it at schools and DEs. But eventually I’ll need a legal motor. Right now the other stuff has higher priority, but I am keeping my eyes open for a decent motor.

I’m up in Niwot, which is between Boulder and Longmont. Don’t blink, you’ll miss it.

What about the third brake light mounted in the rear panel?

I can’t be certain of this (it’s been a while since I read the rules, and I don’t race yet) but I though the NASA rules required a third "high mounted" brake light.

Perhaps I am mistaken though.

can’t say I recall reading something like that
bruce

kioneo wrote:

[quote]I can’t be certain of this (it’s been a while since I read the rules, and I don’t race yet) but I though the NASA rules required a third "high mounted" brake light.

Perhaps I am mistaken though.[/quote]

Leave the high 3rd light on the car. You need all the visiability you can get when braking into that first turn!

Yeh, that makes sense! Don’t want to be too overzealous in removing stuff.

Proeagles wrote:

Definitely part of the "If it’s not specifically mentioned…"

And Proeagles is correct. I want everyone behind me to know when I’m using the brakes.

Carter

one convertible trunk deck lid for sale including the pimpy attached 3rd brake light…

My 3rd brake light is from a E46 Sedan. It’s a super bright strip of LED lights about a foot long. I’ll attach it to the roll cage so it pops out visually more because of it’s size, brightness, and position than the stock one. There’s no way you can miss it. Similar premade strips are made for alot of applications, you can grab them in the ricer section at autozone. I just found this one in the shop sitting and it works great.

Rob:

While we want everyone to see your tail lights…remember one thing. If it’s not specifically mentioned in the Rules, it must stay as it came from the factory.

Adding/moving/changing brake lights isn’t mentioned so they should stay as they came from the factory.

Carter

In the early style cars (pre 89’) the third brake light mounts to the rear parcel shelf. On the later style cars it mounts independently of the parcel shelf directly to the bottom window frame.

I am of the school of thought that the 3rd brake light is a good thing to have. However, while prepping the car I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get it mounted in time for the event.

As a result I searched the rules and kept an eye out this past weekend. No where in the GCR does it say that a 3rd light must be present, only two (most of the FFR cars only have two).

My question is; since the 3rd brake light mounts to the parcel shelf and the parcel shelf can be removed legally, can the 3rd brake light in early style cars be removed or "modified" ala Rob’s and still be considered legal?

I had to fab up a custom mount to run mine. Once again, I don’t disagree with having one, but maybe we could clarify the rule to say it MUST be run.

JP

155MPH wrote:

[quote]
My question is; since the 3rd brake light mounts to the parcel shelf and the parcel shelf can be removed legally, can the 3rd brake light in early style cars be removed or "modified" ala Rob’s and still be considered legal?

JP[/quote]

+1 - I’m going to have to add one back in, mine went with the interior panels :blush: NASA rules said two must be present, I didn’t think any more about it til now. Rookie…

Please don’t remove the third brake light for everyone else’s sake. It makes it much eaiser to see you brake when in a crowd at very close quarters. It weighs maybe one pound.

155MPH wrote:

[quote]

I am of the school of thought that the 3rd brake light is a good thing to have. However, while prepping the car I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get it mounted in time for the event.

As a result I searched the rules and kept an eye out this past weekend. No where in the GCR does it say that a 3rd light must be present, only two (most of the FFR cars only have two).

I had to fab up a custom mount to run mine. Once again, I don’t disagree with having one, but maybe we could clarify the rule to say it MUST be run.

JP[/quote]

First of all, we don’t want anyone to miss a race weekend because of a minor item. If you hadn’t got it mounted, it wouldn’t have affected your weekend, from an official view.

And by not mentioning that the third brake light can be removed, by default, means it must stay in the car.

Carter