Which Accusump should I get?

I know I’m creating a ton of “what should I buy” threads but I’m going to start ordering some parts soon and would rather avoid buying parts and then finding out that I need something else a few months down the road. In other words, I’d like to avoid reinventing the wheel.

One of the things I’ll hopefully be tackling before it becomes an issue in the low oil pressures that plague these cars during high speed turns. Granted I’m not going to be pushing the limits of the car for the foreseeable future but a single engine failure due to low oil pressure and I’ll be spending 3-4 times the cost of the accusump to replace it.

Anyways, what accusump are you guys using? There’s four that I see on the website: 1 QT, 2 QT, 3QT, and 3QT High Pressure. Note: I’m going to be basing my system off of what Ranger has already done.

Thanks,

I don’t know what a 3qt high pressure is, but I would get the 3qt if you are committed to this path. During my Accusump adventures I saw my 2qt entirely emptied by successive turns at CMP. A 2qt holds about 1.5qts of oil, a 3qt about 2 1/3rd qts of oil, IIRC.

While they’re both listed as 3 QT, it seems like the high pressure one can hold more oil.

24-016 - ACCUSUMP 3QT HIGH PRESSURE NO VALVE (24-016)

The 3 Quart High Pressure Accusump is ideal for big cubic inch engines, those that operate with high oil pressures, and for severe racing conditions. If there is room for a unit of this size, the longer length allows it to hold more air and oil. This offers more pre-oiling and surge protection in a narrower oil pressure range. Has a 22" long and 4-1/4" dia. body.

24-006 - ACCUSUMP 3QT NO VALVE (24-006)

The 3 Quart Accusump is ideal for V-8 and high horsepower V-6 and 4 cylinders engines. It is the original and has been providing pre-oiling and surge protection in all types of racing and recreational vehicles for over 30 years. Has a 16" long and 4-1/4" dia. body.

I was considering the accusump. I have been nearly talked out of it now but depends on the price I can get a used one for. Moroso has some with the valve included for a lot less money than the accusump. I think I was looking on Jeg’s when I found them.

What you should do is consider some statistics. Count up how many SE30 race cars there are, and how many other M20-based track or non SE30 cars are driven vigorously every year.

You might also consider what ‘protection’ most of these cars have. Vast majority are factory setup only. A small percentage run some flavor of crank scraper. A tiny percentage run Accusump or other advanced gadgetry, like the Poore pan.

Then consider how many oil-related failures there actually are, in particular among the cars that run nothing or crank scraper only. It’s pretty rare. Oil starvation isn’t really a widespread problem, and based primarily on Ranger’s double-digit motor count, it seems the harder one tries to prevent starvation, the greater likelihood of actually contributing to it.

My $.02 advice is to spend your energy and resources elsewhere, seriously. Even at free, it’s a dubious investment.