Window Net installation

Getting my car set up and I have attached the back bottom of the window net to the roll cage with a muffler clamp. It works but it is tight against the B pillar and difficult to take on and off. Any suggestions on a better way? Thanks,

2 Options

1. Weld tabs to the cage and use a bolt so the bar will pivot.
  2. Buy a cable crimper. Attach the bottom of the net with cables.

Would it help to come by this evening and take another look at how mine is set up?

Looks like common sense prevails. I was thinking there might be a magic bracket that everyone knew about except me. Thanks,

Don’t be afraid to use a custom-made window net, as they aren’t really that expensive ($80 + shipping from TeamTech, as opposed to ~$40 for a generic one).

As I have done on an SE30 and Spec Miata, make your upper mount, make your lower mount, and cut a net template out of cardboard. Make sure that it doesn’t interfere with your view of the outside mirror, and note any SFI-related requirements (there is a note about minimum dimensions). Ship the template to Curt at TeamTech (or whoever) with any mounting hardware you have made (if necessary), wait about a week, and you will have a custom window net that doesn’t require steel cables, chains, rods, adapters, or other shenanigans. Note that you should only tack weld the upper and lower mounts to the cage when you make the template, and only final weld them after you receive the net and test-fit it.

Set the leading edge of the net just behind your line of sight to the outside mirror. If you prefer, you can use a mesh-style net and extend it further forward, which allows you to (somewhat) see through it in order to get a good view of the mirror. This particular driver did not want to look through the net to see the mirror, whether it was mesh or not.

Both templates were shipped to TeamTech, and I did not have to move my tack-welded mounts when I received the nets. Of course, I gave very detailed instructions and dimensions, which cut down on the chances of a conflict.

Mark

Here are some photos of the SE30 net that I installed a while back. I used an Allstar spring-loaded upper rod kit, with a few other weld-on chassis tabs from Allstar.

Mark

ON EDIT: Note that no piece of hardware is higher than the top NASCAR side bar; in fact, all parts of the window net attachments are lower than the top of the side bar. You can sit on the bar, slide around on it, etc. and there is nothing to snag your fire suit or poke you in the ass.

Finished side view:
[attachment=1537]WindowNetFinal01b.JPG[/attachment]

Top/front attachment:
[attachment=1538]WindowNetFinal02b.JPG[/attachment]

Top/rear attachment:
[attachment=1539]WindowNetFinal03b.JPG[/attachment]

Bottom/front attachment:
[attachment=1540]WindowNetFinal04b.JPG[/attachment]

Bottom/rear attachment:
[attachment=1541]WindowNetFinal05b.JPG[/attachment]

I used the I/O Port window net and install kit. I think it turned out really well, and I can take pics if anyone is interested. I used a standard rod style mount at the top, and it has 4 long straps on the bottom that you can either run around your door bars or weld the 4 D rings and run the straps through the D rings. I ended up going with the D rings and welded them to the top of my bottom NASCAR door bar so the net comes up inside the upper bar and clears whats left of the door panel.