Windshield install question

I am being a given a pretty good front glass to replace the cracked one on my race car. Anyone got advice / techniques that would help me with the switch?

Thanks
Tom

Let the car sit in the sun to get the gasket good and warm - that will soften the gasket and make it much easier to work with. Have a helper to work one side while you work the other. After removing the locking strip, start at the top outside corner of the windshield and pull the seal up with one hand on the outside and push out on the inside of the glass with the other hand and have your helper do the same on the other side. Once the top of the windshield is free and clear of the seal, removal is easy - just lift the glass out. For installation, sit the new glass in the bottom of the seal and gentley work around the seal pulling the outer lip of the seal out starting at the bottow of the a-pillar and the working your way up the a-pillar. The glass will eventually drop into place as you work your way around the seal. You can re-install the locking strip without the special tool but it’s much quicker and easier with the tool - I think the locking strip tool is approx $20 from BavAuto or BMP or you are welcome to use mine at CMP. This is a quick and easy job. I’ve did it three times now…

Steven

I think you pretty much have to get the tool for the strip. I tried for an hour or so without it. Couldn’t get it to go. I duct taped the window in place and drove slowly around the corner to the windshield shop. He had the tool and a bottle of soapy water and put the strip on in 10 minutes and charged me $20.
Something to consider if you’re near a shop.

Getting the lock strip in without the tool isn’t so bad once you get the hang of the technique. We lubed the inside/outside of the rubber gasket so it can slide over the strip much easier. A thin plastic body puddie knife came in handy pulling the gasket over the strip. It’s still a PITA.