2nd time on track with the E30

I am looking at getting my comp license this year. I am coming from a high HP car to the E30. It is well on its way to be a Spec car, :slight_smile: I however am not coming along as fast. :dry: (but I am trying)

I was at Poconoā€™s South East Course with NASA last weekend. I will be at NJMP Lighting this weekend. I use to be able to make up for less then perfect performance in the corners by using my right foot on the straights. I donā€™t have the luxury any more. :unsure:

Here is my video from Pocono. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fiyZGpH6Xk#t=13

Iā€™ve never been to Pocono but. Use your passenger seat. Iā€™m sure you can find someone who knows what theyā€™re doing to ride along. You should also get a ride in someone elses car who preferably has some wheel to wheel experience. Second the concrete curbs and the cones they have set out indicate where the car should be. At racing speed this is where the car naturaly ends up. There were some left handers where you are clearly turning in too tight. You should end up with the car parallel to the edge of the track with the tires touching the concrete.

The Pocono config is new and not so good. I will be at NJMP Saturday with my buddy who is an instructor and has an E36 M3 that he races. He will spend some time in my right seat and we plan on doing some lead follow. I think the lefts you are talking about are the ones going on to the front straight. yup, they looked bad on film.

Thx for the comments

First initial thoughts: moving hands around way too much.

Try to keep them in one position as much as possible. If that is not possible, adjust your seating position. Ideally, you should aim for 9 and 3 position to start. Some people like lower, but the key is to not waste time moving your hands around, and try to stay connected to the wheel as much as possible. Remember, you want the car to be an extension of yourself, so you want uninterrupted feedback whenever possible. Do that with keeping you hands on the wheel and in one position.

Focus on that first and then you can move on to something else.

First goal in racing should be trying to be smooth, these are momentum cars and you will lose time if you try to jerk the car around with sudden movements.

Smooth is Fast.

There is more that could be learned from this video, but you only want to focus on 2-3 things at a time. Work on those, and get them polished, then move on from there.

Good observation. I need to have my seat moved forward. I decided not to have an adjustable seat for safety reasons. After this weekend I will drop it off to have that done.

Thx

I was at Pocono too. :slight_smile:

What group are you running in? What is your experience level? I would be wanting an instructor with me every single time as I see quite a few places you could be faster on that track. Granted, thatā€™s more of a training track than a race course, but itā€™s a very challenging one with a lot of unusual corners. I thought Iā€™d hate it, but my first time there was actually a lot of fun and challenging.

I timed a random lap of yours at 1:25.13. I was turning 1:20ā€™s. (Sorry, havenā€™t figured out how to embed)

http://youtu.be/fSrdh1bTb_A

I will be at NJMP this weekend instructing again. Stop by and see me.

Hi David-

I am running in group 4. I will be at NJMP Saturday. I have a right seat that is empty in case you need some one to drive you around the track for a session! LOL

The E30 is very different then what I am use to but I am dedicated to learning it and eventually racing Spec E30. My buddy is a racer/instructor. He was suppose to come with me but had to bail at the last minute. He started in E30 and now has an E36 M3. He has been very helpful with my driving but even more helping me get this car turned from a $1,000 piece of junk to almost race ready.

See you at the track!

Greg

Greg, I have car #821. Not too hard to find, just look for the most unique tow vehicle in the paddock. :wink:
Iā€™d be happy to ride along and say horrible things about your skills, also known as ā€˜constructive criticismā€™.

I have think skin so get on board! I have a blue Expedition tow vehicle and #6 E30

[quote=ā€œddavidvā€ post=77717]Greg, I have car #821. Not too hard to find, just look for the most unique tow vehicle in the paddock. :wink:
Iā€™d be happy to ride along and say horrible things about your skills, also known as ā€˜constructive criticismā€™.[/quote]

Thx for the ride along on Saturday. I am looking into getting the Spec exhaust and intake. I just need to track down the guy in PA the fabricates the exhaust.

Paulā€™s phone # is on the forum Links page. Heā€™s a phone guy, not an email guy.

Good luck getting anything from Mr Poore. I called him multiple times about buying a skid plate for three E30s and never heard back. Thankfully I bought a fully prepped SpecE30 with exhaust. The SpecE30 rules need to be changed to avoid single point failures.

Phone guyā€¦ really??? Itā€™s 2014

I will give him a call today.

[quote=ā€œppatrickā€ post=77740]Good luck getting anything from Mr Poore. I called him multiple times about buying a skid plate for three E30s and never heard back. Thankfully I bought a fully prepped SpecE30 with exhaust. The SpecE30 rules need to be changed to avoid single point failures.

Phone guyā€¦ really??? Itā€™s 2014[/quote]

I sent him an email and called. He emailed me back with in a few hours. I am going to pick up the exhaust next week.