Wiring Harness

I am trying to figure out what engine and fuel rail harnesses I can safely use. My car was born an eta, in 10/1986. It is now an i (obviously) but the original fuse box and connector remain. There are a myriad of harness numbers from different dates but i want to make sure in ordering one that i don’t end up with a smoking fuse box or worse.

Also, anyone know where i can get a new harness withouth waiting forever from Das Homeland?

If you want a new harness, it will almost certainly wind up having to come from Germany. The odds of a dealer having one just laying on the shelf is slim.

For that car you can use any M20B25 harness from 9/87 on. The only risk of “smoking” a harness occurs if pin 20 of C101 is grounded and you use a harness from 9/88 on. A guick meter check and possibly snipping a wire will take care of that for all time… If using the stock dash, mods to a 9/87 or later harness (or to the car side of C101) are necessary to get the tachometer to work.

I figured out that i have the post 9/87 c101 but not sure yet on the ground. Good to hear from you! Thought you might have disappeared!

As I said, the potential ground issue is easy to deal with.

Work and other issues have kept me off the track this past season. I hope this coming year will be better.