Windscreen / Glass removal

I’ve heard that it is very simple to remove the glass from an e30, but I can’t find information ANYWHERE on how to do it.

I’d like to remove all the glass so that I can paint my cage. Does anyone have any tips or a write-up on how it’s done?

I have a '90 325is with fixed rear windows.

Thanks!

Matt

You’re right. The windshield and back glass are held inside a rubber channel. (not like some cars where they are gluey good in. There will be a chrome or black strip in the rubber channel. This can be pryed up at the end of one of the strips. Carefully pull the strips up and out. Then you push forward from the inside at the top of the glass. The glass will rotate out and you can set it aside with the rubber channel still in place on the car. Getting it back in requires some lube.

The rear vent windows can be removed by disconnecting the latch. Then the two nuts that are hidden inside the B pillar. The hinge is part of the window. You can see the lower hole in the B pillar in the following picture. The nut is on the opposite side.

Thanks Jamie. That does sound very simple! The car is still with the cage builder, but I’m trying to be prepared for when I get it back.

On the rear windows, mine are fixed (don’t open for venting). I’m starting to think they come out just like the front/rear do. Has anyone removed fixed side windows before?

Does all the glass need to come out for the cage to be installed?

No, not at all. The cage is being built right now and I think all of the glass is still in. Some guys remove the front windshield, but I don’t think it’s required.

I’m planning to paint the entire interior (including the cage) so if it’s easy I’m going to remove all of the glass. If it’s difficult I’ll just leave it in and tape everything up.

You should remove all glass to install a cage because even the most careful welder will get splatter all over the inside of the glass.

Windshield removal is easier if you buy a new gasket. Then you just pull the “rope” and take a razor knife and remove the upper section of the gasket (cut in the outside of the channel) and remove that part of the gasket. Windshield/windows will push out easily.

Pulling the windshield with the gasket in place is difficult if you don’t know what you are doing…I have broken two before I paid someone to put one in the car. Chuck

cwbaader wrote:

[quote]You should remove all glass to install a cage because even the most careful welder will get splatter all over the inside of the glass.

Windshield removal is easier if you buy a new gasket. Then you just pull the “rope” and take a razor knife and remove the upper section of the gasket (cut in the outside of the channel) and remove that part of the gasket. Windshield/windows will push out easily.

Pulling the windshield with the gasket in place is difficult if you don’t know what you are doing…I have broken two before I paid someone to put one in the car. Chuck[/quote]I broke the one in my Vert trying to figure it out… but once you know how it is as Jamie described. it is easier when it is warm and the gasket is flexible.

I begin my cage soon. I’m waiting for my ebay weldder to arive B) I’m pretty sure I have the 411 on removeing glass but how do you get it back in?

I used lubrication. It’ll still be a pain in the …

Getting the window back in the channel isn’t too difficult. Use a plastic wedge like you use to pop off interior trim.

I used Ice car polish as the lube to insert the lock trim. That was difficult.

Teufelauto wrote:

[quote]I used lubrication. It’ll still be a pain in the …

Getting the window back in the channel isn’t too difficult. Use a plastic wedge like you use to pop off interior trim.

I used Ice car polish as the lube to insert the lock trim. That was difficult.[/quote]there is a special tool BMP Design sells supposedly to make this easy.

I’ve got the special tool from BMP - It works and make the install of the locking trim quick and easy. It’s paid off since I went through 3 windsheilds last year.

Steven540i wrote:

You better give Chuck a call before you hit the track

http://www.factory3performance.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=276

Steven540i, any chance you would loan that tool out? …I can return it to you at an event or ship it back…at least if I return it at an event it will have “extra” stuff with it, in the form of beer! :smiley:

Or at least gimme a link to check it out.

Also, the windshield gasket in this car seems alright to reuse for now…but I like the idea of getting the “newer” flexible trim piece - anyone have a good source for these?? …how 'bout a new gasket if I decide to get one?