While we're in there/refresh questions

I have a solid running, 200k motor that now has about 20-25 weekends since its last refresh. burns no oil, starts immediately, no issues. I need to replace my transmission with a recently purchased spare (lost 4th gear). I know I also need to replace the throw out bearing (developed a slight chatter in neutral). Might do the clutch and install an AKG shifter while I’m in there.

I’m also planning on doing the timing belt and the typical tune-up items. I’ll have the local shop do a valve adjustment. I’m wondering what else should be done. My rocker arms are OEM and I have the original head bolts. Should I touch them? Anything else motor-related? How about wheel bearings and studs? How often are you guys changing them? thanks

If your timing belt was changed 25 weekends ago than leave it be.

What kind of refresh did your motor have if the headbolts are original?

Learn how to adjust your valves and do it a couple times/yr. After the first time it will be easy. Don’t over-tighten the eccentric nuts.

Change your wheel bearings when they fail. IMO, change your front studs every 3yrs maybe and rear every 5yrs, assuming 15-20 weekends/yr. Other opinions will vary.

Closely inspect clutch. If it’s thin, replace it and the pressure plate.

Replace everything that even looks remotely like a shifter bushing. There’s gotta be a half dozen wear parts in the shift linkage, they’re all cheap and easy to get to when the tranny is out. The AKG shifter is one of those “direct” ones that doesn’t use a shift carrier? The folks that have those seem to like them, but they are a fair amount of coin and pretty non-standard. If it was me and I was a relative newby, I’d just run the standard stuff. Give it a couple years before you swan off into the wild unknown.

Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, valve adjustment, and all the small stuff. I guess “refresh” was overstating it.

Yes, I had this shifter in my old E30 M3, along with the UUC selector rod. It’s a pretty nice setup (think snick-snick gear changes, with an almost “gated” feel to it), though I agree it is pricey, especially versus the alternatives. I probably would not consider it, except for the tranny r/r.

What’s your verdict on rockers and head bolts?

Pull the head off and take it to a machine shop for a valve job. Have them closely inspect the cam and the journals in the head that the cam spins in. 200k is a high mileage head. The cam might well be shot and if the head’s journals are worn then the head is shot and oil pressure is suffering as a result. The valve job will be ~$400, and a new cam (if needed) <$200. If the head is shot that’s a little harder.

Removing and reinstalling the head yourself will save some coin and it’s really not that hard. Lots of info on the web.

Replacing the rockers would be pricey. I’d let that go unless you’ve got $300 burning a hole in your pocket. But if you do remove the head, drill a couple big holes in your firewall behind the rocker arm retaining shafts. That way when the day comes at the track that you have to replace a rocker you can do it pretty quickly. Rich “Fish” Bratton replaced one in 45min IIRC.

Don’t replace the headbolts unless the head comes off. Which, of course, it apparently needs to do.

Do a compression test. Then after your valve job do a 2nd compression test.