Another \"Can I remove this?\"

It is so easy to make a mount out of aluminum to put it back in the stock location I see it as a no brainer. The low weight of the light assy means you can use quite thin aluminum. I used .025. It can be bent in the vice by hand. A couple screws into the thing and ta-da!

Carter wrote:

[quote]155MPH wrote:

[quote]

My question is; since the 3rd brake light mounts to the parcel shelf and the parcel shelf can be removed legally, can the 3rd brake light in early style cars be removed or "modified" ala Rob’s and still be considered legal?

JP[/quote]
By not mentioning that the third brake light can be removed, by default, means it must stay in the car.

Carter[/quote]

Carter - This doesn’t answer the question. The rules state that the parcel shelf can come out and with it comes the 3rd light assembly. This was my interpretation, not because I wanted the light out, but when I removed the shelf, the light came with it. My interpretation would be that the rules should be written - "Rear Parcel Shelf can be removed but the 3rd brake light must be retained. On early cars this required fabrication of a 3rd brake light mount" if you want people to know that the light must stay.

He is right. You can’t mount the 3rd brake light without the parcel shelf unless you fab up something. I hate rules minutiae as much as the next guy, but the solution is not spelled out in the current rules. As it stands now…you can’t remove the parcel shelf, because the light attaches to it. Even though the rules say you can, you can’t.
Right?
Uh, right?
Uhhhh…

My cage builder fab’d a bracket for the 3rd brakelight, it looks great, works great, and I’m damn glad to have it back there when I’m at ABS-threshold (or in heavy rain) in heavy traffic. Not that anyone asked, I would really like to see all the other SpecE30 cars ('86+ models) keep their 3rd brakelights. If you lose another bulb, it provides a sort of "backup."

I searched for "parcel shelf" and got nothing. Therefore…

However, it’ll burn or flop-around if it comes loose. Mike and I are going through the final details of the Rules and are including the specific removal of the parcel shelf material. The 3rd brake light must stay, regardless of what needs to be done to securely mount it.

Carter

Please consider the rule to allow us to replace the 3rd brake light.

As long as there is a 3rd brake light…

Carter wrote:

[quote]I searched for "parcel shelf" and got nothing. Therefore…

The 3rd brake light must stay, regardless of what needs to be done to securely mount it.

Carter[/quote]

The brits call it a parcel shelf, it’s the rear decklid. And you are correct (I think) that I can’t find specific mention although it would seen odd to allow one to basically gut the interior but have to keep the rear decklid. I didn’t see any cars with one installed at the last event (although I only looked at a few).

Guess I’ll need to find a brakelight as mine went in the trash along with the panel and the rest of the interior bits. :frowning:

I’m kinda new around here and have been lurking and looking for answers to questions I have regarding the rules. This Carter guy seems to pop up everytime there’s a question or a doubt. Obviously very knowledgeable with the rules. Is there a way I can get a hold of him privately to ask a few questions and go over a few things on a build I am currently working on? The "just" of it is that I started to build the car for BMWCCA KP. NOW, after the cage is in and the interior is clean, the guy decided he wants to build an SE30. Some of the things that are done can be undone but others are going to be next to impossible to accomplish. Or if he reads this my email is: ricky(at)vikingfibres(dot)com Many thanks in advance.

Ricky

Carter Hunt and Mike Mills are the series administrators, our benevolent dictators.
carterhunt@aol.com
mike@mwmills.us

There are also regional directors in most active regions.
cheers,
bruce

Thank you very much

RedRocket wrote:

[quote] This Carter guy seems to pop up everytime there’s a question or a doubt. Obviously very knowledgeable with the rules.
[/quote]
:laugh: Yeah it’s easy for him since he (and M.M.) made them. I see that Bruce already gave you their contact info…Although I have no influence how you contact them, I would suggest that you post (at least most) of the questions in public forum because:

• most likely question has already been discussed and someone can point you to it (faster response for you)
  • It helps SE30 community in general as it generates/preserves/educate the rest of the members with their builds (especially future members)

Igor