Windshield tear-off. Good idea?

I just put in a new windshield and would like it to last longer then a 1/2 season. How hard it is to properly install the tear-off’s? Do you end up with something that is optically correct?

Why don’t you experiment with it and let us know how it goes.

Gasman wrote:

Now that jape was low hanging fruit.

I think they’re a good idea. I 'tried’to put one on my car.

Here is a speed tip - don’t do it at the track. In fact don’t drive your car until you have it on (ie right after the windshield has been replaced).

I got one from Chuck and even after one or two track sessions at RRR my windshield was already marked up enough to make the installation not good.

Of course I’m not good at putting stuff like that on. Shocking to anyone that has seen my flawless decal application I’m sure.

So to summarize:
Buy one from Chuck
Do it right after windshield install
Know what you’re doing or have someone that knows what they’re doing help (‘do’).
Don’t install at the track but in a nice garage out of the sun

Chuck and Patton actually have them functioning on their car.

With the cost of replacement glass…well, maybe that is not a good arguement 'cause I’ve seen some cheap glass. With the cost of labor or aggravation of do-it-yourself, the tear offs are a great idea. While you are at it, purchase a skid plate, some shock tie-downs and removeable hood pins from Chuck @ 770-350-2382 (shameless promotion).

Regards, Robert Patton

As soon as my windshield finished pitting and cracking to death (i.e. after Rockingham) I’m going to replace my windshield (got one ready and waiting) and put one of Chucks tear-off’s on before a bird has a chance to poop on it.

It’s a long story but it took me three tries to get one to stick properly. (Not product’s fault. Installer problems.)

Here is a tip. Install it on a hot day with no rain and no pollen. Use lots of soapy water and get a good squeegee.

It may be my poor installation but I could not get use to the optical distortion on some areas of the film. The distortion was giving me a headache so I just cut out a viewing area.

This video shows the cut out area. You can see the area the best when the video background is dark.

http://vimeo.com/975336 Password is ‘rrr’

If you are going to put on the film, do it immediately before you pick up any chipping or the windshield gets dirty.

After about six month of daily driving and about 20 track days, my film has started to turn cloudy from the adhesive separating from the windshield. It’s showing up mostly under the windshield wiper area.

Since I drive my car as a daily driver, I use whole lot more windshield wiper than a typical race car.

It’s getting pretty bad so I think I am going to pull it off completely.

Here is a video from VIR. Password is ‘vir’ Look at the windshield during T1.

Mine went on 2 months ago and so far so good. More or less anyhow. I put it on a new windsheild. I cleaned the heck out of the windsheild, used tons of soapy water and cleaned the heck out of everything. I also did some trimming so the tear-off had 1-2" of clearance all around. I was insanely anal about there not being a single particle of whatever trapped under the tear-off.

Nontheless a lot of stuff got in there, god knows how. So there’s lots of little bubbles because of the particles that got in under the tear-off.

If I had to do it again I would cut it vertically in 3 pieces and do each on separate days. That would make wrinkles less of a problem and make it a lot easier to make everything perfectly clean.

I’ve got one on my car. Put it on a virgin windshield without too much trouble. Takes a little bit of learning, but isn’t bad. I did notice that it has started to get a “pitting” effect on it after a full season (two, really).

Big crack in my windshield (more than a foot long, easy) so I’ll throw in my 2 cents and pick some up after I install new glass.

I installed my second film back in October. The second one went on very well and I have no optical distortion. I guess practice makes it better. I just used plenty of soapy water.

I have 8 track days on it (some in rain) and it’s holding up well.

It’s amazing to see how many little pits you pick up after just one day on a track.

I tried hard to make my install perfect. And it really didn’t turn out that great. If I had to do it over again, I’d cut it into 3 pieces, L, center and R. The biggest problem is that dust will get in between window and film during the install. It’s surprisingly hard to defeat this. By cutting it in 3 pieces you can focus on the cleanliness of the install one small piece at a time. The 3 piece approach should also prevent wrinkles. If you are feeling frisky, try two pieces.

Yes, you will end up with some vertical lines on the windshield, but that’s not nearly as annoying as the bubbles that dust specks create.

+1 for lots of water.